The Techno-Bleg Thread

Highway

Re: The Techno-Bleg Thread

Post by Highway »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 09 May 2020, 20:51 Also, just sayin', there's Pirate Bay, etc.
That's been the general way I've done it in the past, too.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
Warren

Post by Warren »

Highway wrote: 09 May 2020, 21:28
D.A. Ridgely wrote: 09 May 2020, 20:51 Also, just sayin', there's Pirate Bay, etc.
That's been the general way I've done it in the past, too.
Okay boomer.
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

thoreau wrote: 09 May 2020, 19:23 What's a good way to do synchronized movie streaming with friends? My birthday is coming up and I want to do a party where we all watch Princess Bride and Ghostbusters chitchat on an shared audio channel. I'm thinking discord or zoom for the chat. The movie part is tricky.

I looked into Netflix Party but Netflix doesn't have Ghostbusters or Princess Bride.
I've looked at bingetogether.com, but I haven't tried it, yet. I've always done Highway's approach.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Warren

Post by Warren »

*sigh*
Guys please. 1337x.
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

https://syncplay.pl/

Might be worth a try.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

For reasonably priced iPad alternatives check out the Samsung Galaxy Tab s5e, and the Lenovo Chromebook Duet.
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

We're looking at replacing at least one of our macbook pros (2010 and 2012 vintage). I usually buy something in the range of 4 years old, hopefully around $600 or less, but I feel like that might not work at the moment; I get the impression I want to avoid the butterfly keyboard which rules out 2016-2019, and people are saying don't spend money on new because of the announced switch to their own chips. I'm wary of 2015 or older because the reason for this is I want modern enough to easily chew through HD video, no choking, and while I love the value equation of an older computer I want to be *reasonably* future-proofed. So my questions are:

early/mid 2015, anyone know if this is would be good with HD video editing?
Are the butterfly keyboards that bad that I should just avoid any of the models that have those?
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

I'm typing this from a mid-2015 and I'd be surprised if it couldn't handle HD video, but I have to admit I haven't tried. Obvs the post-2015s would be hep to the new TB3 externals if you need that kind of storage. Finding TB2 hardware these days would be more difficult.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

I have a 2015 MBP with the i7/16 GB RAM, and I like it a lot. I can't see it having any issues with HD video.
JD

Post by JD »

I can watch HD video without any issues on my 2012 Mac Mini.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Just bought a Google Pixel Slate tablet (core i5, 8GB RAM, 128 GB SSD) for US$430 plus sales tax. That 12.3" 3000x2000 resolution screen should be alright for reading papers.
dhex

Post by dhex »

been looking at a pixel slate table as a replacement for the current tablet. Screen is nice?
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

dhex wrote: 17 Aug 2020, 10:20 been looking at a pixel slate table as a replacement for the current tablet. Screen is nice?
Supposed to be very good. Haven't received my delivery yet.
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Does anyone here have a Plex setup?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Painboy

Post by Painboy »

Hugh Akston wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 16:46 Does anyone here have a Plex setup?
Kind of sort of. I have it setup so my Xbox can stream stuff from my PC. Haven't really used it for much else.
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Painboy wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 22:07
Kind of sort of. I have it setup so my Xbox can stream stuff from my PC. Haven't really used it for much else.
How do you like it?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Painboy

Post by Painboy »

Hugh Akston wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 22:35
Painboy wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 22:07
How do you like it?
In general it works really well. Streaming looks good. It's a little finicky to setup but once going I had few problems.

Getting your library setup and labeled can be a little bit of a headache. Sometimes it doesn't always find stuff right away. It tries to figure out what things are by their file names which can cause it to mislabel things or miss some things altogether. So you may have to do some manual editing if you want things labeled right.
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Okay, so after three trips to the computer repair store I have a desktop computer that's somewhere around 80% of what it was before the crash. They put in a slower main drive, which tanks my computer performance rating from 7.1 to 5.9, whatever the hell that means, but it definitely is slower loading and just generally kludgier. Also, and this isn't their fault, I've got stuff on different hard disks including, e.g., my music library which iTunes now doesn't automatically recognize. Stuff like that.

IOW, it's running but the proverbial handwriting is on the wall. I'm going to have to replace the computer, probably by building it from components and also probably at a price-point I'm not going to be willing to plunk out for all at once. (Also, obviously, some components don't need to be replaced, e.g., keyboard, monitor, power supply, etc.)

I won't be going for "gaming god" level performance this time around but I've learned over the years to buy more power and performance than I think I need for longevity's sake. That said, if at all possible I want to keep running Windows 7. I'm going to try to make it less painful by buying components over six months or so and holding total costs to as far below $3k as I can without sacrificing much speed, power, etc.

So I'd appreciate advice / recommendations, as follow:

First, a good "build a computer" site I can play around with matching CPU's, motherboards, memory and graphics card.

Second, is Newegg still the preferred shopping site and, if not, where should I be looking?

Third, given that the BIOS in my current computer was last updated in 2008 and the CPU is of the same vintage, what relatively new features should I be looking for? (Dumb example, my current computer doesn't have bluetooth; less dumb, I'm hopelessly out of touch with the latest connector formats, etc.)

Finally, specific recommendations?
Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

pcpartpicker is the site you want for playing around with parts.

The new NVMe hard drives are significantly faster and basically the same price as SSDs, and also take up less space in the case.

3k is a pretty substantial amount of cash for this. :P I spent like 1500 and came out with something pretty robust.
Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

PCpartpicker.com is a good start to comparing parts and creating a list. You should double check before purchasing, but the site will show you prices from Amazon, NewEgg, etc side by side.

Even if you are buying a new monitor and all the peripherals, 3k is way more than you need to spend.

For new features you want, probably a case and motherboard that support USB Type C connectors and either DisplayPort or HDMI video out connectors. If you are buying a new graphics card, even buying a low-powered-but-recent model can have advantages as far as video streaming and options for connection to modern displays.

If you aren't buying a new graphics card, make sure that you get a CPU that has 'integrated graphics' and a motherboard that has the appropriate video outs for your monitor, or get an adapter if you are keeping an older monitor with outdated connector types (this is generally not a big deal).

I would buy a new power supply anyway, because they aren't really expensive and they don't age as well as other components IMHO.

I would start looking at...

AMD Ryzen 3-series or 4-series, 6 or 8 core CPU (or wait for the new 5-series to drop very soon)

a compatible motherboard with basic features,

16 GB DDR4 RAM,

NVME-type 500GB SSD,

and something like a Nvidia 1660ti GPU,

would be a good place to start. Add a card for Wifi if you don't want to use Ethernet, built in motherboard Wifi is ok but may not be the best option.
Painboy

Post by Painboy »

For CPUs price to performance ratio is very much in AMDs camp right now. Look at something in their 3000 line. The 3600 hit the sweet spot a few months ago but that may have changed a bit. If you upgrade your CPU you will need to upgrade your motherboard and RAM as well.

Newegg is okay but I know a lot of people have just switched to Amazon to order parts. Newegg doesn't seem to be quite what they once were (although not bad).

GPUs you will probably want to stick to Nvidia. Hardware wise the difference between AMD and Nvidia isn't huge and AMD can sometimes be cheaper, but AMD still sometimes has wonky hardware drivers while Nvidia's tend to always be rock solid. So if reliability is what you want go Nvidia.

As Jadagul said a $3K budget will get you a very robust computer. But from what it sounds like what you want you probably won't need to spend near that much.
Highway

Post by Highway »

Like others have said, I'll agree that a $3k budget is waaaaay above what you'd be looking at. Unless you are doing video content creation or high end 4K gaming, it's actually hard to get over $1500 dollars with reasonable parts. We bought computers back in February that are not-exactly budget gaming machines that ended up around $1250.

Even if you did want to get the new hotness video card, it's not that terrible of a spend. The recent Nvidia RTX 3000-series graphics cards are so far above anything else that it's almost a joke. The RTX 3070 is releasing at the end of the month at a $500 price point, but the supply will probably be limited. Unfortunately, noone's putting out deals to push the prices of older cards down. In our computers we went with Nvidia RTX 2060 Super cards, and they're just fine for 1080p (HD) gaming, although because I got cheaper ones, the fans do spin up during gaming to an audible level.

My main suggestion is really to sit down and make a list of what you want to do with the computer, which will allow you to prioritize what you want to spend money on. That kind of priority would allow you to spend your money in the best way. It might also help to realize that there's very little in the way of 'sacrificing' going on with latest-gen computers speed-wise unless you are trying to do truly bleeding-edge things. The capabilities of parts are really exceeding the things we are asking them to do.

- Like if you are thinking of doing some gaming, but only going to use a 1920x1080 monitor, then video cards 2 generations old like the 1660, or the lowest rung of the previous generation like the RTX2060, will be fine. There's literally no benefit to spending more on a video card that can do 4K gaming now if you're not going to do 4K gaming now. You'd be much better off putting that off until you decided "You know, I want to do 4K Microsoft Flight Simulator" and buy something appropriate then.
- If you were thinking of making it a media server, and it's going to be in your living room where you'd listen to things, then you want to focus on quietness. That would mean somewhat higher end parts for cooling and probably on the video card, but probably not going to water cooling. Also using all solid state drives: Maybe pay more for a larger NVMe drive, or multiple solid-state drives to not have the noise of a spinning drive.

I don't know what your reasons for wanting to stay on Windows 7 are, but if this is going to be an internet-connected computer, then that's probably the wrong choice. I've come around to thinking that Windows 10 is fine, and really don't have problems with it. If you wanted to ask about some of the concerns you have about Win10, I'm sure people could help with that.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

Windows 10 is fine unless you have a very specific reason it won't work. Also, it will be difficult to get windows 7 working properly on new hardware and Microsoft will be up your ass trying to trick you/force you to update to 10 anyway.
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Dangerman wrote: 05 Aug 2020, 11:21 I have a 2015 MBP with the i7/16 GB RAM, and I like it a lot.
Oh btw I wanted to thank you for the opinion- I ended up getting this model, and it was really fantastic, I love it, best lappy evar... except after a month it started having constant random restart problems. Luckily I bought it from a place with a 1-year warranty so it's going back but I'm sad about it. I liked it so much I'm tempted to get another identical model and hope for better luck.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Dangerman wrote: 16 Oct 2020, 15:34 Windows 10 is fine unless you have a very specific reason it won't work. Also, it will be difficult to get windows 7 working properly on new hardware and Microsoft will be up your ass trying to trick you/force you to update to 10 anyway.
My only gripe with 10 is that the visual cues in the UI around window location are shit and make it a pain if you have a bunch of different windows open to figure out which one is actually active and where the edge of that window is. Constantly bringing up the wrong window when switching back and forth. Did not have that issue in Win7. Otherwise it's been stable and not as stupidly let's-make-everything-look-like-a-tablet-yes-even-workstations like Win8 was.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake