Observations of the Random sort

lunchstealer

Re: Observations of the Random sort

Post by lunchstealer »

Shem wrote: 11 Sep 2020, 12:41 Dark Side of the Moon is the greatest Pink Floyd album ever, and it's not close
You misspelled Wish You Were Here pretty badly.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Warren

Post by Warren »

Shem wrote: 11 Sep 2020, 16:33
Warren wrote: 11 Sep 2020, 16:17
Shem wrote: 11 Sep 2020, 12:41 The Wall is the greatest Pink Floyd album ever, and it's not close
Fixed
The Wall is seven or eight amazing songs submerged in a too-long pile of gimmicky crap. The only reason anyone thinks it hangs together is because the movie pounded it even more one-dimensional and served up tits to keep things interesting. Meanwhile, Dark Side of the Moon covers similar subject matter but actually respects the listener enough to not beat them over the head with the points it's making.
Whoa. That is impressively wrong on every point.
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
Shem

Post by Shem »

lunchstealer wrote: 11 Sep 2020, 16:41
Shem wrote: 11 Sep 2020, 12:41 Dark Side of the Moon is the greatest Pink Floyd album ever, and it's not close
When did you start parroting whatever Rolling Stone told you?
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Shem wrote: 11 Sep 2020, 18:13
Shit son, I've owned those albums since the Reagan administration. I first read literally anything out of Rolling Stone in ... I don't know but quite possibly not until the Obama administration.

Dark Side of the Moon is a neat concept, but I don't like any of the songs as well as the closest equivalent on Wish You Were Here.

I actually like Meddle more than DSotM, too, but I'm not ready to say it's a better album, per se, just more enjoyable for me to listen to.

I really dug The Wall when I was in high school, but by age 30, I listened to it once all the way through and realized it had nothing for me anymore.

Animals and The Final Cut are more-or-less Roger Waters solo albums and I'm not a fan of Roger Waters solo work. This is probably also part of why I can't listen to The Wall anymore.

I kind of like A Momentary Lapse of Reason but maybe more nostalgically than on its own merits.

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

Shem

Post by Shem »

lunchstealer wrote: 11 Sep 2020, 18:36
Shem wrote: 11 Sep 2020, 18:13
Shit son, I've owned those albums since the Reagan administration. I first read literally anything out of Rolling Stone in ... I don't know but quite possibly not until the Obama administration.

Dark Side of the Moon is a neat concept, but I don't like any of the songs as well as the closest equivalent on Wish You Were Here.

I actually like Meddle more than DSotM, too, but I'm not ready to say it's a better album, per se, just more enjoyable for me to listen to.

I really dug The Wall when I was in high school, but by age 30, I listened to it once all the way through and realized it had nothing for me anymore.

Animals and The Final Cut are more-or-less Roger Waters solo albums and I'm not a fan of Roger Waters solo work. This is probably also part of why I can't listen to The Wall anymore.

I kind of like A Momentary Lapse of Reason but maybe more nostalgically than on its own merits.
Wish You Were Here just doesn't hang together as an album. The concept is too muddled (it's a loving tribute to Syd Barrett that was sewn onto a somewhat too inside-baseball critique of the record industry) and the sound comes across as a patch for the shortcomings of Dark Side of the Moon rather than a new sound in its own right. It hits some powerful beats, (I don't think stronger than the best of DSotM, but I can see the merits of the argument) but as an album, it's just not as good.
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

I can understand this sentiment.

Jake

Post by Jake »

Warren wrote: 11 Sep 2020, 17:28 Whoa. That is impressively wrong on every point.
Wait, so there aren't tits?

**stops Googling in disgust**
"One doesn't want to be a Chicken Little but OTOH does the sky look closer to you? It looks closer to me." -- Warren
Warren

Post by Warren »

Jake wrote: 12 Sep 2020, 00:15
Warren wrote: 11 Sep 2020, 17:28 Whoa. That is impressively wrong on every point.
Wait, so there aren't tits?

**stops Googling in disgust**
There may be. It's been too many years since I've seen it. I remember liking the animation in it. I you think The Wall is a "too long pile of gimmicky crap", it's probably because of the movie.
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
Shem

Post by Shem »

It really isn't. You could cut a third of the tracks and still have essentially the same album.
Warren

Post by Warren »

Shem wrote: 12 Sep 2020, 11:39 It really isn't. You could cut a third of the tracks and still have essentially the same album.
No. It's a Rock Opera the tracks aren't meant to be taken one at a time. There's a narrative, two or three interwoven narratives actually. It's a very meticulously assembled album.
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

thoreau wrote: 11 Sep 2020, 16:00It's not just the competitive aspect, it's both. I don't think training alongside a person on the periphery of femininity undermines much of anything. I think it's instructive that complaints come from competitors, and not just because of the selfish angle, but because people who aren't training with Semenya (or some other person in the gray areas of the sex boundary) haven't developed any camaraderie with her. If they had spent time with her in training, not just at competition, they'd surely feel differently.
That's true of anybody, though. So, she doesn't do shit to impede their Girl Power by existing, competing, or winning.
thoreau wrote: 11 Sep 2020, 16:00At the same time, people train with the hope to have a shot in fair competition.
And that is a flat-out delusion for the overwhelming majority of athletic competitors, even within any Real Acceptable Woman(tm) hormone range. They have absolutely no hope whatsoever against the top athletes unless those top Real Acceptable Women(tm) get injured, caught doping, or otherwise taken out of competition.
thoreau wrote: 11 Sep 2020, 16:00It's like some other things we debate on the gryll: If there are two options and one is better than the other then it is by definition better and what's there to complain about, right? The rational choice was made and what else did you expect?
No, it's not some Spock bullshit, it's that I don't have any fucking sympathy for the side that wants to fuck her over so that some other top athletes rank one place higher.

I like you, Thoreau, but I really fucking hate hand-wringing bullshit about how some people, just by existing or trying to peacefully interact with society while not fitting neatly within certain socially-constructed lines, are destructive to that society. Which is what it seems like you're arguing, even if you're saying we should grudgingly accept that destruction while, of course, mourning it.

So, all I have left to say right now is that Pink Floyd made good music, but it's impossible to overstate how overhyped their work is.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Shem

Post by Shem »

Warren wrote: 12 Sep 2020, 13:28
Shem wrote: 12 Sep 2020, 11:39 It really isn't. You could cut a third of the tracks and still have essentially the same album.
No. It's a Rock Opera the tracks aren't meant to be taken one at a time. There's a narrative, two or three interwoven narratives actually. It's a very meticulously assembled album.
Bullshit. There are plenty of rock operas that work just as well as a whole or in pieces. Roger Waters just isn't very good at rock operas.
Eric the .5b wrote: 12 Sep 2020, 13:42 So, all I have left to say right now is that Pink Floyd made good music, but it's impossible to overstate how overhyped their work is.
Overhyped because they're not that good, or overhyped because nobody could possibly be that good?
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Shem wrote: 12 Sep 2020, 14:11
Eric the .5b wrote: 12 Sep 2020, 13:42 So, all I have left to say right now is that Pink Floyd made good music, but it's impossible to overstate how overhyped their work is.
Overhyped because they're not that good, or overhyped because nobody could possibly be that good?
Yes.
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Eric, I get everything that you're saying, I sympathize with those concerns, and if those concerns were the only ones on the table I'd be in complete agreement with you.

The other concern on the table is maintaining a male-female boundary in sports. If that is a valid concern then you have to draw a line that excludes someone somewhere. Maybe not Semenya, but someone. If you don't want to maintain that boundary then fair enough. We have different assumptions so we won't get to the same place, but that's ok. People with different assumptions should reach different conclusions.

If that is a boundary that you want to maintain then I'd like to hear where and how you'd draw it. Because I'm looking for a humane, respectful way to draw that boundary. And the problem is that it means telling someone somewhere "No."
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

thoreau wrote: 12 Sep 2020, 15:45 Eric, I get everything that you're saying, I sympathize with those concerns, and if those concerns were the only ones on the table I'd be in complete agreement with you.
Thoreau, I don't appreciate your painting me as unaware of or ignoring concerns just because I explicitly don't agree with them. To be more explicit than the Pink Floyd reference, I'm not discussing this further, right now—I've hit my limit of patience. You're welcome to look back through previous discussions of women's sports and who gets to be in them to see what I've said before.
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to suggest that you're unaware of those concerns. I know that you know about those concerns, and I just meant that I agree with an additional set of concerns that you don't agree with. That's all.

And I'll drop it at this point.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Random observation: from time to time various people here have talked about having varying degrees of clutter blindness. I have it bad enough that I go to almost military-grade organizational extremes to try to offset it: like, in one of my bathrooms now are over 30 plastic Sterilite drawers of varying sizes, all with handmade taped-on labels identifying their contents (most drawers have multiple labels): razors, tweezers, styptic pencil, eye droppers, thermometers, band-aids, bug spray, etc. There are nine similarly labeled drawers in the other bathroom, scads of labeled bins and shelving units and etc. in the kitchen, and in the living room and other "fancier" areas of the apartment are the "nicer" organizational items: the glass tray on the coffee table holding the various small odds and ends Jeff likes to keep there, the other glass tray on the phone table holding the pen and notepad, the dedicated place where our face masks are kept, etc.

Despite all this, it's a constant struggle to keep my place uncluttered. I just-now tidied my office desk a bit. There were three black pens scattered across one area of the desktop. All three pens were less than five inches away from the attractive china mug I placed on the desk specifically to hold writing implements. It already contained several pens and two yellow pencils, so as to make its intended purpose super-obvious even to the most absent-minded sort. And yet, somehow, those pens still ended up cluttering my desktop for a few days before I finally got around to putting them back in their proper place.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

The tape of Melania Trump trashing the job of FLOTUS gave me new respect for her.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Aresen wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 11:22 The tape of Melania Trump trashing the job of FLOTUS gave me new respect for her.
What?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I can sympathize with her for the two or three seconds where she talked about how she didn't want to bother with Christmas decorations for the White House, but that's all, The parts where she went on and on about why she had no sympathy for our concentration-camp inmates, who all deserve to be there and it's better than what they had before anyway, is about par for the sociopathic course. She's as morally vacant as her husband.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

I am somewhat sympathetic to the plight of the FLOTUS but geez every previous one has been able to manage the bullshit with some measure of grace and tact. Not to mention I don't care how driven you are how fucking hard is it to just kick back for 4 years and enjoy the pampering (she should be very grateful they are getting a level of COVID care even other rich people are probably not getting) knowing you can do whatever the fuck you want when it's over. Don't care about decorating the White House? Fine but I'm sure there are people you can hire for that, why complain. Spoiled rich people...
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

I only noticed the part about hating all the 'decorating the White House' crap, which about the same level as Prince Charles' 'job' IMHO.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Yeah, I don't think Jackie Kennedy or Nancy Reagan spent much time hanging ornaments. The First Lady has a staff and a budget. If she doesn't care and doesn't know how to delegate that sort of thing, she doesn't deserve the bump in her prenup after all.
Warren

Post by Warren »

I thought hanging ornaments was exactly the sort of thing Jackie Kennedy did. And pretty much nothing else.
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

What did Melania actually do with her time before Donald became prez? Even just taking care of Barron became a little bit less of a time sink after he started school around 2012 or so.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex