Market Failure!

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 17710
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Market Failure!

Post by lunchstealer » 23 Jun 2019, 00:55

He'll always be Coach McGurk to me.

*single tear rolls down slagathor cheek*
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 24960
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Market Failure!

Post by Mo » 23 Jun 2019, 03:52

lunchstealer wrote:Slagathor'll always be Coach McGurk to slagathor.

*single tear rolls down slagathor cheek*
Ahem
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Andrew
Posts: 6790
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 21:52
Location: Vale of Eternal Fire
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Market Failure!

Post by Andrew » 23 Jun 2019, 07:48

Mo wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 03:52
lunchstealer wrote:Slagathor'll always be Coach McGurk to slagathor.

*single tear rolls down slagathor cheek*
Ahem
Slagathor like this.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27831
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Market Failure!

Post by Warren » 23 Jun 2019, 14:26

Slagathor slagathor Slagathor slagathor slag slag Slagathor slagathor
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 24546
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Market Failure!

Post by JasonL » 23 Jun 2019, 15:28

Wut is happening?

*reads other thread history*

Oh. Ok. I was afraid it was something unseemly

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 24960
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Market Failure!

Post by Mo » 30 Jun 2019, 12:07

Fuck it. Burn it all to the ground and make non-competes illegal nationwide except for corporate officers. The whole fucking point of internships are to tell people where you worked and potentially work for a competitor.
Interns’ Job Prospects Constrained by Noncompete Agreements
Legal pacts can limit résumé content and employment options

As a junior in college, Delaney Dunne took an internship for class credit and $10 an hour at co-working company TekMountain in Wilmington, N.C.

On graduation day this year, she received a letter from TekMountain’s parent asking about her employment status and reminding her she had signed a noncompete agreement with TekMountain in November 2017 that restricted her employment options.

“I burst into tears hours before I was set to graduate from college,” Ms. Dunne, 22, said. “That noncompete (agreement) that I signed when I was 20 years old was still haunting me.”

Internships have long been an opportunity for inexperienced workers to try out different industries and build valuable contacts. For companies, it is a way to attract future talent.

But increasingly interns are being asked to sign noncompete, nondisclosure and forced arbitration agreements, restrictions once reserved for higher-ranking employees.

Advocates say legal covenants for interns help safeguard trade secrets such as customer lists in an era when it is easy to download information and share it, for instance on social media or with a competitor. But critics argue the agreements hamper young people’s job opportunities and mobility even before they get a foot on the career ladder.

Ms. Dunne’s noncompete agreement stated that she couldn’t work for a competitor in software or banking within 15 miles of Wilmington for a year after leaving TekMountain.

Ms. Dunne said she was given the agreement on her first day. “I had no idea what I signed, they didn’t explain it to me.”

After leaving TekMountain, she did a separate three-month internship with nCino, a financial technology company in Wilmington.

In a May 7 letter, TekMountain’s parent, CastleBranch Inc., laid out her obligations under the noncompete agreement, described the confidentiality of its proprietary information as “very serious,” and asked for details about her relationship with nCino. Ms. Dunne said she didn’t respond.

The noncompete “eliminated a good portion of the companies in town in the industry I wanted to be in,” said Ms. Dunne, who is relocating to the Washington, D.C., area for a new job. “I have to leave all of my friends behind and start over.”

CastleBranch’s Chief Executive Brett Martin said: “Our employment agreements are fair. They are not designed to limit the opportunities of young employees such as Delaney, but to protect ourselves and our partners from competitors who could gain access to our intellectual property and confidential business information.” He added: “We have not, and will not, pursue any legal action against Delaney.”

Mr. Martin said the noncompete agreement focused on industries that were direct competitors to CastleBranch.

Noncompete agreements are unenforceable in a number of states, and regulators have clamped down on their use among low-skilled workers like food preparers. While no data exists on how many interns are affected by noncompete agreements, around one in five workers in the labor force overall are bound by such pacts.

“The idea of noncompetes for interns is ludicrous,” said Terri Gerstein, a Harvard University academic who previously served in the New York attorney general’s office. “Internships are supposed to be for educational and professional development, and are about expanding—not limiting—job opportunities.” She said it is unlikely intern noncompete agreements would be upheld in court in most states.

Jessica Jeffers, an economist at the University of Chicago, said noncompete agreements “operate mainly through a deterrent effect”—such as cease-and-desist letters sent to former employees. The noncompete agreements seem to prevent people from leaving or keeping a job, even if they rarely result in a court case, she said.

In many industries, nondisclosure and nondisparagement agreements for interns have proliferated too.

Jeremy Mayer, a political scientist at George Mason University, said that last year a student of his demurred from telling the class about his recent White House internship because he was bound by an NDA.

Katharine Marianacci, a career coach at Lehigh University in Bethlehem, Pa., said that NDAs—common in engineering internships—limit the details of work experience students can put on their résumés, or even discuss in job interviews.

When branding themselves for future roles, students “need to be kind of creative in a way that doesn’t share” confidential information, she said.

Legal experts say courts tend to look favorably on agreements that protect companies’ information, but may invalidate those that restrict interns’ or employees’ free speech or movement.

Some interns are pushing back. Harvard Law School students last year set up the Pipeline Parity Project to protest law firms’ use of mandatory arbitration and other restrictions on summer associates. The project discourages students from taking jobs at firms with such policies and began in the wake of high-profile sexual-harassment cases in the legal profession and the broader #MeToo movement.

Mandatory arbitration, which bars employees from suing in court, is common in financial services and law firms. Supporters say arbitration is quicker and less costly than court. It commonly requires complainants to sign nondisclosure agreements as a condition of settlements. While NDAs give both sides privacy in a dispute, critics say they can be used to muzzle alleged victims of harassment and other discrimination.

“People shouldn’t have to give up their legal rights when they come to work,” said Beth Feldstein, one of the project’s organizers.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/interns-jo ... 1561800600
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
dead_elvis
Posts: 1305
Joined: 01 May 2010, 15:26
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Market Failure!

Post by dead_elvis » 30 Jun 2019, 12:52

I'm sympathetic that non-competes are the devil and yet
Ms. Dunne said she was given the agreement on her first day. “I had no idea what I signed, they didn’t explain it to me.”

sigh. Gosh there just couldn't possibly be another solution to this. Nope, never.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 13383
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Market Failure!

Post by Highway » 30 Jun 2019, 13:45

What could they explain that makes it acceptable? "Hey, you need to sign this, it means you can't work for any other company in a related field for the next x years. And if you don't sign it, you can walk out the door right now (and not get your college credit).

I think the presence of non-competes is too one-sided. Put some responsibilities on the company that has them: You want me to not work for someone else, you have to guarantee me a job for the period of the non-compete clause you want, at a competitive rate. If you decide I'm not worth that in the middle, then you nullify the clause.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27831
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Market Failure!

Post by Warren » 30 Jun 2019, 13:45

dead_elvis wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 12:52
I'm sympathetic that non-competes are the devil and yet
Ms. Dunne said she was given the agreement on her first day. “I had no idea what I signed, they didn’t explain it to me.”

sigh. Gosh there just couldn't possibly be another solution to this. Nope, never.
That's close to where I landed.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 28662
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Market Failure!

Post by thoreau » 30 Jun 2019, 13:47

dead_elvis wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 12:52
I'm sympathetic that non-competes are the devil and yet
Ms. Dunne said she was given the agreement on her first day. “I had no idea what I signed, they didn’t explain it to me.”

sigh. Gosh there just couldn't possibly be another solution to this. Nope, never.
I wonder how well things would work out for an intern who requested more than 3 minutes to read it. Or requested to show the agreement to a lawyer before signing.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27831
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Market Failure!

Post by Warren » 30 Jun 2019, 13:51

thoreau wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 13:47
dead_elvis wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 12:52
I'm sympathetic that non-competes are the devil and yet
Ms. Dunne said she was given the agreement on her first day. “I had no idea what I signed, they didn’t explain it to me.”

sigh. Gosh there just couldn't possibly be another solution to this. Nope, never.
I wonder how well things would work out for an intern who requested more than 3 minutes to read it. Or requested to show the agreement to a lawyer before signing.
I would be stunned if anyone gave a shit. At that point it's just bureaucracy. "We have to have it for the file".
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 24665
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Market Failure!

Post by Jennifer » 30 Jun 2019, 13:57

Highway wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 13:45
What could they explain that makes it acceptable? "Hey, you need to sign this, it means you can't work for any other company in a related field for the next x years. And if you don't sign it, you can walk out the door right now (and not get your college credit).

I think the presence of non-competes is too one-sided. Put some responsibilities on the company that has them: You want me to not work for someone else, you have to guarantee me a job for the period of the non-compete clause you want, at a competitive rate. If you decide I'm not worth that in the middle, then you nullify the clause.
I can definitely get behind this.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 17710
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Market Failure!

Post by lunchstealer » 30 Jun 2019, 17:13

Warren wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 13:51
thoreau wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 13:47
dead_elvis wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 12:52
I'm sympathetic that non-competes are the devil and yet
Ms. Dunne said she was given the agreement on her first day. “I had no idea what I signed, they didn’t explain it to me.”

sigh. Gosh there just couldn't possibly be another solution to this. Nope, never.
I wonder how well things would work out for an intern who requested more than 3 minutes to read it. Or requested to show the agreement to a lawyer before signing.
I would be stunned if anyone gave a shit. At that point it's just bureaucracy. "We have to have it for the file".
"We have to have it for the file, and you can't start until you sign it, so ... do you want the job or not? You do? Stop wasting time."
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 17710
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Market Failure!

Post by lunchstealer » 30 Jun 2019, 17:16

dead_elvis wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 12:52
I'm sympathetic that non-competes are the devil and yet
Ms. Dunne said she was given the agreement on her first day. “I had no idea what I signed, they didn’t explain it to me.”

sigh. Gosh there just couldn't possibly be another solution to this. Nope, never.
That's where you lost sympathy? Mine was here:
Ms. Dunne, 22, said. “That noncompete (agreement) that I signed when I was 20 years old was still haunting me.”
If you're 40, yeah something you signed when you were 20 should maybe not haunt you too much. If you're 22, well yeah a two year term on a thing you sign?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
dead_elvis
Posts: 1305
Joined: 01 May 2010, 15:26
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Market Failure!

Post by dead_elvis » 30 Jun 2019, 17:50

Highway wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 13:45
What could they explain that makes it acceptable? "Hey, you need to sign this, it means you can't work for any other company in a related field for the next x years. And if you don't sign it, you can walk out the door right now (and not get your college credit).
I'd would have walked away from that. But where she loses me is that is sounds like she didn't even ask. I've certainly signed things I didn't fully comprehend, but I do always ask for explanations so I can at least call someone on it personally. And this was pretty low stakes; if you're not willing to walk away from an unpaid internship over the terms, I shudder to think what she would agree to when there are actual real life stakes involved.

And honestly, how was the college not aware of this scam?
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 24960
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Market Failure!

Post by Mo » 30 Jun 2019, 18:03

Highway wrote:What could they explain that makes it acceptable? "Hey, you need to sign this, it means you can't work for any other company in a related field for the next x years. And if you don't sign it, you can walk out the door right now (and not get your college credit).

I think the presence of non-competes is too one-sided. Put some responsibilities on the company that has them: You want me to not work for someone else, you have to guarantee me a job for the period of the non-compete clause you want, at a competitive rate. If you decide I'm not worth that in the middle, then you nullify the clause.
In the UK it’s called garden leave and your old company has to pay your salary during that period of time. Like we literally pay dudes to sit and wait to start their next job.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 24960
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Market Failure!

Post by Mo » 30 Jun 2019, 18:07

Also, the thing about non-competes is that they make you sign them on the first day of work. For a college internship, you’re boned at that point because all the internships are pretty much filled. So you lose 33% of your opportunity to show you can work in your field (and likely close to 50%). Also, in what world is a non-compete for more than a couple months justifiable for someone that junior, forget about 2 fucking years.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 17710
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Market Failure!

Post by lunchstealer » 30 Jun 2019, 18:08

dead_elvis wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 17:50
Highway wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 13:45
What could they explain that makes it acceptable? "Hey, you need to sign this, it means you can't work for any other company in a related field for the next x years. And if you don't sign it, you can walk out the door right now (and not get your college credit).
I'd would have walked away from that. But where she loses me is that is sounds like she didn't even ask. I've certainly signed things I didn't fully comprehend, but I do always ask for explanations so I can at least call someone on it personally. And this was pretty low stakes; if you're not willing to walk away from an unpaid internship over the terms, I shudder to think what she would agree to when there are actual real life stakes involved.

And honestly, how was the college not aware of this scam?
It was a paid internship plus college credit. That's harder to walk away from.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 28662
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Market Failure!

Post by thoreau » 30 Jun 2019, 18:51

As far as the colleges go, we often give students some credit for research done at NASA. We aren't aware of every single document NASA's ever had them sign. Yeah, I doubt NASA has this kind of clause, but if someone wanted college credit for research done at Xerox Palo Alto Research Center, I doubt we'd say no if the student produced a good report on it and their supervisor attested that the student was a meaningful contributor rather than free-riding on the rest of the team. But I also doubt we'd track down everything they ever signed for Xerox.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27831
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Market Failure!

Post by Warren » 30 Jun 2019, 18:54

lunchstealer wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 17:13
Warren wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 13:51
thoreau wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 13:47
dead_elvis wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 12:52
I'm sympathetic that non-competes are the devil and yet
Ms. Dunne said she was given the agreement on her first day. “I had no idea what I signed, they didn’t explain it to me.”

sigh. Gosh there just couldn't possibly be another solution to this. Nope, never.
I wonder how well things would work out for an intern who requested more than 3 minutes to read it. Or requested to show the agreement to a lawyer before signing.
I would be stunned if anyone gave a shit. At that point it's just bureaucracy. "We have to have it for the file".
"We have to have it for the file, and you can't start until you sign it, so ... do you want the job or not? You do? Stop wasting time."
I've worked for several companies, large, small, private, publicly traded, I don't think any one of them would have been "Sign it right now or our offer is withdrawn." I mean that doesn't even sound like it would fly if someone challenged them over it. Even when I was a contract worker, hang ups on the paperwork were SOP and as long as everything got dealt with in the first two weeks, nobody blinked.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
dead_elvis
Posts: 1305
Joined: 01 May 2010, 15:26
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Market Failure!

Post by dead_elvis » 30 Jun 2019, 19:16

lunchstealer wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 18:08

It was a paid internship plus college credit. That's harder to walk away from.
Ah my bad about the pay. Maybe I'm just out of touch but I still don't see the college credit as that huge. Like, wouldn't you want to take an actual class instead? You have the rest of your life to work for the man.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27831
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Market Failure!

Post by Warren » 30 Jun 2019, 19:22

dead_elvis wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 19:16
lunchstealer wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 18:08

It was a paid internship plus college credit. That's harder to walk away from.
Ah my bad about the pay. Maybe I'm just out of touch but I still don't see the college credit as that huge. Like, wouldn't you want to take an actual class instead? You have the rest of your life to work for the man.
My school required co-op credits.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Jadagul
Posts: 7201
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:51
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Market Failure!

Post by Jadagul » 30 Jun 2019, 19:51

dead_elvis wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 19:16
lunchstealer wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 18:08

It was a paid internship plus college credit. That's harder to walk away from.
Ah my bad about the pay. Maybe I'm just out of touch but I still don't see the college credit as that huge. Like, wouldn't you want to take an actual class instead? You have the rest of your life to work for the man.
Internships for credit are a thing that people compete really hard to get.

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27831
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Market Failure!

Post by Warren » 30 Jun 2019, 19:57

Jadagul wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 19:51
dead_elvis wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 19:16
lunchstealer wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 18:08

It was a paid internship plus college credit. That's harder to walk away from.
Ah my bad about the pay. Maybe I'm just out of touch but I still don't see the college credit as that huge. Like, wouldn't you want to take an actual class instead? You have the rest of your life to work for the man.
Internships for credit are a thing that people compete really hard to get.
Which gives employers leverage to put shitty non-compete clauses in their hiring contracts.
Isn't this something the market should be left to work out on its own?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
dead_elvis
Posts: 1305
Joined: 01 May 2010, 15:26
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Market Failure!

Post by dead_elvis » 30 Jun 2019, 20:24

Ok, I guess I have no idea what's going on with the kids nowadays. My lens is that I was so eager to get work experience and discovered much to my chagrin that after graduation people really didn't care about that nearly as much as high level skill, and that the work experience I was so eager to get is something that most people are burned out in 5-10 years and why was I so eager to jump start that fuse.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Post Reply
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests