OFFS: The Forsakening

JasonL

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by JasonL »

dhex wrote:i think it was written in an uneasy panic.

anyway at 6 am this was funny
He would audio commend his Google Glass to “Record All Danger!”
and obviously terribad.

edit: also the answer is "we'd have footage of his death".
or of facts that don't support whatever our preferred narrative might be.
tr0g

Post by tr0g »

JasonL wrote:
dhex wrote:i think it was written in an uneasy panic.

anyway at 6 am this was funny
He would audio commend his Google Glass to “Record All Danger!”
and obviously terribad.

edit: also the answer is "we'd have footage of his death".
or of facts that don't support whatever our preferred narrative might be.
That footage would have to be pretty impressive to contradict my preferred narrative of 'not worth all the commotion, bloviating, and pertrouserating'.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Not that I'm a fan of ubiquitous surveillance, but I wonder what encounters with suspected criminals would be like in the future.

"Attention! Visible, UV, and IR images of you, as well as a recording of your voice signature, have already been uploaded to a secure server and will be forwarded to the authorities if you do not cease and desist from all suspicious activity here! Identify yourself! If you fire, a recording of the gunshot will be forwarded to the authorities for identification of the gun type!"

There's a lot to nitpicked in the specifics there, but if everybody walked around with their own tricorder and mini-NSA, how would they interact with suspicious people?
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
JD

Post by JD »

thoreau wrote: There's a lot to nitpicked in the specifics there, but if everybody walked around with their own tricorder and mini-NSA, how would they interact with suspicious people?
Once they got used to it, not any differently than they acted before, if cell phones give us any indication. And a certain percentage of people would act out more, knowing that they were being recorded.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

JD wrote:
thoreau wrote: There's a lot to nitpicked in the specifics there, but if everybody walked around with their own tricorder and mini-NSA, how would they interact with suspicious people?
Once they got used to it, not any differently than they acted before, if cell phones give us any indication. And a certain percentage of people would act out more, knowing that they were being recorded.
There are a few differences. First, most people don't use apps that stream all of their video to a server. So, if somebody knocks you down and takes your phone, the evidence is gone (unless you use an app that streams it to a server). Second, holding a phone in your hand, when panicked and perhaps fleeing, is not necessarily going to give the same quality of recording as glasses technology that sees where your head is pointed. Third, I'm positing futuristic technology that might enable better ID of a person than current phones in low light conditions with ambient noise.

If people knew that they could produce unambiguous and admissible evidence of an intruder just by staring at him, and that this evidence could not be destroyed by the intruder, I wonder if/how that would change things. I wonder how Trayvon Martin would have reacted to Zimmerman if he had known that he could produce admissible evidence of somebody stalking him just by staring. Whatever one thinks of Martin's actions near the end of that encounter, early in that encounter Martin had reason to be suspicious of Zimmerman. Perhaps he would have made different choices if he had seen some way to get evidence against the guy whom he thought was stalking him. For that matter, maybe Zimmerman would have made different choices if he had an easy way to get evidence against the guy that he thought was casing houses.

I also wonder how the police would behave in such a world.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
Taktix®

Post by Taktix® »

thoreau wrote:I also wonder how the police would behave in such a world.
Whut?

*sprays mace*

Shut up!

"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

thoreau wrote:Not that I'm a fan of ubiquitous surveillance, but I wonder what encounters with suspected criminals would be like in the future.

"Attention! Visible, UV, and IR images of you, as well as a recording of your voice signature, have already been uploaded to a secure server and will be forwarded to the authorities if you do not cease and desist from all suspicious activity here! Identify yourself! If you fire, a recording of the gunshot will be forwarded to the authorities for identification of the gun type!"

There's a lot to nitpicked in the specifics there, but if everybody walked around with their own tricorder and mini-NSA, how would they interact with suspicious people?
Given the way technology is advancing, I can see a full database of anyone convicted (or accused of) a crime being avaiable for an ongoing download to your personal pocket communcator/iPad/info box with an app to identify "suspicious" people around you.

"Hello MS Jones, this is Paranoiapp letting you know that the man in the yellow shirt 40 feet ahead of you was once convicted of soliciting sex from a prostitute. However, we do not recommend crossing the street at this time because the guy in the red GMC pickup has 14 drunk driving convictions."
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

Awesome. I want that.
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

I oppose surveillance, but sousveillance is something that, while having downsides, will probably have a net advantage. Cops and other aggressors knowing that what they're doing will result in exposure they can't counter by taking or smashing a device or by deleting a file will protect some people who would have otherwise been victimized.

Unless Zimmerman had a premeditated plan to kill the kid, I suspect being on camera and Martin getting 911 on the line would cool his jets. It'd thrown him off his script of "defending his neighborhood". Maybe in a future version of that confrontation, both "Martin" and "Zimmerman" trigger their panic buttons (maybe even with an option to stream it to 911 while they're on the call), and both guys have a dispatcher in their ears telling them to calm down, if simply being on camera isn't enough.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Come to think of it, Martin was on his cell phone, so there's no reason he couldn't have called 911 instead of staying on the phone with his friend. He had the technology to call for help, even without surveillance glasses.

However, teenagers aren't known for thinking things through. Also, I can see why a black teen might be slightly less enthused about calling the police than a 36 year-old white professional would be.
--Mo
Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

Eric the .5b wrote:I oppose surveillance, but sousveillance is something that, while having downsides, will probably have a net advantage. Cops and other aggressors knowing that what they're doing will result in exposure they can't counter by taking or smashing a device or by deleting a file will protect some people who would have otherwise been victimized.

Unless Zimmerman had a premeditated plan to kill the kid, I suspect being on camera and Martin getting 911 on the line would cool his jets. It'd thrown him off his script of "defending his neighborhood". Maybe in a future version of that confrontation, both "Martin" and "Zimmerman" trigger their panic buttons (maybe even with an option to stream it to 911 while they're on the call), and both guys have a dispatcher in their ears telling them to calm down, if simply being on camera isn't enough.
Yeah, I agree with this.
dhex

Post by dhex »

so i'm the only one that thinks shouting "record all danger" isn't hilarious?

it's also what i'm going to call date night with the wife from now on.

[rimshot]
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

dhex wrote:so i'm the only one that thinks shouting "record all danger" isn't hilarious?

it's also what i'm going to call date night with the wife from now on.

[rimshot]
Kinky!

It's a little funny, but you'd want some distinct trigger-phrase. Really, an even better system would let you quietly start recording and streaming offsite without calling 911 yet, then periodically request confirmation to keep recording or cancel (and call 911 if you don't respond).
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Mo

Post by Mo »

Eric the .5b wrote:It's a little funny, but you'd want some distinct trigger-phrase.
"License and registration" would work.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

"Ok glass : danger mode".
Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

Also : http://www.copblock.org/apps/ has some good apps for recording dangerous encounters and auto-uploading them.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Danger zone!
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex
Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

Andrew wrote:Danger zone!
I'm in it?
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Dangerman wrote:
I'm in it?
Yes, but I meant as a trigger phrase.
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Andrew wrote:
Dangerman wrote:
I'm in it?
I'd probably use

as my trigger.

:D
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

Andrew wrote:
Dangerman wrote:
I'm in it?
You should have included a TRIGGER WARNING!
Mo

Post by Mo »

Andrew wrote:
Dangerman wrote:
I'm in it?
Settle down there Kenny Loggins
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

LANA!
Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

This is how we get ants! Do you want us to have ants?
Mo

Post by Mo »

This thread is just like the old gypsy woman said!