I want to ride my bicycle! I want to ride my bike!

D.A. Ridgely

Re: I want to ride my bicycle! I want to ride my bike!

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Who has the right-of-way is largely irrelevant. Arguably, both parties were negligent. New York is a comparative negligence state, so the jury question would be how to trade off the negligence of one party against that of the other. Maybe the pedestrian is negligent in not looking more carefully before crossing and perhaps is per se negligent if she crossed in violation of the traffic signal. Then again, maybe the cyclist had the last clear chance of avoiding the accident, maybe he was cycling at too fast a speed to be able to react, either or both of which might be deemed negligence.

Any way you look at it, the cyclist is probably going to be found liable for the pedestrian's injuries, though perhaps not entirely liable given the likely finding of negligence on both sides.

So now the most important legal question arises; namely, was the cyclist insured?
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

nicole wrote: The police source comment certainly rubbed me the wrong way -- it is "entitled" to want to ride your bike at the right speed? Ugh. That seems...dickish.
I've read a bit about this incident, and in this particular context, I'd say the police source was correct: whether you're talking about a super-fast sports bike or a super-fast sports car, it is "entitled" to believe that the streets of New York City or the public bicycle or pedestrian paths in Central Park are there NOT so everybody in the city can get around, but so YOU (not "you," Nicole) can experience the thrill of getting the maximum speed out of your vehicle.

I'd say the same about someone driving a Ferrari or Lamborghini or similar car: yeah, I'm sure it REALLY sucks driving that thing through 35 mph stop-and-go traffic when it was designed to zip non-stop and very quickly through scenic European countryside, but if you want to drive that high-power car (or pedal that high-power bike) at its "right" speed, you need to consider the very real possibility that the public roadways and pathways of New York City are not the place to do it.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
nicole

Post by nicole »

Jennifer wrote:
nicole wrote: The police source comment certainly rubbed me the wrong way -- it is "entitled" to want to ride your bike at the right speed? Ugh. That seems...dickish.
I've read a bit about this incident, and in this particular context, I'd say the police source was correct: whether you're talking about a super-fast sports bike or a super-fast sports car, it is "entitled" to believe that the streets of New York City or the public bicycle or pedestrian paths in Central Park are there NOT so everybody in the city can get around, but so YOU (not "you," Nicole) can experience the thrill of getting the maximum speed out of your vehicle.

I'd say the same about someone driving a Ferrari or Lamborghini or similar car: yeah, I'm sure it REALLY sucks driving that thing through 35 mph stop-and-go traffic when it was designed to zip non-stop and very quickly through scenic European countryside, but if you want to drive that high-power car (or pedal that high-power bike) at its "right" speed, you need to consider the very real possibility that the public roadways and pathways of New York City are not the place to do it.
Why are the public roadways and pathways of NYC the right place for people to ride their bikes slowly and dangerously, but not quickly and dangerously? Because more people are slow? (I.e., this is why I'm an anarchist.)
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
Mo

Post by Mo »

Ceteris paribus quickly is more dangerous than slowly.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
nicole

Post by nicole »

Which doesn't apply because it's also the difference between "real cyclists" and "people who don't know what they're doing."

I'm only half-facetious. Presumably it's people like this guy who have "helped" get bike lanes built in so many places. Do you think they're happy about how those lanes have turned out? Taken over by normals when they thought they were extracting something special for themselves? It's kind of an awesome illustration of how impossible it is to live together happily.

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

nicole wrote:Which doesn't apply because it's also the difference between "real cyclists" and "people who don't know what they're doing."

I'm only half-facetious. Presumably it's people like this guy who have "helped" get bike lanes built in so many places. Do you think they're happy about how those lanes have turned out? Taken over by normals when they thought they were extracting something special for themselves? It's kind of an awesome illustration of how impossible it is to live together happily.
I'd guess the owners of super-powerful fine Italian sports cars whose optimum speed is over 100 mph would prefer not having to share the road with ordinary everyday cars puttering around for everyday transportation purposes, yet I find myself thinking "Too bad: legally, they matter as much as you do."

And I'd guess that, all else being equal: in a place like New York, where you've got pedestrians, autos AND bikes all expected to share more-or-less the same space, a bike would have to be operated at a slower speed than an auto, because I gather that, unlike cars, bikes can NOT safely "stop on a dime," as they say; slam on the brakes to drop your car from 35 mph straight to zero, and you'll be fine so long as you're wearing your seatbelt; try dropping your bike from 35 straight to zero and you and/or the bike will flip and go flying.

Whether you've got a car or a bike, though: if your goal is to push yourself and your machine all-out to achieve maximum speed, with no need to worry about pesky slower-moving vehicles or people getting in your way, you again need to consider the very real possibility that densely populated urban areas aren't the place to do it.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Mo

Post by Mo »

nicole wrote:Which doesn't apply because it's also the difference between "real cyclists" and "people who don't know what they're doing."

Just because most people drive like jackasses on the highway doesn't mean I should be shocked if I get a ticket for driving on the shoulder.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Mo wrote:

Just because most people drive like jackasses on the highway doesn't mean I should be shocked if I get a ticket for driving on the shoulder.
You mean the right-side passing lane? :lol:
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
JD

Post by JD »

Thanks to a birthday gift from my mom, I finally got a Citibike membership! And I got $25 off the membership due to a promotion they're running, and another 10% off because I paid with a Citibank card! I can't believe it was about three years ago that I first tried it out.

The good news is that since then, the system has expanded into the part of New Jersey where I work, and they're planning an expansion that will bring the system very close to my home, so theoretically I could bike all the way to and from work. (VERY theoretically, because it would involve traveling on a very large, heavily trafficked road through a lengthy tunnel.) In practice I am not likely to ever do that, but it should be good for shorter trips, errands at lunchtime, and so forth.

The downside is that no matter what everyone says, sweating is still an issue when it's over 80 degrees and you're pedaling a really heavy bike around in the sun...
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Highway

Post by Highway »

JD wrote:The downside is that no matter what everyone says, sweating is still an issue when it's over 80 degrees and you're pedaling a really heavy bike around in the sun...
Who actually says the contrary? That's why I don't think about biking or even walk to work even though it's 3.5 miles, because people don't need sweaty me in the office.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

My cooling system is set to max all the time. I would sweat biking in 60 degrees if there were any hills at all, and I would not stop sweating for hours regardless of the temperature of the environment. Even if I took a shower. I don't even take stairs beyond one flight if I'm in work clothes for that reason. I just get gross the moment my body detects effort of any kind.
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Highway wrote:
JD wrote:The downside is that no matter what everyone says, sweating is still an issue when it's over 80 degrees and you're pedaling a really heavy bike around in the sun...
Who actually says the contrary? That's why I don't think about biking or even walk to work even though it's 3.5 miles, because people don't need sweaty me in the office.
Same with "essence of Trigger". It certainly keeps people from bothering you, though.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

"Live together happily" is a condition less strict than "god emperor of all I can see such that my exact preferences are yea The Law". It is preposterous to have an expectation that you'd get your bike lane and never have to use your brakes for any reason.
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Cat 6 Lycra racers want the normals in the bike lanes so they can take the regular traffic lanes at 25 to 30 mph.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
JD

Post by JD »

Highway wrote:
Some of the real diehard bike boosters in this area deny that anything could ever be a problem. Riding a bike will make you sweat in the heat? No way! The breeze cools you off! And your employer should install showers anyway!
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
nicole

Post by nicole »

JD wrote:
Highway wrote:
Some of the real diehard bike boosters in this area deny that anything could ever be a problem. Riding a bike will make you sweat in the heat? No way! The breeze cools you off! And your employer should install showers anyway!
The shower thing is just like...how many bathroom items exactly do you expect me to keep at work? Also blow-drying is bad for your hair but somehow I don't think you think I should let mine air-dry at work for hours each morning.

JD

Post by JD »

Here's a great example of what I was talking about. From an article on "why don't women bike as much as men":
“I wouldn’t want to be gross the whole day,” one 21-year-old woman told the Times. Well, yes. OK. However. As Simons points out, there are various workarounds to sitting around feeling disgusting all day.

"I think the concern is real, but it’s surmountable, and people deal with that in all different ways," she said. The heft of Citi Bike forces riders to go slow: "It's not like you’re ‘in it to win it’ when you're on a Citi Bike," she added. Face wipes are remarkably effective for dabbing away sweat. If you feel gross after riding, consider a change of clothes, or hopping off a few blocks ahead of your destination and giving yourself some time to rearrange your hair and let yourself dry off. Hint: Bodegas are kept freezing in the summer. "I’ve definitely employed that tactic," said Simons. "Like, ok, I need to just get to the meeting ten minutes early so I have a chance to catch my breath for a minute. But it’s still worth it to me. You can have the same experience in the subway, by the way."
So, biking is a great way to get around, and really convenient, because all you have to do is go slowly, carry a change of clothes, and not go all the way to your destination so that you can stop in a bodega to cool off and wipe down your gross body with face wipes.
Mo

Post by Mo »

A more honest article would say, "Pick your sweaty poison. The subway is broiling and makes you sweat, at least you won't have to deal with the warm stale urine smell on the platform."

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Mo wrote:A more honest article would say, "Pick your sweaty poison. The subway is broiling and makes you sweat, at least you won't have to deal with the warm stale urine smell on the platform."
Or the diesel fumes on the road. Oh, wait...

Painboy

Post by Painboy »

JD wrote:Here's a great example of what I was talking about. From an article on "why don't women bike as much as men":
“I wouldn’t want to be gross the whole day,” one 21-year-old woman told the Times. Well, yes. OK. However. As Simons points out, there are various workarounds to sitting around feeling disgusting all day.

"I think the concern is real, but it’s surmountable, and people deal with that in all different ways," she said. The heft of Citi Bike forces riders to go slow: "It's not like you’re ‘in it to win it’ when you're on a Citi Bike," she added. Face wipes are remarkably effective for dabbing away sweat. If you feel gross after riding, consider a change of clothes, or hopping off a few blocks ahead of your destination and giving yourself some time to rearrange your hair and let yourself dry off. Hint: Bodegas are kept freezing in the summer. "I’ve definitely employed that tactic," said Simons. "Like, ok, I need to just get to the meeting ten minutes early so I have a chance to catch my breath for a minute. But it’s still worth it to me. You can have the same experience in the subway, by the way."
So, biking is a great way to get around, and really convenient, because all you have to do is go slowly, carry a change of clothes, and not go all the way to your destination so that you can stop in a bodega to cool off and wipe down your gross body with face wipes.
See when I read this stuff it I can only conclude people like that simply don't have a job that is really time dependent and they don't care if they are frittering away their day or not. 10 mins here and 10 mins there adds up.
Mo

Post by Mo »

What's interesting is one of my coworkers found that Citibike from Grand Central to 17th Street is a little over 5 min faster than the subway. Despite the subway being frequent and only one stop on the express. It's about 20 min from leaving our desk to the Metro North platform in GCT.

JD

Post by JD »

Yesterday afternoon, I biked all the way from the Manhattan side of the Brooklyn Bridge to the dock nearest my home. Well, actually the one second-nearest my home, because the one nearest my home was full up.

It was fun, but

-the Brooklyn Bridge is kind of a killer, what with the long upslope, extremely narrow paths, no shade, and bumpy road surface

-since the nearest dock to my home is still about a mile and a half away, it's a longish walk...or you just get on a subway. But you could have done that miles and miles back and arrived faster and less sweaty anyway

-pedestrians suck. Oh, nobody was malicious, but people are just unbelievably clueless, wandering out into the road left and right, walking in bike paths, etc.
nicole

Post by nicole »

Painboy wrote:
JD wrote:Here's a great example of what I was talking about. From an article on "why don't women bike as much as men":

See when I read this stuff it I can only conclude people like that simply don't have a job that is really time dependent and they don't care if they are frittering away their day or not. 10 mins here and 10 mins there adds up.
They also don't have a job where they actually have to look good.

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

JD

Post by JD »

I may have a bicycle now! On Saturday, I was walking down the street, and there was a bike in front of a brownstone, with a sign on it saying "Free - please take." You have to understand something about the economics of bicycles in NYC: even really crap bikes (for an adult, at least) usually go for about $150 here. So finding free or very-low-cost bikes here is unusual.

This was a Cannondale C300, an aluminum-frame 8-speed commuter bike. It was a bit rusty, the tires were flat and probably dry-rotted, and the brakes were not in working condition, but nothing was missing, bent, or broken. Everything (other than the brakes) that was supposed to move moved, and everything that was not supposed to move didn't. While I was examining it, a woman came out of the building and explained that it was her ex's, and it had been sitting in the basement for a few years and she just wanted to get rid of it because of the bad juju associated with it.

So I walked it over to a local bike repair place to see what it would cost to get it back in running condition, figuring that if it was unreasonable I could always just put the bike back on the street and let it be someone else's joy/problem. But they quoted me a very reasonable price, so what the heck, we'll see. Worst case, if they call me back and say the price has gone up a lot, I can scoff and tell them to keep it.