JD wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 11:50
Warren wrote:
17 Oct 2019, 21:35
JD wrote:
17 Oct 2019, 19:52
Jake wrote:
17 Oct 2019, 17:05
Another $20 here. How much does this sort of thing cost out that way, anyhow?
I am so square I have no idea. And unfortunately Craigslist seems to have done an excellent job lately of rousting out the people who used to spam it up with drugs.
WTF? Isn't there a street corner on your block?
Is that how you think drug deals go down around here, Grandpa? Somebody rides up to the street corner on his horse and says, "Ahoy! How much for a dram of your finest laudanum, sir?"?
Well. Isn't it?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

nicole
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Dancing With the Dems

Post by nicole » 18 Oct 2019, 12:58

Why on earth am I letting myself get annoyed about people supporting Medicare for All again? Yes, these fucks want to steal all my money and spend it on shit I hate, what else is new?
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

D.A. Ridgely
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 18 Oct 2019, 13:18

JD wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 11:50
Warren wrote:
17 Oct 2019, 21:35
JD wrote:
17 Oct 2019, 19:52
Jake wrote:
17 Oct 2019, 17:05
Another $20 here. How much does this sort of thing cost out that way, anyhow?
I am so square I have no idea. And unfortunately Craigslist seems to have done an excellent job lately of rousting out the people who used to spam it up with drugs.
WTF? Isn't there a street corner on your block?
Is that how you think drug deals go down around here, Grandpa? Somebody rides up to the street corner on his horse and says, "Ahoy! How much for a dram of your finest laudanum, sir?"?
Uber Deals?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 18 Oct 2019, 15:43

nicole wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 12:58
Why on earth am I letting myself get annoyed about people supporting Medicare for All again? Yes, these fucks want to steal all my money and spend it on shit I hate, what else is new?
If they don't steal your money and spend it on people who have failed to save, there will be riots and unrest that might effect the Powers That Be in their gated compounds.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 18 Oct 2019, 16:03

Andrew wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 15:43
nicole wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 12:58
If they don't steal your money and spend it on people who have failed to save, there will be riots and unrest that might effect the Powers That Be in their gated compounds.
Though (appropriately) cynical, that's true and that's why I foresee a guaranteed minimum income being inevitable eventually.

As a Medicare recipient (thankyouverymuch!), I no longer have much of a dog, personally, in that fight, but I'm unconvinced that transferring the amount of money businesses spend on employee health insurance to a universal medicare system would ipso facto lead to worse service or higher costs. Yes, there would be rationing, but that's done now by insurance companies who are just as much effectively monopolies for those insured employees who never see the money, regardless. I'm not turning in my decoder ring; I'm just skeptical that a national system that operates along the lines of the health benefits program for federal employees wouldn't work on a national scale.

Obviously, I'd prefer that employees give that tax-free money to those employees and let them shop for their own health care, that legal obstacles to insurance companies offering interstate plans were removed and that people wised up to the notion that what they really need is catastrophic care insurance and medical IRAs from which they could pay for routine medical expenses. I'd also like a unicorn who shat gold.

But we'd still have the problem, frankly, of geezer-care. I've sucked up more medical services in the last ten years than probably in the forty year prior and there's scant reason to believe that's going to change for the better until I kick the bucket. Mind you, I have always had good health insurance, and still do for my family; but when you get old, more things start not working properly, alas. Time was when I'd have said that when we Boomers finally all die off, the demographic pig in the python will be gone and eldercare will become less of a problem, but Millennials now represent the largest demographic bloc, and gawd only knows who's going to pay for their Medicare. You people really aren't making enough babies or, in the alternative, letting in enough immigrants, and there's going to be hell to pay.

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 23 Oct 2019, 01:00

Among her other flaws, Tulsi Gabbard is part of some weirdo intermarrying Hare Krishna offshoot cult, led by a guy who says, well:
The New Yorker wrote:In the nineteen-eighties, [Tulsi's guru Chris] Butler excoriated same-sex desire; he wrote, for instance, that bisexuality was “sense gratification” run amok, and warned that the logical conclusion of such hedonistic conduct was pedophilia and bestiality. (He declared, with striking certainty, that “an increasing number of women in the United States keep dogs for sexual reasons.”)
The Cult: https://www.google.com/search?q=Science ... e&ie=UTF-8
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 23 Oct 2019, 07:39

This makes me look at so many women I know in a different light.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 23 Oct 2019, 08:52

Kerry Howley did a deep dive on her background in the summer.

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/06/ ... paign.html

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 23 Oct 2019, 11:52

That explains why peanut butter marketing is so geared toward single women.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren » 23 Oct 2019, 13:05

Hugh Akston wrote:
23 Oct 2019, 11:52
That explains why peanut butter marketing is so geared toward single women.
I didn't get any bit of that.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 24 Oct 2019, 23:55

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Oct 2019, 02:36

Latinx? srsly?
fuck that
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD » 25 Oct 2019, 10:06

Yeah, I always wondered, WTF is wrong with "Latin" for cases like this? The outreach campaign itself is neither Latino nor Latina, so "Latinx" is kind of silly here.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 25 Oct 2019, 10:15

Latinx sounds like a new contraceptive for use by both sexes.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 25 Oct 2019, 11:31

The point of Latinx is to have a single word inclusive of both sexes in a gendered language. It's pretty common and fairly anodyne.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 25 Oct 2019, 11:34

For clarity that should be pronounced latin-ex not like it rhymes with sphinx, right?

nicole

Post by nicole » 25 Oct 2019, 11:35

I definitely pronounce it to rhyme with sphinx, in my head at least.

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 25 Oct 2019, 11:38

JasonL wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 11:34
For clarity that should be pronounced latin-ex not like it rhymes with sphinx, right?
Lah-TEEN-ex
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Oct 2019, 11:40

Ellie wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 11:38
JasonL wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 11:34
Lah-TEEN-ex
So like a French hit squad, taking out teenagers?

I like it! :D
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 25 Oct 2019, 11:41

If the gendered grammar of a language is responsible for gender inequality, then I assume that Iran is a far more gender-egalitarian country than Sweden.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

nicole

Post by nicole » 25 Oct 2019, 11:42

Hugh Akston wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 11:31
The point of Latinx is to have a single word inclusive of both sexes in a gendered language. It's pretty common and fairly anodyne.
I thought the point was to make sure that the single word inclusive of both sexes didn't appear masculine.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 25 Oct 2019, 11:43

So, when you break up with your Mexican adolescent boy or girlfriend, is s/he a Latin teen ex Latinx?

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Oct 2019, 11:48

nicole wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 11:42
Hugh Akston wrote:
I thought the point was to make sure that the single word inclusive of both sexes didn't appear masculine.
No, I think it's more
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 25 Oct 2019, 11:53

nicole wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 11:42
Hugh Akston wrote:
Yeah that's what inclusive means.

JD

Post by JD » 25 Oct 2019, 11:55

Hugh Akston wrote:
But English is not a gendered language (at least not in this sense). It's only "common" in the sense that virtue-signaling like this is common in Gizmodoid communities. There are a bunch of other ways it could have been phrased, but Gizmodo chose to use that one despite the fact that none of the original source materials used it. It's virtue-signaling.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston