Corona(virus)? ITS NOT EVEN BEER DAMMIT!!!

lunchstealer

Re: Corona(virus)? ITS NOT EVEN BEER DAMMIT!!!

Post by lunchstealer »

Dangerman wrote:
27 Mar 2020, 12:20
What is going to happen/is happening in Africa? I can't really find any news, even on international services like the BBC and Al Jazeera...
There are definitely cases in Nigeria, and while there is apparently some benefit from warmer weather slowing the spread of the disease (I'd earlier thought there wasn't but some credible sources have said otherwise) this is going to be terrible down there. No way they have the infrastructure to provide medical care to the sick. Small villages may be socially isolated enough to stay okay for the most part, but their big cities and even modest towns are going to see significant deaths.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

My understanding of the developing world is that (like the early days of industrialization in the western world) there's at least a few people in those isolated villages that go to the city to work for a term, and then head back to their home villages for national holidays/work the harvest cycle.

(As was also the case in China)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

JD

Post by JD »

Dangerman wrote:
27 Mar 2020, 12:20
What is going to happen/is happening in Africa? I can't really find any news, even on international services like the BBC and Al Jazeera...
I don't know how accurate/up to date this is, but there's some good country-by-country info at
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

"cases per million population" is an interesting (and horrifying, in some cases) metric. For example, San Marino has "only" 223 cases, but considering that the entire country is only 33,000 people, that's a huge swath. Or even Iceland, with 890 cases in only about 365,000 people.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Twba

Post by Twba »

Jennifer wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 18:08
Seen quoted and linked elsewhere -- I can't actually read WaPo stories myself, due to lack of subscription:

I have two words for you: Bypass Paywalls.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Twba wrote:
27 Mar 2020, 15:14
Jennifer wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 18:08
Seen quoted and linked elsewhere -- I can't actually read WaPo stories myself, due to lack of subscription:

I have two words for you: Bypass Paywalls.
Or right click the link and select 'view in Incognito mode' or 'privacy mode' - something like that depending on your choice of browser. That prevents the browser from reporting back any previous cookies so WaPo's "You can read X free articles.." counter never increments.

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

JD

Post by JD »

lunchstealer wrote:
27 Mar 2020, 16:51
Or right click the link and select 'view in Incognito mode' or 'privacy mode' - something like that depending on your choice of browser. That prevents the browser from reporting back any previous cookies so WaPo's "You can read X free articles.." counter never increments.
A number of sites are implementing systems to detect incognito mode and prevent you from viewing the site in it, though.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

:cry:

can you manually delete cookies without going into incognito mode? I actually do that some too.

And I may not have run into that because I bet all of those also prevent adblockers and that's the fastest way to get me to decided that if your article is a hot enough take I'll hear about it elsewhere.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Incognito mode/deleting cookies only works if your source lets you read so many free articles per month. If there are free articles on WaPo or WSJ I ain't never seen 'em.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

WaPo used to do the five free per month or sommat like that.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Reader view used to be a way to get around things. Some of the more local newspapers it still works but the major national ones quashed it.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

Javascript blocking also sometimes works. (Try clicking the little lock next to the URL bar and see if it will let you block javascript from that domain.)

I actually have a WaPo subscription, though. Partly because it's easy with Amazon, but also partly because I feel like I should subscribe to some news.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Jadagul wrote:
27 Mar 2020, 20:13
I actually have a WaPo subscription, though. Partly because it's easy with Amazon, but also partly because I feel like I should subscribe to some news.
Same, ackshully.

Painboy

Post by Painboy »

There's a Chrome extension I use called Hide Incognito Mode. It gets around a number of them but not all.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

President Donald Trump’s latest target, Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, told a radio station Friday that medical supply vendors informed her they’ve been told “not to send stuff” to her state amid the battle against COVID-19.

Whitmer, a Democrat, didn’t say if the orders were coming from the White House or if vendors may have been intimidated by Trump’s feud with the governor. But she did appear to link the problem to the president because she told WWJ-AM in Detroit that she tried Thursday night to call the White House to discuss the issue.

She couldn’t get through to Trump, who was at the time trashing Whitmer — whom he referred to as “that young ... woman governor from Michigan” — to Sean Hannity on Fox News. “We don’t like to see the complaints,” Trump said in a phone interview.

Whitmer told WWJ: “When the federal government told us that we needed to go it ourselves [on medical supplies], we started procuring every item we could get our hands on. But what I’ve gotten back is that vendors with whom we had contracts are now being told not to send stuff here to Michigan.”

She added: “It’s really concerning. I reached out to the White House last night, asked for a phone call with the president, ironically at the time that all this other stuff was going on.”

Whitmer told CNN later in the day that the state’s shipments of personal protective equipment are being “canceled” or “delayed” — and sent instead to the federal government. She said it’s happening to other states as well.

Trump’s willingness to punish a state’s residents amid a pandemic over a feud with a governor appeared evident in a statement at his press briefing Friday. The president said he had instructed Vice President Mike Pence, who heads up the president’s coronavirus task force, not to call the governors of Washington or Michigan. The two states have among the highest number of coronavirus cases in the nation, and Michigan is experiencing a dramatic spike in cases from 350 a week ago to nearly 3,000 Friday.

“I say, ‘Mike, don’t call ... the woman in Michigan. It doesn’t make any difference what happens,’” Trump said.....
Tl:dr; the malignant narcissist in the White House is willing to see American citizens die because he doesn't like the governor of their state.

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/trump-gr ... 11002.html
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

There is no possible way that anybody could have foreseen that Trump might make aid contingent on whether a leader supported him personally.
"There are so few people at the Federal Mall it's almost as empty as it was at Trump's inauguration."
--D.A. Ridgely

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Donald Trump wrote: L’état, C’est Moi.
"There are so few people at the Federal Mall it's almost as empty as it was at Trump's inauguration."
--D.A. Ridgely

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

thoreau wrote:
28 Mar 2020, 13:19
There is no possible way that anybody could have foreseen that Trump might make aid contingent on whether a leader supported him personally.
Obviously not. Even those who were initially wrong about Trump were wrong for the right reasons. Maybe they wouldn't be such willfully ignorant assholes if snobs didn't condemn them for being willfully ignorant assholes! #MAGA.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Twba

Post by Twba »

The Donald and Michigan's governor were made for each other.

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Jennifer wrote:
28 Mar 2020, 13:09
President Donald Trump’s latest target, Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, told a radio station Friday that medical supply vendors informed her they’ve been told “not to send stuff” to her state amid the battle against COVID-19.

Whitmer, a Democrat, didn’t say if the orders were coming from the White House or if vendors may have been intimidated by Trump’s feud with the governor. But she did appear to link the problem to the president because she told WWJ-AM in Detroit that she tried Thursday night to call the White House to discuss the issue.

She couldn’t get through to Trump, who was at the time trashing Whitmer — whom he referred to as “that young ... woman governor from Michigan” — to Sean Hannity on Fox News. “We don’t like to see the complaints,” Trump said in a phone interview.

Whitmer told WWJ: “When the federal government told us that we needed to go it ourselves [on medical supplies], we started procuring every item we could get our hands on. But what I’ve gotten back is that vendors with whom we had contracts are now being told not to send stuff here to Michigan.”

She added: “It’s really concerning. I reached out to the White House last night, asked for a phone call with the president, ironically at the time that all this other stuff was going on.”

Whitmer told CNN later in the day that the state’s shipments of personal protective equipment are being “canceled” or “delayed” — and sent instead to the federal government. She said it’s happening to other states as well.

Trump’s willingness to punish a state’s residents amid a pandemic over a feud with a governor appeared evident in a statement at his press briefing Friday. The president said he had instructed Vice President Mike Pence, who heads up the president’s coronavirus task force, not to call the governors of Washington or Michigan. The two states have among the highest number of coronavirus cases in the nation, and Michigan is experiencing a dramatic spike in cases from 350 a week ago to nearly 3,000 Friday.

“I say, ‘Mike, don’t call ... the woman in Michigan. It doesn’t make any difference what happens,’” Trump said.....
Tl:dr; the malignant narcissist in the White House is willing to see American citizens die because he doesn't like the governor of their state.

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/trump-gr ... 11002.html
I watched the CNN report on that. Then I read the comments. For the love of your sanity, DO NOT READ THE COMMENTS.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

If only we'd had evidence that he might conflate his personal interests with the duties of his office, then surely the Very Fine People of the GOP would have been incented to impeach and convict. Alas, we never had the slightest indication that he might do such a thing.
--D.A. Ridgely

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Jennifer wrote:
28 Mar 2020, 14:02
thoreau wrote:
Obviously not. Even those who were initially wrong about Trump were wrong for the right reasons. Maybe they wouldn't be such willfully ignorant assholes if snobs didn't condemn them for being willfully ignorant assholes! #MAGA.
Sorry, who are you guys arguing with exactly? Who was wrong about Trump?
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Hugh Akston wrote:
28 Mar 2020, 14:25
Jennifer wrote:
thoreau wrote:
If your memory has blotted out all knowledge of American presidential politics and its surrounding landscape from around, say, December 2015 to now, I cannot in good conscience re-subject you to that trauma. I will say only that, even now, Trump has not only supporters who insist that everything he says and does regarding covid-19 is dandy, but also those who don't support Trump, exactly, but somehow whenever they discuss current events they manage to spend a lot more time sneering at his critics than his actions.

Shem

Post by Shem »

Twba wrote:
28 Mar 2020, 14:08
The Donald and Michigan's governor were made for each other.
That's the study where they didn't even bother to properly track their very small control group.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Jennifer wrote:
28 Mar 2020, 14:42
Hugh Akston wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
thoreau wrote:
If your memory has blotted out all knowledge of American presidential politics and its surrounding landscape from around, say, December 2015 to now, I cannot in good conscience re-subject you to that trauma. I will say only that, even now, Trump has not only supporters who insist that everything he says and does regarding covid-19 is dandy, but also those who don't support Trump, exactly, but somehow whenever they discuss current events they manage to spend a lot more time sneering at his critics than his actions.
What I'm asking is who out there thought that Trump was going to conduct his presidency like a normal president, or even like a normal human being? My understanding is that both his base and his institutional supporters were well aware that he was going to be the same incurious, egomaniacal, boorish, deeply insecure pathological liar in the White House that he was on reality TV, and they were okay with that.

Painboy

Post by Painboy »

Hugh Akston wrote:
28 Mar 2020, 15:08
Jennifer wrote:
28 Mar 2020, 14:42
Hugh Akston wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
thoreau wrote:
What I'm asking is who out there thought that Trump was going to conduct his presidency like a normal president, or even like a normal human being? My understanding is that both his base and his institutional supporters were well aware that he was going to be the same incurious, egomaniacal, boorish, deeply insecure pathological liar in the White House that he was on reality TV, and they were okay with that.
Further who are they talking to in this forum? I was unaware the Gryll was widely read in MAGA circles.