Corona(virus)? ITS NOT EVEN BEER DAMMIT!!!

Pham Nuwen

Corona(virus)? ITS NOT EVEN BEER DAMMIT!!!

Post by Pham Nuwen »

The new thread I created for all your pandemic and plague needs.

So just got back from work. Everyone is now officially worried about coronavirus. 2% death rate is fucking awful if it takes off. I also learned that SARS had a 10% death rate which is cray cray.

https://www.jems.com/2020/01/29/2-death ... xdq01Chp-s
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
Aresen

Re: Corona(virus)? ITS NOT EVEN BEER DAMMIT!!!

Post by Aresen »

Every source I've seen says Wuhan Corona Virus is less deadly than the flu, but they all seem to relate only the number of deaths per population as a whole, not the mortality rate for persons infected. Maddeningly, nobody seems to post this simple statistic. )

This source says there were 31.4 million outpatient visits in the 2017-18 flu season and possibility of as many as 650,000 deaths due to influenza (US figures). But outpatient visits are not the same as total number infected.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

In both cases, it's a difficult number to come up with because it's hard to know the number of infected. Most people who get the flu don't bother with a doctor's visit, and thus don't show up in the tally of influenza cases. While I'm sure there are numbers out there that include some estimate of total infections, they're going to be just that-an estimate. Given how mild some cases of Corona virus are, the same problem is going to be present. The WHO's mortality number, however, is uncomfortably close to the 1918 flu, at 2 vs 2.5 percent. Of course, both those numbers are guesses, but I have to assume the epidemiologists aren't speaking totally ex rectum.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

To no one's great surprise, China chose to control the narrative rather than control the disease
In the middle of the night, officials from the health authority in the central city of Wuhan summoned Dr. Li, demanding to know why he had shared the information. Three days later, the police compelled him to sign a statement that his warning constituted “illegal behavior.”
The government’s initial handling of the epidemic allowed the virus to gain a tenacious hold. At critical moments, officials chose to put secrecy and order ahead of openly confronting the growing crisis to avoid public alarm and political embarrassment.
In those weeks, the authorities silenced doctors and others for raising red flags. They played down the dangers to the public, leaving the city’s 11 million residents unaware they should protect themselves. They closed a food market where the virus was believed to have started, but didn’t broadly curb the wildlife trade.
On the last day of 2019, after Dr. Li’s message was shared outside the group, the authorities focused on controlling the narrative. The police announced that they were investigating eight people for spreading rumors about the outbreak.

That same day, Wuhan’s health commission, its hand forced by those “rumors,” announced that 27 people were suffering from pneumonia of an unknown cause. Its statement said there was no need to be alarmed.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

This is going to be an awesome miniseries one day.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 17:34 This is going to be an awesome miniseries one day.
You mean, the miniseries which ends with Dr. Li being shot for 'embarrassing the state' and the Health Board people getting medals and promotions?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Aresen wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 17:41
Pham Nuwen wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 17:34 This is going to be an awesome miniseries one day.
You mean, the miniseries which ends with Dr. Li being shot for 'embarrassing the state' and the Health Board people getting medals and promotions?
Pham means exactly that. He's racking up those social credit points and getting on Xi's good side before the stateside rollout of the Chinese-made phone chips and the Chinese-developed surveillance AI.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Warren

Post by Warren »

Hugh Akston wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 18:03
Pham means exactly that. He's racking up those social credit points and getting on Xi's good side before the stateside rollout of the Chinese-made phone chips and the Chinese-developed surveillance AI.
Before?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Slip inside a sleeping bag.
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Dr. Li from my post above? He has the coronavirus
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Hugh Akston wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 22:47 Dr. Li from my post above? He has the coronavirus
TANJ

JD

Post by JD »

People are buying so many masks they're causing shortages, which could cause issues for healthcare professionals who really need the masks.

In Singapore, where prices went up as much as twenty-fold in response to shortages, "the government cracked down on retailers trying to profit from the shortage, as the country’s leaders urged sellers not to take advantage of the situation and raise prices unreasonably". So: profits bad, shortages good. Got it.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
nicole

Post by nicole »

Hugh Akston wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 22:47 Dr. Li from my post above? He has the coronavirus
State media reports Dr Li has died.

ETA and now state media is reporting that he's not!
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

nicole wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 11:57
State media reports Dr Li has died.

ETA and now state media is reporting that he's not!
Not to worry, I'm sure someone will die for reporting false information.
Shem

Post by Shem »

If it's how they handled the AIDS epidemic brought on by the government's pushing of a plasma economy, they'll ban the novel written about it,** then carve out the stuff that makes the government look bad and make the remainder the plot of the series. Then bask in the international praise.

**If you ever want to read a soul-crushing masterpiece, pick up "Dream of Ding Village."
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen
Warren

Post by Warren »

plasma economy :?:
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Shem

Post by Shem »

Warren wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 15:31 plasma economy :?:
Plasma Economy
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

:( :( :( :( :(

Sometimes it's not a positive thing to learn something new every day.
"Ellie is the Warren of comedy." -Shem
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Shem wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 15:59
Plasma Economy
Ugh. It's not that I love AMERICA INC®, it's that CHINA INC®, RUSSIA INC®, ENGLAND INC®, etc are all just as bad or worse.

Warren

Post by Warren »

Aresen wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 16:26
Shem wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 15:59
Plasma Economy
Ugh. It's not that I love AMERICA INC®, it's that CHINA INC®, RUSSIA INC®, ENGLAND INC®, etc are all just as bad or worse.
That's some third-world despotic exploitation shit there. Unworthy of an economic powerhouse.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Ellie wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 16:24 :( :( :( :( :(

Yeah, i was also doing a JFC take reading Shem's link
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Shem

Post by Shem »

Kolohe wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 23:46
Ellie wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 16:24 :( :( :( :( :(

Yeah, i was also doing a JFC take reading Shem's link
When I first started reading about it in undergrad, I was like "yeah, and the US and Europe also refused to move to protect their blood supplies." Then I was like "...oh."
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

China being China, I can't help but wonder whether Dr Li died of the respiratory strain of coronoavirus, or the 9mm variety.
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Hugh Akston wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 13:08 China being China, I can't help but wonder whether Dr Li died of the respiratory strain of coronoavirus, or the 9mm variety.
The Government of China wouldn't do that kind of thing. They'd use Yersinia pestis.