Corona(virus)? ITS NOT EVEN BEER DAMMIT!!!

Highway

Re: Corona(virus)? ITS NOT EVEN BEER DAMMIT!!!

Post by Highway »

Target has not been crowded the couple times I've gone, but it hasn't been anywhere near stocked. Probably about 70% of the food products, and well below par levels for those they did have.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

Does anyone have any idea why the supply chain is still fubar?
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

I just finished turning a bunch of left over roast beef ends into stew. I have enough for 30 meals, if it comes to that.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Number 6 wrote: 21 Mar 2020, 21:48 Does anyone have any idea why the supply chain is still fubar?
I suspect the supply chain is normal, or even producing and delivering more than usual; it's just that demand remains crazy.

I was able to buy toilet paper at Kroger today (24-pack of an established brand, yay!), but it was one of only TWO such packs in the whole store (and the one that remained had a corner torn open, and one of the rolls missing) -- but I went much earlier in the afternoon than I usually do -- and I noticed that a LOT of other carts in the store also held toilet paper -- far more than usual, I'd wager.

FWIW, Jeff and I currently have much more on hand than we usually do -- specifically, far more than we'd bother keeping on hand when we know we can buy more anytime we want.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Number 6 wrote: 21 Mar 2020, 21:48 Does anyone have any idea why the supply chain is still fubar?
My ex-recto guess is they hurried forward anything in demand that was in the supply line, so the 'just in time' slots have been emptied and the source supply hasn't caught up.

(Either that, or Trump, Pence and McConnell have bought everything up and are going gouge us when the C19atastrophe reaches its peak.)* /tinfoilhat

*Remember, you heard this crazy conspiracy theory here first.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Slip inside a sleeping bag.
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Heavily regulated, with a long time needed to spin up GMP (Good Manufacturing Process) certified production?
Highway

Post by Highway »

I'm also betting that people all along the supply chains for everything are being told to stay home too.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
Shem

Post by Shem »

Highway wrote: 21 Mar 2020, 22:20 I'm also betting that people all along the supply chains for everything are being told to stay home too.
Opposite problem, actually. Shipping and transport are some of the only folks who are still calling us for hiring events, because their current staff are already working massive overtime. Problem is, current capacity has been hijacked to move demand items that are either desperately needed by healthcare or snapped up by people trying to stock up. It means that as stores run out of other stuff, they're not able to resupply, since there's limited capacity to get it to them. So shelves wind up bare.

Also, an underrated aspect of the problem is the fact that President Trade Wars Are Awesome has spent the past few years making packaging expensive enough that nobody really wanted to stockpile. No stockpile+restricted flow of goods=difficulty in ramping up to meet demand.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen
Kwix

Post by Kwix »

Our supply chain is royally fubar. Normally a two week lead time is required here because we barge everything up from the outside. That means TP may be on high order but that won't be fulfilled for at least two weeks. I suppose they could truck it up via the Alcan but with driver shortages I doubt that's an option.
"People are sometimes the answer, but they are ALWAYS the problem." -- Ellie
"I thought during the apocalypse I would be counting ammo rounds instead of toilet paper rolls." --Twba
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Kwix wrote: 22 Mar 2020, 02:54 Our supply chain is royally fubar. Normally a two week lead time is required here because we barge everything up from the outside. That means TP may be on high order but that won't be fulfilled for at least two weeks. I suppose they could truck it up via the Alcan but with driver shortages I doubt that's an option.
I remember how long it took to get things shipped up when I was in Whitehorse. I see things haven't gotten any better.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

It's in Greenland and Madagascar, that officially means we're fucked.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

It would have gotten to Greenland sooner if Trump had bought the place.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

dead_elvis wrote: 22 Mar 2020, 16:23 It's in Greenland and Madagascar, that officially means we're fucked.
It's not in Antarctica!
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Dallas County is officially in shelter-in-place mode. My guess is that the entire state will be so decreed before mid-week.
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

As of Monday morning NZ (population 4.8M) had conducted 7400 tests, with 102 confirmed cases (1.38%) and zero deaths, while Australia (24.6M) had done 135000 tests, with 1479 confirmed cases (1.1%) and 7 deaths.

The US (327M) had performed 71870 tests, with 15,219 confirmed cases (21.2%) and 201 deaths. (Friday US time)

EDIT: (US) 191,541 PCR diagnostics have been performed as of 22 March, with 24,345 of them positive for the virus.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

As of Sunday night, US deaths are up to 417.

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2020/03 ... 584894502/
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Mo

Post by Mo »

My doctor has diagnosed me as most likely having COVID 19, but not scheduling me to get tested.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Mo wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 07:57 My doctor has diagnosed me as most likely having COVID 19, but not scheduling me to get tested.
Best wishes dude!
Highway

Post by Highway »

Yeah, best wishes, Mo. Hope it's not too rough.
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

WTF? Why wouldn't they want to test you? Is UK having a shortage of tests as well?
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex
nicole

Post by nicole »

Sorry bro. Good luck.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
JD

Post by JD »

I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Mo

Post by Mo »

Jasper wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 08:21 WTF? Why wouldn't they want to test you? Is UK having a shortage of tests as well?
Because it wouldn’t change the treatment right now which would be rest and isolate. He said I can get it if I want one, but not worth the expense (private doctor). He said he could send me a home test in the post.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Good luck Mo.