PS 411

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 18437
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: PS 411

Post by Hugh Akston » 04 Nov 2019, 15:45

Gaggle Knows Everything About Teens And Kids In School
[spoiler: the story is actually about how Gaggle doesn't seem to really know anything]
One of Gaggle’s central selling points is that it saves hundreds of lives each year from suicide. For the 2018–19 school year, it claimed that it prevented 722 students from committing suicide. When asked to explain, Gaggle said that out of the 52,000 references to suicide and self-harm it flagged, 6,000 were serious enough that Gaggle called the school “immediately.”

“Of those, 722 were so specific that we identify them as a ‘life saved,’” Gaggle said.
“One of the things [Gaggle is] teaching is not to share things, which is presumably the opposite of what many mental health professionals would say,” Igo said. If a student is afraid of being interviewed by school administrators, they may shut themselves off from adults.

It’s unclear, based on the emails alone, whether Gaggle was a helpful tool in assisting vulnerable students. In several email chains, teachers and administrators were already aware that the child was struggling and were in touch with the parents of the students in question.
Gaggle told BuzzFeed News that it “recommends” school districts get permission from parents and students before they use the company’s tools to monitor them. It also provides a choice to opt out, but since it works with required school services (email accounts, etc.), it’s unclear how that would work.

“If a student opts out of Gaggle, then they would not be able to use the school-provided technology and would have to use their personal email addresses for their school work — and that personal email would not be scanned by Gaggle,” a Gaggle spokesperson told BuzzFeed News. In other words, once a school district buys Gaggle services, students don’t have a school-friendly alternative.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 28699
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: PS 411

Post by thoreau » 05 Nov 2019, 11:42

California no longer has at-risk students. They're all at-promise.

If you say "at-risk" then you are being doubleplusungood.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 14038
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: PS 411

Post by Eric the .5b » 05 Nov 2019, 19:45

thoreau wrote:
05 Nov 2019, 11:42
California no longer has at-risk students. They're all at-promise.

If you say "at-risk" then you are being doubleplusungood.
Oh, wow.

Can we change "endangered species" to "enfortuned species"?
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 16323
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: PS 411

Post by Aresen » 05 Nov 2019, 19:56

Eric the .5b wrote:
05 Nov 2019, 19:45
thoreau wrote:
05 Nov 2019, 11:42
California no longer has at-risk students. They're all at-promise.

If you say "at-risk" then you are being doubleplusungood.
Oh, wow.

Can we change "endangered species" to "enfortuned species"?
I think the correct term is 'under-represented species.'
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 28699
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: PS 411

Post by thoreau » 07 Nov 2019, 10:32

https://arcdigital.media/im-a-teacher-a ... d4a6a8392d

"I’m a Teacher and a Waste of Money"
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 28699
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: PS 411

Post by thoreau » 19 Nov 2019, 13:54

This is a good article on the contradictory mess of political imperatives that people subject public schools to. Their final recommendation (a "Pain In The Ass" metric) is hardly a panacea, but contemplating it illustrates some valid points.

https://areomagazine.com/2019/11/19/wan ... lic-first/

But the main takeaway is that shit is fucked up and we'll never get agreement on how it's fucked, why it's fucked, or what to do about it.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

User avatar
Kolohe
Posts: 14073
Joined: 06 May 2010, 10:51
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: PS 411

Post by Kolohe » 01 Dec 2019, 17:49

Aresen wrote:
05 Nov 2019, 19:56
Eric the .5b wrote:
05 Nov 2019, 19:45
thoreau wrote:
05 Nov 2019, 11:42
California no longer has at-risk students. They're all at-promise.

If you say "at-risk" then you are being doubleplusungood.
Oh, wow.

Can we change "endangered species" to "enfortuned species"?
I think the correct term is 'under-represented species.'
potential dinner species.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 17736
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: PS 411

Post by lunchstealer » 01 Dec 2019, 20:57

Kolohe wrote:
01 Dec 2019, 17:49
Aresen wrote:
05 Nov 2019, 19:56
Eric the .5b wrote:
05 Nov 2019, 19:45
thoreau wrote:
05 Nov 2019, 11:42
California no longer has at-risk students. They're all at-promise.

If you say "at-risk" then you are being doubleplusungood.
Oh, wow.

Can we change "endangered species" to "enfortuned species"?
I think the correct term is 'under-represented species.'
potential dinner species.
Do we really need a The Freshman remake?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27890
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: PS 411

Post by Warren » 01 Dec 2019, 21:24

lunchstealer wrote:
01 Dec 2019, 20:57
Kolohe wrote:
01 Dec 2019, 17:49
Aresen wrote:
05 Nov 2019, 19:56
Eric the .5b wrote:
05 Nov 2019, 19:45
thoreau wrote:
05 Nov 2019, 11:42
California no longer has at-risk students. They're all at-promise.

If you say "at-risk" then you are being doubleplusungood.
Oh, wow.

Can we change "endangered species" to "enfortuned species"?
I think the correct term is 'under-represented species.'
potential dinner species.
Do we really need a The Freshman remake?
Only if we can get De Niro to play the Brando character.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 18437
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: PS 411

Post by Hugh Akston » 03 Dec 2019, 11:25

UT substitute goes on 10 minute rant to fifth-graders about how homosexuality is wrong

It was the week before Thanksgiving, and the substitute teacher had asked the boy’s class: “What are you thankful for this year?” Some of the kids had said turkey and mashed potatoes. One girl mentioned her dog. Another student joked about not having to go to school over the holiday.

The boy’s response was a bit more serious. “I’m thankful that I’m finally going to be adopted by my two dads,” he answered.

Students later said that the substitute snapped, “Why on earth would you be happy about that?”

For the next 10 minutes she lectured the 30 kids in the class about her own views, how “homosexuality is wrong” and “two men living together is a sin.” She looked at the boy, too, and told him: “That’s nothing to be thankful for.”

Three girls asked her to stop multiple times. But she continued, so they walked out of the room to get the principal.

As the substitute was escorted out of the building, she was still arguing, trying to make her point, the boy’s fathers say they were told by school officials.
Wooden bowties, OTOH, are indisputably morally wrong.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27890
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: PS 411

Post by Warren » 03 Dec 2019, 12:00

Hugh Akston wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 11:25
UT substitute goes on 10 minute rant to fifth-graders about how homosexuality is wrong

It was the week before Thanksgiving, and the substitute teacher had asked the boy’s class: “What are you thankful for this year?” Some of the kids had said turkey and mashed potatoes. One girl mentioned her dog. Another student joked about not having to go to school over the holiday.

The boy’s response was a bit more serious. “I’m thankful that I’m finally going to be adopted by my two dads,” he answered.

Students later said that the substitute snapped, “Why on earth would you be happy about that?”

For the next 10 minutes she lectured the 30 kids in the class about her own views, how “homosexuality is wrong” and “two men living together is a sin.” She looked at the boy, too, and told him: “That’s nothing to be thankful for.”

Three girls asked her to stop multiple times. But she continued, so they walked out of the room to get the principal.

As the substitute was escorted out of the building, she was still arguing, trying to make her point, the boy’s fathers say they were told by school officials.
Wooden bowties, OTOH, are indisputably morally wrong.
A shave and a haircut would go a long ways towards respectability as well. They look like a couple of guys who got caught robbing a liquor store dressed up for court.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 9971
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: PS 411

Post by nicole » 06 Dec 2019, 11:45

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Post Reply
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests