Corona(virus)? ITS NOT EVEN BEER DAMMIT!!!

lunchstealer

Re: Corona(virus)? ITS NOT EVEN BEER DAMMIT!!!

Post by lunchstealer »

Ellie wrote: 02 Apr 2020, 17:42
Jadagul wrote: 02 Apr 2020, 16:02 when I want bread I just pinch some off.
*snickers like a fourth grader*
You should hear his recipe for grunt pie.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

The best explanation I've seen on the relationship between covid, obesity, and death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J0d59d ... k1FCyJx7uw
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
Warren

Post by Warren »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 04 Apr 2020, 19:04 The best explanation I've seen on the relationship between covid, obesity, and death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J0d59d ... k1FCyJx7uw
Good yuks. Needs an editor, at least twice as long as it should be.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

That's why it kept getting more and more real to me. That's a doctor who knows what hes talking about. The mannerisms are to on point.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Jadagul wrote: 02 Apr 2020, 19:49 I don't know that I have any particularly good sources here. I've just made a lot of bread.

There are two approaches. One is the Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day approach, for which you should get the book Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. This involves no kneading and is super easy.

The other is a more traditional method that includes kneading. This is much _easier_ if you have a stand mixer with a dough hook, but it's not per se necessary. I learned out of a book by Amy's Bread, but I don't know that I recommend it particularly.

My basic recipe is bloom "some" yeast in like 12 oz of water, and then add like 16 oz bread flour, like half an ounce of sugar and an ounce of canola oil. Stir together, sit twenty minutes, then knead in stand mixer for like 6-7 minutes until the dough windowpanes. Sit twenty minutes again, then shape into a loaf (watch a video here if you don't know how, because I cannot explain it in text). Bake on 450 for like ten minutes, and then at 350 for another 5-10 until it sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
I'd recommend Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast, by Ken Forkish. A very easy read and has a section on sourdoughs. A starter can be made in about 8 - 10 days, and ignore his advice of using a pound of four & water each day to feed it. I did my starter using this method and only fed it about 120 g of each per day, and kept it on the cooler side so the yeast wouldn't run out of food too fast.

There's also the original Tartine Bread by Chad Robertson which is a little bit more stick-up-the-ass, but has essentially the same methods, several more recipes including enriched breads, and is (or was) a free Kindle download if you have Amazon Prime.

Both are good, and once you learn the basic methods, it's very easy to start adjusting hydration levels and playing with formulas for what you want. You can take FWSY's basic white Saturday formula, drop the water a bit, add some oil or melted butter, maybe a bit of sugar, turn it a few more times, and then shape and bake it off in a loaf pan for sandwich bread.

[/stereotype]
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex
Mo

Post by Mo »

You can always count on John Yoo to come up with the stupidest takes. Yes, the US should totally expropriate all Chinese property in the US, that definitely won’t have any blowback on US companies that have facilities or require Chinese manufacturers to make stuff for their supply chains. This is clearly one of those areas where the TPP would be hugely useful where you can provide corporations incentives to move their stuff outside China and slowly bleed them rather than get into a completely idiotic war of seizing foreign assets where were at a huge disadvantage.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/04/ ... china-pay/
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Mo wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 18:21 You can always count on John Yoo to come up with the stupidest takes. Yes, the US should totally expropriate all Chinese property in the US, that definitely won’t have any blowback on US companies that have facilities or require Chinese manufacturers to make stuff for their supply chains. This is clearly one of those areas where the TPP would be hugely useful where you can provide corporations incentives to move their stuff outside China and slowly bleed them rather than get into a completely idiotic war of seizing foreign assets where were at a huge disadvantage.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/04/ ... china-pay/
That is some high grade stupid.

I noted this bit:
John Yoo wrote:The United Nations Security Council, allegedly the supreme lawmaking and executive body in international law, cannot hold China to account because China and Russia exercise their permanent right to veto any Security Council resolution.
The UN Security Council was never a law-making body. The veto was an explicit recognition that none of the great powers could be constrained against its will. The whole idea was that, if the members of the UN Security Council did agree on something, the presence of the great powers meant it could enforce its will.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Rather than rely on corrupt, conflicted international institutions such as the WHO, the United States and its allies should engage in self-help. To protect against the next virus outbreak, the U.S. should create a new monitoring mechanism that can detect global health threats early, spread information about them reliably, and coordinate national efforts to develop a response.
Gosh, if only someone had thought of that. Say, 3-4 months ago, or maybe a few years ago. You know, like they did.

The whole article is just more stupid Look at the Monkey from people trying to deflect from their own terrible choices.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
Mo

Post by Mo »

It’s also funny to see conservatives complain about things like the ICC being unable to hold the Chinese to account when they explicitly don’t want the ICC to be able to hold Americans to account because it violates sovereignty.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Mo wrote: 07 Apr 2020, 02:25 It’s also funny to see conservatives complain about things like the ICC being unable to hold the Chinese to account when they explicitly don’t want the ICC to be able to hold Americans to account because it violates sovereignty.
One might almost be tempted to draw the conclusion that conservatives are hypocrites.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Painboy

Post by Painboy »

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

And in about 2 to 4 weeks it will pick up again. Waves big and small. As people get sick of cowering/cabin fever, head out and promptly get infected.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 07 Apr 2020, 19:05 And in about 2 to 4 weeks it will pick up again. Waves big and small. As people get sick of cowering/cabin fever, head out and promptly get infected.
This exact scenario played out in Denver in the 1918 pandemic. They had a double peak in deaths, one before and one after their social distancing program.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Shem

Post by Shem »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 07 Apr 2020, 19:05 And in about 2 to 4 weeks it will pick up again. Waves big and small. As people get sick of cowering/cabin fever, head out and promptly get infected.
We're looking down at least another month of locked away with everything closed, so it'll be longer than that.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Maybe, Shem. People are going nuts already. The number of motorcycle and car accidents has gotten worrisome. I just dont think we'll be able to hold this down after April.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Shem wrote: 07 Apr 2020, 21:14
We're looking down at least another month of locked away with everything closed, so it'll be longer than that.
Also. My inpatient pharmacy gig is pretty clear they expect this to be a thing for the next 2 years. Til everyone susceptible is dead or has antibodies at that point.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

I mean, what the ever living fuck.

My brother's hospital was expecting a PPE shipment they purchased. FEMA seized it so they could sell it back to them at a higher price.
Hospitals say feds are seizing masks and other coronavirus supplies without a word

Almost put this in Competing Political Horrors because while I'm sure there are plenty of question marks about how HRod would have handled things and I'm sure FEMA would probably screw things up somehow, I'm pretty sure shit like this wouldn't have happened.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
Shem

Post by Shem »

"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

dead_elvis wrote: 08 Apr 2020, 19:19 Almost put this in Competing Political Horrors because while I'm sure there are plenty of question marks about how HRod would have handled things and I'm sure FEMA would probably screw things up somehow, I'm pretty sure shit like this wouldn't have happened.
Something something Clinton Global Initiative, therefore Orange Man no worse.

Also, HRod's FDA would have told people not to take medication combos with unproven benefits and proven side effects, while Trump encourages it, so something something freedom!
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

dead_elvis wrote: 08 Apr 2020, 19:19 I mean, what the ever living fuck.

My brother's hospital was expecting a PPE shipment they purchased. FEMA seized it so they could sell it back to them at a higher price.
Hospitals say feds are seizing masks and other coronavirus supplies without a word

Almost put this in Competing Political Horrors because while I'm sure there are plenty of question marks about how HRod would have handled things and I'm sure FEMA would probably screw things up somehow, I'm pretty sure shit like this wouldn't have happened.
I saw this on politico and was hoping it wasn't a real thing. At least I understand why the Inspector General for the COVID stimulus was shitcanned now. Sigh.

Kwix

Post by Kwix »

lunchstealer wrote: 07 Apr 2020, 19:31
This exact scenario played out in Denver in the 1918 pandemic. They had a double peak in deaths, one before and one after their social distancing program.
Not doubting but do you have sources for that? I'd be interested in reading.
"People are sometimes the answer, but they are ALWAYS the problem." -- Ellie
"I thought during the apocalypse I would be counting ammo rounds instead of toilet paper rolls." --Twba
Kwix

Post by Kwix »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 07 Apr 2020, 22:47 Maybe, Shem. People are going nuts already. The number of motorcycle and car accidents has gotten worrisome. I just dont think we'll be able to hold this down after April.
I'd think less traffic on the roads. That there's an uptick is definitely worrisome.
"People are sometimes the answer, but they are ALWAYS the problem." -- Ellie
"I thought during the apocalypse I would be counting ammo rounds instead of toilet paper rolls." --Twba
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Kwix wrote: 09 Apr 2020, 04:16
lunchstealer wrote: 07 Apr 2020, 19:31
Not doubting but do you have sources for that? I'd be interested in reading.
The Great Influenza. Good book.

Highway

Post by Highway »

Kwix wrote: 09 Apr 2020, 04:17
Pham Nuwen wrote: 07 Apr 2020, 22:47 Maybe, Shem. People are going nuts already. The number of motorcycle and car accidents has gotten worrisome. I just dont think we'll be able to hold this down after April.
I'd think less traffic on the roads. That there's an uptick is definitely worrisome.
Is there an uptick? I see a few articles from mid-late March showing that car crashes are down significantly, but they could have increased in the couple weeks since then. They are also very limited in their scope (talking about counties or cities). I also wonder if it's a motorcycle thing where 1) it's spring, so people get the motorcycles out, and 2) there's less traffic on the roads, so motorcyclists go faster, and 3) people might have not much to do, so they go for more motorcycle rides.

There is a truism to motorcycle riding: It will eventually kill you. The only way it won't is if you stop riding or die of some other cause before the motorcycle riding kills you.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »