OFFS: The Forsakening

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 29682
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Warren »

Hugh Akston wrote:
15 Nov 2019, 12:34
nicole wrote:
15 Nov 2019, 12:10
JD wrote:
15 Nov 2019, 10:02
Warren wrote:
15 Nov 2019, 10:00
Shem wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 16:08
nicole wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 10:23
I hope all the people complaining about congestion in the subway are also planning to arrest everyone who walks around slowly staring at their phones. Bonus points for doing it as you walk up the stairs.
Are you also irked about people who make throwaway comments about the weather without donating money so Elon Musk can make a weather machine to take over Oaxaca and corner the world's supply of salvia?

Wait, don't bother to answer, that sounds right up your alley.
Bwah? I don't do public transportation, but nicole's objection strikes me as reasonable and apt.
I don't understand the "apt" part, because nobody was talking about congestion in the subway, so nicole's comment kind of seemed to come out of nowhere.
A bunch of people trying to justify the arrest of the churro lady, including Bill DeBlasio, have talked about congestion in the subway.
Right, but the reason she was arrested, and the reason subway vending is illegal in the first place, is that she was making money without giving the mob their cut.
You say these things out loud?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 19455
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Hugh Akston »

Warren wrote:
15 Nov 2019, 13:26
Hugh Akston wrote:
15 Nov 2019, 12:34
nicole wrote:
15 Nov 2019, 12:10
JD wrote:
15 Nov 2019, 10:02
Warren wrote:
15 Nov 2019, 10:00
Shem wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 16:08


Are you also irked about people who make throwaway comments about the weather without donating money so Elon Musk can make a weather machine to take over Oaxaca and corner the world's supply of salvia?

Wait, don't bother to answer, that sounds right up your alley.
Bwah? I don't do public transportation, but nicole's objection strikes me as reasonable and apt.
I don't understand the "apt" part, because nobody was talking about congestion in the subway, so nicole's comment kind of seemed to come out of nowhere.
A bunch of people trying to justify the arrest of the churro lady, including Bill DeBlasio, have talked about congestion in the subway.
Right, but the reason she was arrested, and the reason subway vending is illegal in the first place, is that she was making money without giving the mob their cut.
You say these things out loud?
The mob in this case is the NYC municipal government
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 10676
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by nicole »

Hugh Akston wrote:
15 Nov 2019, 12:34
nicole wrote:
15 Nov 2019, 12:10
JD wrote:
15 Nov 2019, 10:02
Warren wrote:
15 Nov 2019, 10:00
Shem wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 16:08
nicole wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 10:23
I hope all the people complaining about congestion in the subway are also planning to arrest everyone who walks around slowly staring at their phones. Bonus points for doing it as you walk up the stairs.
Are you also irked about people who make throwaway comments about the weather without donating money so Elon Musk can make a weather machine to take over Oaxaca and corner the world's supply of salvia?

Wait, don't bother to answer, that sounds right up your alley.
Bwah? I don't do public transportation, but nicole's objection strikes me as reasonable and apt.
I don't understand the "apt" part, because nobody was talking about congestion in the subway, so nicole's comment kind of seemed to come out of nowhere.
A bunch of people trying to justify the arrest of the churro lady, including Bill DeBlasio, have talked about congestion in the subway.
Right, but the reason she was arrested, and the reason subway vending is illegal in the first place, is that she was making money without giving the mob their cut.
Hence my comment suggesting they don’t really care about congestion, because if they did they would be doing something completely different about it.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

User avatar
JD
Posts: 11984
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by JD »

A Barnard student was stabbed to death last week by a group of people including a 13-year-old, and the head of the NYPD Sergeants Benevolent Association did some amazing mental contortions regarding blame for the stabbing.
“An 18-year-old college student at one of the most prestigious universities is murdered in a park, and what I’m understanding, she was in the park to buy marijuana,” Mullins said on John Catsimatidis’ AM 970 morning show Sunday.

“And you think about that, we don’t enforce marijuana laws anymore. We’re basically hands-off on the enforcement of marijuana,” Mullins continued. "So here we have a student murdered by a 13-year-old and we have a common denominator of marijuana. You know, my question to the people of New York City is, ‘Why is this happening?’”
(https://www.syracuse.com/state/2019/12/ ... -weed.html)

Note that there is absolutely zero evidence that she was in the park to buy marijuana; that's pure speculation at this point.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 20125
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

As Gillespie was quick to note, even if she were, that's not an argument against marijuana, it's an argument against its criminalization.

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 16959
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Aresen »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
16 Dec 2019, 14:18
As Gillespie was quick to note, even if she were, that's not an argument against marijuana, it's an argument against its criminalization.
This.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
JD
Posts: 11984
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by JD »

Obama: Vaginas are magic
“Now women, I just want you to know you are not perfect, but what I can say pretty indisputably is that you’re better than us,” the two-term president said at an Obama Foundation event in Singapore.

“I’m absolutely confident that for two years if every nation on earth was run by women, you would see a significant improvement across the board on just about everything… living standards and outcomes,” he told the crowd.
Yup, SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENT ON JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING IN ONLY TWO YEARS, because no problems are caused by structural issues or differing interests or preferences on tradeoffs or culture or religion or economics; every single problem is caused by us not having the right bosses. I would really love to ask him what he thinks a Northern England coal miner's wife thought of Margaret Thatcher, or an Indian Sikh woman thought of Indira Gandhi, or a Palestinian Muslim woman thought of Golda Meir, or a female protester in Hong Kong thinks of Carrie Lam...
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

User avatar
Andrew
Posts: 7110
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 21:52
Location: Vale of Eternal Fire

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Andrew »

JD wrote:
19 Dec 2019, 12:16
Obama: Vaginas are magic
“Now women, I just want you to know you are not perfect, but what I can say pretty indisputably is that you’re better than us,” the two-term president said at an Obama Foundation event in Singapore.

“I’m absolutely confident that for two years if every nation on earth was run by women, you would see a significant improvement across the board on just about everything… living standards and outcomes,” he told the crowd.
Yup, SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENT ON JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING IN ONLY TWO YEARS, because no problems are caused by structural issues or differing interests or preferences on tradeoffs or culture or religion or economics; every single problem is caused by us not having the right bosses. I would really love to ask him what he thinks a Northern England coal miner's wife thought of Margaret Thatcher, or an Indian Sikh woman thought of Indira Gandhi, or a Palestinian Muslim woman thought of Golda Meir, or a female protester in Hong Kong thinks of Carrie Lam...
Sounds like he should've let Hillary win the primary in 2008...
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 29682
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Warren »

Andrew wrote:
19 Dec 2019, 12:39
JD wrote:
19 Dec 2019, 12:16
Obama: Vaginas are magic
“Now women, I just want you to know you are not perfect, but what I can say pretty indisputably is that you’re better than us,” the two-term president said at an Obama Foundation event in Singapore.

“I’m absolutely confident that for two years if every nation on earth was run by women, you would see a significant improvement across the board on just about everything… living standards and outcomes,” he told the crowd.
Yup, SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENT ON JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING IN ONLY TWO YEARS, because no problems are caused by structural issues or differing interests or preferences on tradeoffs or culture or religion or economics; every single problem is caused by us not having the right bosses. I would really love to ask him what he thinks a Northern England coal miner's wife thought of Margaret Thatcher, or an Indian Sikh woman thought of Indira Gandhi, or a Palestinian Muslim woman thought of Golda Meir, or a female protester in Hong Kong thinks of Carrie Lam...
Sounds like he should've let Hillary win the primary in 2008...
Would you like that with green beans and mashed potatoes?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 29901
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by thoreau »

An ad for gamer PCs was banned in the UK because everyone in the ad is male.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020 ... tereotypes

Ironically, those men are ethnically diverse. In other circumstances the ad would be praised.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 14825
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Eric the .5b »

thoreau wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 10:51
An ad for gamer PCs was banned in the UK because everyone in the ad is male.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020 ... tereotypes

Ironically, those men are ethnically diverse. In other circumstances the ad would be praised.
Europe, man. They show boobs on TV or something and that's all the censorship that matters, doncha know?

As for the complaint and praise, eh. People have been complaining loudly about the boys' club thing in computer-related fields (and depictions thereof, ads for, etc.) for ages.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

User avatar
JD
Posts: 11984
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by JD »

California's response to high medical costs is to go into state-run businesses:
SACRAMENTO — California would become the first state to sell its own brand of generic prescription drugs in an effort to drive down rising healthcare costs under a proposal Gov. Gavin Newsom is expected to unveil in his new state budget Friday.
...
“These nation-leading reforms seek to put consumers back in the driver seat and lower healthcare costs for every Californian,” Newsom said in a statement.
(https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... vin-newsom)

A state-run board kind of looks like the opposite of putting consumers in the driver's seat, but really the issue is that instead of looking at WHY prices are high and rising, the answer is just "moar state".
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

User avatar
Shem
Posts: 8276
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 00:27

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Shem »

I'm pretty sure the issue is "generic drugs aren't economical for new entrants to produce, making for an oligopoly where people like Pharmabro can thrive." Under that situation, a government-owned corporation legally limited to cost-plus 15% seems significantly less distortionary than just establishing price controls and waiting for everyone to stop producing them.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

User avatar
Jasper
Posts: 3463
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 07:56
Location: Newyorkachusetts

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Jasper »

Isn't cost +15% a price control?
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

User avatar
dead_elvis
Posts: 1580
Joined: 01 May 2010, 15:26

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by dead_elvis »

I would say not really, because "cost" can be literally any number anyone wants to make up.

I'm very cynical about "cost plus" sorts of budgeting. Costs are too fungible for there not to be room for shenanigans.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 29901
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by thoreau »

One of the TV monitors at the gym is showing Faux News, and a host was going on about the children of liberal politicians benefiting from family connections.

And I'm just thinking about Ivanka, Donnie Junior, W., Jeb, and of course Rupert Murdoch's sons. Like, they're all in glass houses and casting stones. This is one place where the two parties really are equivalent.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 18598
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by lunchstealer »

dead_elvis wrote:
09 Jan 2020, 19:57
I would say not really, because "cost" can be literally any number anyone wants to make up.

I'm very cynical about "cost plus" sorts of budgeting. Costs are too fungible for there not to be room for shenanigans.
Yeah. If you want to bump your price just increase spending, possibly contracting for services with a company that you also happen to own....
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 16959
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Aresen »

lunchstealer wrote:
10 Jan 2020, 03:11
dead_elvis wrote:
09 Jan 2020, 19:57
I would say not really, because "cost" can be literally any number anyone wants to make up.

I'm very cynical about "cost plus" sorts of budgeting. Costs are too fungible for there not to be room for shenanigans.
Yeah. If you want to bump your price just increase spending, possibly contracting for services with a company that you also happen to own....
Not even that. Once your company is in the billion dollar range, if you can't load the costs from one production line onto another, you need to fire your accounting department.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 20125
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

dead_elvis wrote:
09 Jan 2020, 19:57
I would say not really, because "cost" can be literally any number anyone wants to make up.

I'm very cynical about "cost plus" sorts of budgeting. Costs are too fungible for there not to be room for shenanigans.
I don't think "fungible" is the right term, but I agree with the point. Federal contracting using a "cost plus fee" structure typically base the fee on the initial cost estimate (a system which requires and typically fails to get rigorous, competent negotiating on anticipated cost by the government, but that's another story). FWIW, the one sort of contract type that is expressly forbidden in federal contracting is "cost plus percentage cost." Obviously, the last thing you want to do is incentivize the contractor to incur higher costs in order to earn higher fees.

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 25391
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by JasonL »

I've spent some calories trying to get familiar with various health insurance concepts used in the world and their funding mechanisms and such, but I really don't know what the major models are for handling generics and preserving supply. I know some countries have a requirement to prescribe only generics when "bio equivalent" at the national health level. That would increase demand I guess.

User avatar
Jasper
Posts: 3463
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 07:56
Location: Newyorkachusetts

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Jasper »

Ehn. I still think that if you're, by law, limited to a 15% max margin on setting your market price, it's still a price control no matter how much you pad your costs. Because it's possible it'd still sell for 20% margin or more in a free market.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

User avatar
Shem
Posts: 8276
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 00:27

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Shem »

Jasper wrote:
10 Jan 2020, 16:22
Ehn. I still think that if you're, by law, limited to a 15% max margin on setting your market price, it's still a price control no matter how much you pad your costs. Because it's possible it'd still sell for 20% margin or more in a free market.
You mean like insulin, that goes for easily 500% margin or more, and is a huge driver of the outrage that is going to erupt and destroy the pharmaceuticals market sooner than everyone expects? I'm happy to entertain other options, but "a nonprofit corporation prevented from charging to much beyond a set amount" seems better than "Medicare 'negotiates' a price that sets the market for every operator," which is what's going to happen if something isn't done.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 25391
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by JasonL »

I wonder if reimportation / operating generics as a global commodity isn't the right thing.

User avatar
Shem
Posts: 8276
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 00:27

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Shem »

JasonL wrote:
11 Jan 2020, 16:20
I wonder if reimportation / operating generics as a global commodity isn't the right thing.
It's an option, and quite possibly the best one, but after the shenanigans I've been reading about concerning determining provenance in Chinese factories to safeguard quality, it'd have to be done very carefully.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

User avatar
Pham Nuwen
Posts: 8676
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 02:17

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Pham Nuwen »

I just dont see how it would work on a large scale. Reimportation will just push other countries to ban it at some point when it makes more economic sense to send limited meds over to the us.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Post Reply