Corona(virus)? ITS NOT EVEN BEER DAMMIT!!!

Jennifer

Re: Corona(virus)? ITS NOT EVEN BEER DAMMIT!!!

Post by Jennifer »

Aresen wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 23:32
Jennifer wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 17:10
Meanwhile, Falwell announces Liberty University will re-open after spring break, and has ordered all faculty to return to campus.

https://www.newsadvance.com/news/local/ ... 57b76.html
Personally, I consider this good news (in a Darwinian sense).

Should be an excellent test of the efficacy of prayer.
I don't care much about the sort of people who'd send their kids to Liberty University; I'm worried about the other people who live in Lynchburg.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Jennifer wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 23:42
Aresen wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
Meanwhile, Falwell announces Liberty University will re-open after spring break, and has ordered all faculty to return to campus.

I don't care much about the sort of people who'd send their kids to Liberty University; I'm worried about the other people who live in Lynchburg.
Ever been in Lynchburg?

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 00:36
Jennifer wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 23:42
Aresen wrote:
Jennifer wrote:

Ever been in Lynchburg?
Not in ways that matter, but I knew a couple of people from there. Granted, they got the hell out as soon as they could, but even so: statistically speaking, there's at least three good people there who want to leave but can't for some reason, and I don't want them getting sick because Falwell's decided to be even more of an ass than usual.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Mo

Post by Mo »

Aresen wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 16:19
Jennifer wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 15:09
Even 5,000 is likely to be far too low. Consider that US deaths were at 201 on Friday, 417 Sunday night, and now we're over 500 before end-of-business on Tuesday. As for those 47,000 cases -- those are only the confirmed ones, and a tiny number compared to the vast majority of people who have NOT been tested, even those showing symptoms-- and Zod alone knows how many infected but asymptomatic people are out there.
If the infected-but-not-tested cases are the 'vast majority' of cases, that could skew the reported mortality rate.

For example, assume the actual number of cases is 4 to 10 times greater than reported. That will include a significant number who progress through the disease, but never get counted in the 'infected' statistics because their symptoms are too mild for them to seek help. This would mean that the actual mortality rate is lower than the 3 - 4% appearing in the news.

OTOH, the fact that there are still 4 to 10 x as many infected people in the general population that we do not know about, means the disease is going to continue to spread in the absence of a full lockdown.

The curve in the US and Canada is still exponential. I would not be surprised to see 5,000,000 reported cases and 200,000 dead.
Lack of testing can also mean that people that die of heart failure or pneumonia without getting tested may also be undercounted as COVID 19 cases.

Also, it’s funny that Epstein says, “Oh it was a math error for the US, but everything else is right,” only after the US number got passed and everyone dunked on him. Also, why is anyone trusting Chinese mortality or infection statistics now and relying on them for projections? I can see using the Korean example, but there is zero chance the numbers coming out of China are accurate.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole »

But Mo misinformation would never come from official sources

Only weirdos on social media create misinformation
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

nicole

Post by nicole »

Going to stroke out over the stimulus package over here

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

nicole wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 10:49
Why?
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

nicole

Post by nicole »

Hugh Akston wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 10:57
nicole wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 10:49
Why?
I'm just that excited to bail out Boeing for killing hundreds of people around the world while also doing nothing to pause mortgage and rent payments for people now forced out of work

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

It's more or less what I expected. Not too terrible. There's some means testing on the $1,200 checks, unemployment has longer term and bumped up calculation and expanded categories. Those things are so bills can be paid to be honest. I'm not really sure we know the full implications of "nobody has to pay a bill for 3 months" and that seems really aggressive as a concept to me given the cash handouts. If we pause rent, does the bank have to pause collection on real estate loans for the building? If the bank cash flow drops by that much what happens to liquidity and why issue any new loans for the duration?

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Guys let's just stop doing the economy and have a UBI instead.
Last edited by Hugh Akston on 25 Mar 2020, 11:31, edited 1 time in total.

JD

Post by JD »

Those were kind of my thoughts too. You can say "nobody has to pay rent!" and I guess you can say "and landlords don't have to pay property tax!" but what about costs that don't go away, like maintenance? In the case of banks, if they're not collecting stuff, what about paying their expenses?
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Mo wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 08:49
Also, why is anyone trusting Chinese mortality or infection statistics now and relying on them for projections? I can see using the Korean example, but there is zero chance the numbers coming out of China are accurate.
I don't trust the Chinese data. But their truthiness is irrelevant in terms of what the rest of the world is seeing and undergoing.

Your point about the possible undercount of deaths because they are assumed to be heart disease or regular pneumonia is a good one, though.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole »

I just can't not be super fucking irritated about everything means-tested at this point. I thought this was supposed to prove we were all in this together and that was a good thing not the worst thing in the world and a reason to specifically never send anyone a check for having a kid.

Mo

Post by Mo »

My point about the Chinese data thing is that Epstein and a lot of others with the low end death cases use China, and only China, as their bull case for how low the numbers can be kept.

Also, fuck Boeing. Their CEO said that if equity was a condition of the bailout, they’d find the money elsewhere. To me that says they should find the money elsewhere.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

nicole wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 11:46
I just can't not be super fucking irritated about everything means-tested at this point. I thought this was supposed to prove we were all in this together and that was a good thing not the worst thing in the world and a reason to specifically never send anyone a check for having a kid.
Or worse, a mortgage.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

N.J. man charged with terroristic threats for allegedly coughing on Wegmans worker
Falcone was standing close to an employee near the store's prepared food section when the worker asked him to move back, the state attorney general said in a statement.

Instead, Falcone stepped closer to her, leaned in and coughed, the statement said. He laughed, telling the woman he was infected with coronavirus and also telling two other employees they are "lucky" to have jobs.
The third-degree terrorism charge carries a sentence of three to five years in state prison, and the harassment charge a sentence of up to six months. Falcone was also charged with obstructing administration of law in the fourth degree, which carries a sentence of up to 18 months.
Stay legit, post-9/11 legal system.

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Mo wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 11:48
My point about the Chinese data thing is that Epstein* and a lot of others with the low end death cases use China, and only China, as their bull case for how low the numbers can be kept.
Ah. Right. I was thinking more about how the Chinese model - honest reporting or not - is irrelevant to our actual situation.
Mo wrote:Also, fuck Boeing. Their CEO said that if equity was a condition of the bailout, they’d find the money elsewhere. To me that says they should find the money elsewhere.
I'm sure they can find a reliable congresscritter to slip a line into some piece of legislation.

*(Did the wron Epstein die?)/tasteless
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Hugh Akston wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 11:52
N.J. man charged with terroristic threats for allegedly coughing on Wegmans worker
Falcone was standing close to an employee near the store's prepared food section when the worker asked him to move back, the state attorney general said in a statement.

Instead, Falcone stepped closer to her, leaned in and coughed, the statement said. He laughed, telling the woman he was infected with coronavirus and also telling two other employees they are "lucky" to have jobs.
The third-degree terrorism charge carries a sentence of three to five years in state prison, and the harassment charge a sentence of up to six months. Falcone was also charged with obstructing administration of law in the fourth degree, which carries a sentence of up to 18 months.
Stay legit, post-9/11 legal system.
That ship has sailed, struck an iceberg, and sunk to the bottom of the ocean.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Mo wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 08:49
Also, it’s funny that Epstein says, “Oh it was a math error for the US, but everything else is right,” only after the US number got passed and everyone dunked on him. Also, why is anyone trusting Chinese mortality or infection statistics now and relying on them for projections? I can see using the Korean example, but there is zero chance the numbers coming out of China are accurate.
"Even if I was wrong, I was wrong for the right reasons" has been a consistent theme from the American right-of-center for pretty much this whole millennium now. If the result of my quickie Google search is correct, Epstein thought invading Iraq was a sensible response to 9/11, too.

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Our cells have welcomed viral RNA with open arms and transcription factors.
"There are so few people at the Federal Mall it's almost as empty as it was at Trump's inauguration."
--D.A. Ridgely

nicole

Post by nicole »

Hugh Akston wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 11:49
nicole wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 11:46
Or worse, a mortgage.
That’s why everyone should get the same check.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I'd just as soon see everyone cut a check without means testing because, even under ideal circumstances, a means test to ensure that "only" sufficiently poor people get money is guaranteed to let some needy people slip through the cracks. I think the country has much bigger worries right now than ensuring the likes of Warren Buffett or Bill Gates don't cadge an extra thousand bucks or so from the feds.

Also: is "Old and sick people need to die to save the economy" becoming an actual right-wing talking point now? At first it was only the lieutenant governor of Texas saying that on a Fox News interview, but the likes of Brit Hume and Glenn Beck are actually parroting it, and I fear I'd find more if I bothered to look.

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

The GOP always warned us that Death Panels were coming for Grandma.
"There are so few people at the Federal Mall it's almost as empty as it was at Trump's inauguration."
--D.A. Ridgely

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

And of course, the bonus hypocrisy points of knowing that every one of these "drop dead, Grandma" types piously call themselves "pro-life" when "pro-life" means "using the power of the state to force women to maintain pregnancies against their will."