The real criminal is the judge

Pham Nuwen

Re: The real criminal is the judge

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Aresen wrote: 23 Dec 2018, 17:18 I have no love for poachers or trophy hunters. Let them eat carrion - preferably, dead skunks that have been rotting on the highway for a week.

My objection is to judges who get 'creative' in sentencing. Yes, it can be a window for 'poetic justice', but it can be an opening for cruelty - 'Scarlet Letters', anyone? - or attempting to validate the judge's own norms.

Remember the Eighth Amendment, people.
I thought there was only a 2nd amendment? The first being America fuck yeah!
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Number 6 wrote:I'm no fan of poachers. But I'm all in favor of exterminating deer. Yes, all of them.
#TeamFalcon
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Discussion of the Twitter thread about public defenders has been moved behind the veil: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2806
"Ellie is the Warren of comedy." -Shem
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

A Hamilton County Common Pleas judge has said that when he suspects a defendant is undocumented, he calls Immigration and Customs Enforcement himself.

Judge Robert Ruehlman told The Enquirer Wednesday: "They're committing a crime by being here illegally, and then, if they're in front of me, they've allegedly committed a felony."

And how does he know someone is here illegally? If the person needs an interpreter, is accused of drug smuggling or has international connections, Ruehlman said he acts on his hunch.

"I set a high bond and I call ICE," he said. "I'm batting a thousand. I haven't got one wrong yet."

Ruehlman said he calls ICE about a dozen times a year. He said he has a good relationship with the agency.
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/c ... 544220002/

Hey, judge: fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Ellie wrote: 24 Jan 2020, 16:51
A Hamilton County Common Pleas judge has said that when he suspects a defendant is undocumented, he calls Immigration and Customs Enforcement himself.

Judge Robert Ruehlman told The Enquirer Wednesday: "They're committing a crime by being here illegally, and then, if they're in front of me, they've allegedly committed a felony."

And how does he know someone is here illegally? If the person needs an interpreter, is accused of drug smuggling or has international connections, Ruehlman said he acts on his hunch.

"I set a high bond and I call ICE," he said. "I'm batting a thousand. I haven't got one wrong yet."

Ruehlman said he calls ICE about a dozen times a year. He said he has a good relationship with the agency.
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/c ... 544220002/

Hey, judge: fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you
Preferably with a cattle prod.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Warren wrote: 27 Mar 2020, 22:26 The REAL criminal is the judge. But I didn't want to create a new thread.

A Louisiana judge says drug users are too unhygienic to be released from jail

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

I would like to set a lot of things on fire, thanks very much

https://twitter.com/sbagen/status/1282986453492998145

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Ellie wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 10:47 I would like to set a lot of things on fire, thanks very much

Won't open for me, so I'd like to know what the 'real surprise' is.

This more or less affirms nicole's belief that public schools are prisons.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Okay, but a teenager on probation. Was her PO probably overzealous? Almost certainly. But in context this isn't about just any kid not doing her homework.
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Aresen wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 11:04
Ellie wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 10:47 I would like to set a lot of things on fire, thanks very much

Won't open for me, so I'd like to know what the 'real surprise' is.

This more or less affirms nicole's belief that public schools are prisons.
The surprise is that there is no surprise (The kid is African American in a school that has only a few)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
JD

Post by JD »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 11:06 Okay, but a teenager on probation. Was her PO probably overzealous? Almost certainly. But in context this isn't about just any kid not doing her homework.
Yeah, my feeling is that the headline is misleading; a more accurate one would be "teenager on probation gets sent to jail for violating terms of probation." It sounds like there are other, serious, issues with this case of probation, but those aren't helped by misrepresenting the case.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

JD wrote: 15 Jul 2020, 12:21
D.A. Ridgely wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 11:06 Okay, but a teenager on probation. Was her PO probably overzealous? Almost certainly. But in context this isn't about just any kid not doing her homework.
Yeah, my feeling is that the headline is misleading; a more accurate one would be "teenager on probation gets sent to jail for violating terms of probation." It sounds like there are other, serious, issues with this case of probation, but those aren't helped by misrepresenting the case.
Yeah if it was a cautionary tale of hey here's how absolutely fucked up the probation process is, look how it's crushing this family in its gears over what seems like complete trivia applied capriciously, oh and while it absolutely happens to suburban white kids, it happens to poor kids and kids of color at the expected over-amped rates, because of course that's what's best for kids and communities of color is to just brutalize them for failing to homeschool well in a pandemic.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

I'm at a loss for words how awful this is.

"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

dead_elvis wrote: 16 Nov 2020, 12:42 I'm at a loss for words how awful this is.

It's adding insult to injury, but it's the injury that needs fixing. Even without COVID, the notion of a speedy trial is farcical, bail clearly works to the disadvantage of the poor (as does the rest of the criminal justice system) and pre-trial detainment in jails with minimal staffing and supervision by comparison to penitentiaries has always been where the worst cases of abuse and neglect occur.

As for federal judicial hubris and indifference to mere mortals, well...

Appointed Forever