Orange is the new President

Dangerman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Dangerman » 06 Oct 2019, 13:38

That's funny but also sad, which in itself is so banal that it's funny and then sad again.

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Oct 2019, 15:04

Ellie wrote:
06 Oct 2019, 13:25

The third Biden/Trump debate will just be the two of them trying to draw a clock
I think I might not be getting all of that.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Pham Nuwen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Pham Nuwen » 06 Oct 2019, 15:14

I believe that is a test for alzheimers.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 06 Oct 2019, 15:57

"So these questions will be for all the candidates, one at a time, please. First, what color is the White House? Next, who is the current President of the United States? Third, are you wearing pants? We'll start with you, Mr. Biden."

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Oct 2019, 15:59

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
06 Oct 2019, 15:57
"So these questions will be for all the candidates, one at a time, please. First, what color is the White House? Next, who is the current President of the United States? Third, are you wearing pants? We'll start with you, Mr. Biden."
Could you repeat the question?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 07 Oct 2019, 14:03

The first contact the OLC memos re: the president being immune to indictment made with the judicial branch did not go so well.

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 07 Oct 2019, 16:26

Donald J Trump wrote:In my great and unmatched wisdom
OK. Time to invoke article 4 of the 25th amendment.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 07 Oct 2019, 16:59

Aresen wrote:
07 Oct 2019, 16:26

Donald J Trump wrote:In my great and unmatched wisdom
OK. Time to invoke article 4 of the 25th amendment.
Just when you think you've lost the ability to be surprised by his tweets he rolls out some new crazy.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 07 Oct 2019, 23:13

You guys are clearly coming down with Trump Derangement Syndrome; the POTUS is a VERY STABLE GENIUS. I know because he said so!
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 10 Oct 2019, 00:13

OK, this one got me:

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 10 Oct 2019, 00:17

dbcooper wrote:
10 Oct 2019, 00:13
OK, this one got me:

Culture-wide outbreak of bone spurs.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Shem

Post by Shem » 10 Oct 2019, 09:25

He just really, really wanted to see an army cross a southern border.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 10 Oct 2019, 12:05

"US forces never should have been there in the first place" is certainly true, and a valid thing to say if you're a peacenik plebeian or even moreso if you served a tour over there. But when you're the Commander-in-Chief of those forces and they are there, a slightly more sophisticated assessment of the situation is probably warranted.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 10 Oct 2019, 12:12

Hugh Akston wrote:
10 Oct 2019, 12:05
"US forces never should have been there in the first place" is certainly true, and a valid thing to say if you're a peacenik plebeian or even moreso if you served a tour over there. But when you're the Commander-in-Chief of those forces and they are there, a slightly more sophisticated assessment of the situation is probably warranted.
Trump and his fans think diplomacy is bullshit. Just blurt out the first words that come to mind; if other people don't like it, tough shit.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 10 Oct 2019, 12:20

Aresen wrote:
10 Oct 2019, 12:12
Hugh Akston wrote:
Trump and his fans think diplomacy is bullshit. Just blurt out the first words that come to mind; if other people don't like it, tough shit.
I'm not even talking about diplomacy. I'm talking about doing the job you set out to do effectively without breaking anything. But I guess as long as the thing you're breaking isn't yours who gives a shit.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

nicole

Post by nicole » 10 Oct 2019, 12:28

Hugh Akston wrote:
moreso
wtmf
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 10 Oct 2019, 12:39

nicole wrote:
10 Oct 2019, 12:28
Hugh Akston wrote:
moreso
wtmf

JD

Post by JD » 10 Oct 2019, 12:44

Hi, it's 1965's word of the year calling!

https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?c ... so%3B%2Cc0
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 11 Oct 2019, 11:03

As all of you know, I have opposed impeachment of Trump, mainly because I don't think the Senate would convict - thereby allowing Trump and his fans to claim 'vindication' - and because it would reinforce the tribalism in politics.

With Trump attempting to defy Congress and forbidding people in his administration to obey Congressional subpeonas, I have changed my mind. If he is allowed to get away with this, the damage to the republic would be irreparable. I am afraid the GOP in the Senate doesn't have the balls to uphold the US Constitution and defend Congressional powers.

If Trump gets away with this, I am certain that a cleverer and smoother future POTUS will exploit this to the fullest.

That would be worse than the tribalism.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 11 Oct 2019, 11:23

Aresen wrote:
11 Oct 2019, 11:03
As all of you know, I have opposed impeachment of Trump, mainly because I don't think the Senate would convict - thereby allowing Trump and his fans to claim 'vindication' - and because it would reinforce the tribalism in politics.
Yes, this.
Aresen wrote:
With Trump attempting to defy Congress and forbidding people in his administration to obey Congressional subpeonas, I have changed my mind. If he is allowed to get away with this, the damage to the republic would be irreparable. I am afraid the GOP in the Senate doesn't have the balls to uphold the US Constitution and defend Congressional powers.
If Trump gets away with this, I am certain that a cleverer and smoother future POTUS will exploit this to the fullest.
He will get away with it, though. And the damage has long since been irreparable. Your first paragraph is still correct, and the second shouldn't be conditional.
Aresen wrote:
That would be worse than the tribalism.
Both is even worse. And that, I suspect, is exactly what we're going to get. Trump will never be convicted by the Senate. And the very fact of the impeachment effort will solidify tribalism.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 11 Oct 2019, 11:51

Team 6. Congress has been ceding power to the White House for as long as I have been alive. While it would be nice to see them reassert it under as odious a creature as Trump, the sad fact is that party trumps everything else. Even those with the foresight to see the brakeless MAGA train headed over a cliff are too craven to risk their short-term electoral fortunes by doing anything about it. Trump will get away with it.

The only hope for getting rid of Trump is that he has alienated enough of his base over the past four years to overcome the Democrats' electoral incompetence in 2020.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 11 Oct 2019, 12:29

Pending the coup, irrespective of its source, Congress always retains the theoretical power to reassert itself, but I don't see it happening until, oddly enough, there are term limits. As long as the overwhelmingly strongest motivation in Congress is getting oneself reelected indefinitely, the fundamental strategy to achieve that goal will continue to be accruing and dispensing largess while avoiding controversial political responsibility. That means spending all of one's time raising private money for the purpose of being able to dole out public money in return while delegating responsibility both downward to staffers, regulators and lobbyists and laterally to the Executive Branch. The unsurprising number of members of both houses who suddenly find their principles roughly around the same time they decide not to run for another term supports my notion that twelve years, tops, is long enough for anyone to serve in Congress with any reasonable public expectation that such members might actually, you know, act as public servants while there.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 11 Oct 2019, 14:06

Hugh Akston wrote:
11 Oct 2019, 11:51
Team 6. Congress has been ceding power to the White House for as long as I have been alive. While it would be nice to see them reassert it under as odious a creature as Trump, the sad fact is that party trumps everything else. Even those with the foresight to see the brakeless MAGA train headed over a cliff are too craven to risk their short-term electoral fortunes by doing anything about it. Trump will get away with it.

The only hope for getting rid of Trump is that he has alienated enough of his base over the past four years to overcome the Democrats' electoral incompetence in 2020.
I am afraid you are right - that the GOP in the Senate is too gormless to assert themselves, but I think the attempt has to be made.

DAR makes a good point about term limits as well.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 12 Oct 2019, 16:11

Hugh Akston wrote:
Especially when you're bragging about sending troops to prop up the House of Saud.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Mo

Post by Mo » 12 Oct 2019, 18:01

But they paid cash, like we’re some low rent version of the Hessians. If the Dems were smart, if any of those troops get anything more serious than a hangnail, you run ads about him/her paying the price so Trump could get money from the masterminds of 9/11.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex