Random covid-19 observations

Painboy

Re: Random covid-19 observations

Post by Painboy »

thoreau wrote: 14 Apr 2020, 11:37 Who wants to tell her?

I already feel sorry for her knowing the amount of shitposting that's going to be coming her way.
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

With the ban on reusable bags at the grocery store and the return of free plastic bags, I am replenishing my supply of bags for my waste baskets. :)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Looking at that Twitter, I have no idea whether it's news and satire or just batshit. Poe's fucking law.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

A week or so ago, Jeff placed an order for reusable cloth masks from some not-Amazon mail-order company he found (actually, he placed two orders with two different companies). First order came in the mail today; turns out when Jeff thought he ordered two masks, one for each of us, he actually ordered two two-packs of masks, so we now have four of them. Each mask has two sets of strings to tie around the back of your head, one set each at the top and bottom of the mask, so you can make it fit your head relatively snugly (and if you're me, you can ensure the straps are positioned conveniently around any beavertail-barrettes you might be wearing at the back of your head).

The masks said to launder before using, so I did a tiny hot-water laundry load of just those four masks, plus the cutoff T-shirt sleeve Jeff had been wearing in lieu of one, then left for a grocery/detergent-buying errand wearing the used-disposable paper mask I'd been relying on practically since this started. When I got back home Jeff had put the masks in the dryer, and told me he learned a very valuable lesson about washing those masks: you HAVE to put each mask in its own little mesh laundry bag before putting them in the washer OR dryer, because during the wash cycle the 16 strings of those four masks tangled themselves into a near-impossible ball which took Jeff considerable time to untangle.

Luckily, we already happen to have four mesh laundry bags with plastic zippers, so each mask went in its own bag before going into the dryer. And I would've had to throw away that paper disposable mask today anyway, because I've worn it so many times its earloop straps are losing their stretchiness.

Also today, Jeff got a message from the SECOND cloth mask company he'd ordered from, saying their order would be delayed because one of their distributors closed down.

ETA: Jeff took a picture of the result, after the four masks were washed together without being confined to bags:

Last edited by Jennifer on 14 Apr 2020, 21:28, edited 2 times in total.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Slip inside a sleeping bag.
Twba

Post by Twba »

Kwix wrote: 09 Apr 2020, 04:59
Twba wrote: 01 Apr 2020, 12:22 I thought during the apocalypse I would be counting ammo rounds instead of toilet paper rolls.
CSTSSS

Also, though you've probably mentioned it elsewhere, what is Twba? Not related to TMBG I presume?
It started as just a little inside joke. It stands for the world's biggest asshole.
Twba

Post by Twba »

And now for some not so random observations. I saw fewer cars on the road during my normal commute today. Are people suddenly taking this lock down seriously? No. They are scared shitless of going broke if they burn a little cheap gasoline. We allowed our incompetent political class to crater our economy to "flatten the curve." We put millions out of work for the uncommon cold. Good fucking job, America.

But, but, but, Sweden! Yeah, I'm sure Sweden will turn out so poorly when it develops herd immunity and its geezers return to public life. What a fucking tragedy. Sweden would be so much better off if it destroyed its economy.
Kwix

Post by Kwix »

I'll be honest here, I'm working from home because I can. No 1 hr commute, work in pjs, doing the exact same shit I did in the office? Yes please.
"People are sometimes the answer, but they are ALWAYS the problem." -- Ellie
"I thought during the apocalypse I would be counting ammo rounds instead of toilet paper rolls." --Twba
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Kwix wrote: 15 Apr 2020, 01:38 I'll be honest here, I'm working from home because I can. No 1 hr commute, work in pjs, doing the exact same shit I did in the office? Yes please.
This Friend speaks my mind.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Shem

Post by Shem »

Eric the .5b wrote: 14 Apr 2020, 14:58

Looking at that Twitter, I have no idea whether it's news and satire or just batshit. Poe's fucking law.
This is Nigeria (don't catch you slipping now)
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Twba wrote: 14 Apr 2020, 21:41
Kwix wrote: 09 Apr 2020, 04:59
Twba wrote: 01 Apr 2020, 12:22 I thought during the apocalypse I would be counting ammo rounds instead of toilet paper rolls.
CSTSSS

Also, though you've probably mentioned it elsewhere, what is Twba? Not related to TMBG I presume?
It started as just a little inside joke. It stands for the world's biggest asshole.
I just assumed you were from Cardiff and played sousaphone.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

dbcooper wrote: 15 Apr 2020, 23:34
Is there a COVID angle to that? Cops seem to prefer shooting or running over guys with knives at the best of times.
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Eric the .5b wrote: 16 Apr 2020, 00:32 Is there a COVID angle to that? Cops seem to prefer shooting or running over guys with knives at the best of times.
I assume so. Guy looks mentally ill?
Highway

Post by Highway »

Gotta get those punches in after they dog pile him. Guy definitely looked mentally ill, tho, and sure looked like he was intending to harm people.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Twba,

It's not the uncommon cold though. The trouble with any lockdown is that if successful it will look like a huge overreaction. The other more troubling aspect is without the lockdown it might have burned itself out and looked like a huge overreaction from medical professionals. Which are we seeing? I have a feeling it will depend on how you felt about it initially. But we had our peak as predicted and we're seeing a drop in hospitalization and deaths as predicted. Make of that what you will.

Shrug. Your going to have to juggle that with your own feelings.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
Warren

Post by Warren »

dbcooper wrote: 16 Apr 2020, 00:53
Eric the .5b wrote: 16 Apr 2020, 00:32 Is there a COVID angle to that? Cops seem to prefer shooting or running over guys with knives at the best of times.
I assume so. Guy looks mentally ill?
He does. Also seems to be attempting suicide by cop.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

I misread that as "mowed down by a sub" and I was genuinely expecting the motorist to yeet a footlong sandwich at the guy's head and knock him down.
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I'm almost out of disposable gloves, and I have not been able to find replacements **anywhere.** (And unlike disposable masks, these gloves are absolutely single-use items: I wear the glove once and after I take it off, I couldn't re-use it even if I wanted to.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Jennifer wrote: 17 Apr 2020, 14:36 I'm almost out of disposable gloves, and I have not been able to find replacements **anywhere.** (And unlike disposable masks, these gloves are absolutely single-use items: I wear the glove once and after I take it off, I couldn't re-use it even if I wanted to.)
I've figured out how to wear just one glove on some errands keeping my left hand in my pocket until I get back in the car. It's awkward but it works. I know lots of women's clothing don't have pockets, but maybe wearing pants?
Painboy

Post by Painboy »

Ellie wrote: 17 Apr 2020, 08:46 I misread that as "mowed down by a sub" and I was genuinely expecting the motorist to yeet a footlong sandwich at the guy's head and knock him down.
Your mind went to a much better place than mine did. When I read I thought I was going to see some poor guy shot with a sub-machine gun. I was actually relieved to see him just get hit by a car.
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Jennifer wrote: 17 Apr 2020, 14:36 I'm almost out of disposable gloves, and I have not been able to find replacements **anywhere.** (And unlike disposable masks, these gloves are absolutely single-use items: I wear the glove once and after I take it off, I couldn't re-use it even if I wanted to.)
Washable cotton gloves serve the same function
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 17 Apr 2020, 14:41
I've figured out how to wear just one glove on some erranda keeping my left hand in my pocket until I get back in the car. It's awkward but it works. I know lots of women's clothing don't have pockets, but maybe wearing pants?
Jeff and I have long since gone down to "one glove for shopping trips" (otherwise, we'd already have run out), and among other personal adjustments I've made for the duration, when I go out nowadays I wear a decorative old "fanny pack" [purchased in the 1990s, during that week and a half when decorative fanny packs were trendy] and will carry some clean rag-cloth pieces which I'll use for when my un-gloved hand needs to do something. And I've worked out a system, too complex and boring to explain here, to separate "clean un-used rags" from "clean but used and presumably contaminated rags" on my own person, plus a bottle of sanitizer and other pandemic paraphernalia.

And for everyday errands such as disposing of household garbage in the dumpster I don't use gloves at all -- NOT because "I am too frugal or stingy to wear a disposable glove every time I leave the house," not even because "I'm so poor I cannot afford the expense of disposable gloves every time I leave the house," but because "Those gloves are genuinely unavailable, at any price." Which, of course, is not something my contemporary American self is used to experiencing in regard to commonplace consumer goods.

ETA: Just saw Hugh's comment -- I have been toying with the idea of using certain old El Cheapo yarn winter gloves from my New England days, to wear on necessary shopping trips and such ... except the only advantage I can see them having over just going out bare-handed is, when I wear those gloves there's no fear I will thoughtlessly/automatically do things like "Touch my eye to remove an errant lash" or something. But -- given that the whole point of wearing gloves these days is "protection from the viruses you should assume are crawling on whatever surface you touch" -- and also given that applying hand-sanitizer gel to yarn cloth is likely to be less effective than trying to apply it to either bare skin or hands in plastic gloves -- I wonder if wearing those yarn gloves might actually be less effective/convenient/helpful than making do with "rag cloths to hold in my hand if I touch things, and the little hand-sanitizer bottle to periodically apply to my hands."
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Maybe rubber dishwashing gloves that one sanitizes (while wearing) after returning home might work out well.
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

The virus can't penetrate your skin, so the reason you wear gloves is to prevent you from fondling your mucus membranes with contaminated digits. So reusable cloth or rubber gloves are probably fine. That and medical professionals need those sterile disposable gloves more than you do.