Calling 2020 for Entropy

Aresen

Re: Calling 2020 for Entropy

Post by Aresen »

Eric the .5b wrote: 23 Sep 2020, 20:22
thoreau wrote: 23 Sep 2020, 19:54The guys with guns have shown themselves to be completely and utterly intertwined with one side of power. What I go back and forth on is whether they're Team Red's dobermans, i.e. something that Team Red might use to hurt people if shit goes down, or Team Red's chihuahuas in purses, i.e. something that growls while being shown off.
If everything goes bad, I'm sure they'll be like the armed thugs going around intimidating the opposition in Venezuela.
In America, they're called 'Police Officers.'
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Aresen wrote: 23 Sep 2020, 20:32
thoreau wrote: 23 Sep 2020, 19:54The guys with guns have shown themselves to be completely and utterly intertwined with one side of power. What I go back and forth on is whether they're Team Red's dobermans, i.e. something that Team Red might use to hurt people if shit goes down, or Team Red's chihuahuas in purses, i.e. something that growls while being shown off.
If everything goes bad, I'm sure they'll be like the armed thugs going around intimidating the opposition in Venezuela.
Well right now the cops content themselves with only going around intimidating the opposition to cops' immunity to consequences.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Warren

Post by Warren »

lunchstealer wrote: 23 Sep 2020, 20:41
Well right now the cops content themselves with only going around intimidating the opposition to cops' immunity to consequences.
Right now the cops are the ones getting shot at.
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Really?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
Warren

Post by Warren »

Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
nicole

Post by nicole »

thoreau wrote: 23 Sep 2020, 19:54 The guys with guns have shown themselves to be completely and utterly intertwined with one side of power. What I go back and forth on is whether they're Team Red's dobermans, i.e. something that Team Red might use to hurt people if shit goes down, or Team Red's chihuahuas in purses, i.e. something that growls while being shown off.
This is hilarious considering the reality of most of the shootings that have gone on during "protests" this summer. Not to mention the molotov cocktails.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

nicole wrote: 24 Sep 2020, 12:14
thoreau wrote: 23 Sep 2020, 19:54 The guys with guns have shown themselves to be completely and utterly intertwined with one side of power. What I go back and forth on is whether they're Team Red's dobermans, i.e. something that Team Red might use to hurt people if shit goes down, or Team Red's chihuahuas in purses, i.e. something that growls while being shown off.
This is hilarious considering the reality of most of the shootings that have gone on during "protests" this summer. Not to mention the molotov cocktails.
You mean the reality that most of the shootings have been "police" shooting at unarmed "protestors" with "pepper balls", "rubber bullets", and "gas canisters"?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Warren

Post by Warren »

Hugh Akston wrote: 24 Sep 2020, 12:28 You mean the reality that most of the shootings have been "police" shooting at unarmed "protestors" with "pepper balls", "rubber bullets", and "gas canisters"?
You mean “unarmed” “protestors”
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Warren wrote: 24 Sep 2020, 13:16
Hugh Akston wrote: 24 Sep 2020, 12:28 You mean the reality that most of the shootings have been "police" shooting at unarmed "protestors" with "pepper balls", "rubber bullets", and "gas canisters"?
You mean “unarmed” “protestors”
I mean yeah. In a lot of cases they're "armed" with "cardboard signs" or a "phone" or "camera" or "press badge"

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Warren wrote: 24 Sep 2020, 09:55
'the ones'? I'd accept 'also' but it's not like they've stopped doing no-knock raids on flimsy warrants. At this rate it'd take a long time for police deaths from protests to rack up even one year's worth of police killings.

nicole

Post by nicole »

Hugh Akston wrote: 24 Sep 2020, 12:28
nicole wrote: 24 Sep 2020, 12:14
You mean the reality that most of the shootings have been "police" shooting at unarmed "protestors" with "pepper balls", "rubber bullets", and "gas canisters"?
I was thinking more about the reality that it's been gang members shooting live rounds at rivals and innocent bystanders.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
Painboy

Post by Painboy »

lunchstealer wrote: 24 Sep 2020, 14:13
'the ones'? I'd accept 'also' but it's not like they've stopped doing no-knock raids on flimsy warrants. At this rate it'd take a long time for police deaths from protests to rack up even one year's worth of police killings.
Actually the good news is they have stopped no knock warrants.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/11/us/louis ... index.html
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Painboy wrote: 24 Sep 2020, 15:17
Oh bless their little city council hearts.

They have ways around that. Knock/police/door-ram within one second well sure the standard is six seconds but we were close it is the heat of the moment WHY DO YOU HATE OUR HEROES AND FIRST RESPONDERS and you can absolutely guarantee that the Policeman's Benevolent Organization will be benevolent to challengers to those councilers.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

lunchstealer wrote: 24 Sep 2020, 15:32
Painboy wrote: 24 Sep 2020, 15:17

Oh bless their little city council hearts.

They have ways around that. Knock/police/door-ram within one second well sure the standard is six seconds but we were close it is the heat of the moment WHY DO YOU HATE OUR HEROES AND FIRST RESPONDERS and you can absolutely guarantee that the Policeman's Benevolent Organization will be benevolent to challengers to those councilers.
Not to mention that arrest warrants are issued by state courts, and holding judges accountable for shit warrants is lololololol
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

But also doing the shooting.

https://www.kjas.com/news/local_news/ar ... 83bd4.html

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Thank goodness the right-wing end of Grylliade is my paranoid delusion.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

On the plus side, the Senate just cleared its throat on the subject of peaceful transitions of power.

It's too much to hope for that Trump crosses enough lines to get Impeachment 2, Electric Boogaloo, but it has to put a crimp in the president's style.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

Eric the .5b wrote: 24 Sep 2020, 20:35 On the plus side, the Senate just cleared its throat on the subject of peaceful transitions of power.

It's too much to hope for that Trump crosses enough lines to get Impeachment 2, Electric Boogaloo, but it has to put a crimp in the president's style.
That’s nice. I don’t believe for a second that the Reds mean it. I also note the deafening Republican silence about Trump’s suggestion that state legislators encourage faithless electors.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Number 6 wrote: 24 Sep 2020, 20:56
Eric the .5b wrote: 24 Sep 2020, 20:35 On the plus side, the Senate just cleared its throat on the subject of peaceful transitions of power.

That’s nice. I don’t believe for a second that the Reds mean it. I also note the deafening Republican silence about Trump’s suggestion that state legislators encourage faithless electors.
That was what disturbed me most. I hadn't dismissed the Atlantic article, but neither had I accepted it fully because of the lack of other confirmation. However, if it was untrue, I would have expected indignant denials from Team Red. Instead, there have been a lot of weasel-words, but neither denial nor denunciation of the idea.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

The claim is that they'll only do this if the state's count can't be resolved. Of course, if you throw out enough conspiracy theories, do your best to sow distrust, challenge enough ballots, and generally throw up enough smoke, you can argue that pretty much any state's count has not been reliably resolved.

The FL Reds threatened to do this in 2000, so I don't think the Reds consider this beyond the pale.

If Trump wins again because of hijinks like this, I intend to fertilize the grass at his Palos Verdes golf course.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

If that sort of thing does happen (and I think it might), I shudder to think about what comes next.
The ramparts await, I guess.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Number 6 wrote: 24 Sep 2020, 21:37 If that sort of thing does happen (and I think it might), I shudder to think about what comes next.
What's especially scary to me is that there are no precedents in American history for various shenanigans Trump and the Republicans have been up to. And where the various non-American precedents are concerned, I have no idea which ones are most likely to be relevant. There are many literal, no-Godwin Fascist elements to much of what Trump and the GOP have been doing/saying lately -- but even then, there's a lot of different countries for the GOP to choose from, when deciding which one they want to emulate.

They've already discarded too much of what used to be considered "conventional American political wisdom" for me to even attempt to guess what they'll do next. Or what their followers and enablers will do. IMO we've long since past the point where I can say anyone who still supports Trump will support him no matter what.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

I think the answer is “anything that keeps them in power.”
Anything.
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

I have fantasies that I can't post. They involve Mar Lago, molten hot steel dildos, and French revolutionary slogans.

My mind is dark.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

thoreau wrote: 24 Sep 2020, 21:51 I have fantasies that I can't post. They involve Mar Lago, molten hot steel dildos, and French revolutionary slogans.

My mind is dark.
I’m not going to post what I think the worst case scenario is. I will quote Hamilton, from a song that feels appropriate at the moment. “We’re gonna fly a lot of flags at half mast.”