Random covid-19 observations

lunchstealer

Re: Random covid-19 observations

Post by lunchstealer »

Hugh Akston wrote: 20 Apr 2020, 21:39
lunchstealer wrote: 20 Apr 2020, 19:51
Twba wrote: 20 Apr 2020, 19:34
thoreau wrote: 20 Apr 2020, 19:30 There's 10 million people in the county, more in the metro area. Several hundred thousand infections is still less than 10% of the county. The lockdown has worked. Whether it's worth the cost involves a value judgment about tradeoffs, but if this thing is as transmissible as it seems then I am pretty sure that normal activity would have resulted in several million cases.
Really? You think Americans are too fucking stupid to continue working without coughing in each other's faces? Humans are pretty fucking adaptable. Even the ones who are not professors.
A not-insubstantial majority of humans going to the grocery store and pharmacy around here are too fucking stupid to put on a goddamned mask.
Oh shit did I miss the newsblast that masks were definitively proven to prevent transmission in non-clinical settings and that they were recommended for everyone, including people who had already contracted and recovered from the virus?
Fuck it's been a long week and I'm tired. Can't tell if joking.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

College: my friends appreciated it when I told them where they could score some weed.

Now: my friends appreciate it when I tell them where they can score some disinfectant wipes and latex gloves.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Jennifer wrote: 20 Apr 2020, 21:59
thoreau wrote: 20 Apr 2020, 19:30 There's 10 million people in the county, more in the metro area. Several hundred thousand infections is still less than 10% of the county. The lockdown has worked. Whether it's worth the cost involves a value judgment about tradeoffs, but if this thing is as transmissible as it seems then I am pretty sure that normal activity would have resulted in several million cases.
Really? You think Americans are too fucking stupid to continue working without coughing in each other's faces? Humans are pretty fucking adaptable. Even the ones who are not professors.
A not-insubstantial majority of humans going to the grocery store and pharmacy around here are too fucking stupid to put on a goddamned mask.
Oh shit did I miss the newsblast that masks were definitively proven to prevent transmission in non-clinical settings and that they were recommended for everyone, including people who had already contracted and recovered from the virus?
As of right now, according to Worldometers, the total number of active cases in the US is 792,759, with 42,514 dead and 72,389 recovered. Did I miss the memo that those 72K people out of a population of 330-something million are the only ones going out without masks?
You might well have missed the memo about the biggest single problem of the pandemic being the lack of access to testing, meaning that there is no way of knowing how many people have contracted and recovered from mild or asymptomatic cases.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

lunchstealer wrote: 21 Apr 2020, 03:12
There's no consensus on whether PPE are necessary/effective for healthy people to wear in public. Much less any epidemiological evidence for how effective they are at preventing transmission relative to social distancing and good hygiene. It's likely but not proven that people who have recovered from the virus are immune, and wouldn't benefit themselves or other by donning PPE in public. That's on top of the aforementioned lack of access to testing, meaning that we really don't know the transmission rate, infection rate, or severe case rate.

So while it's possible that people are making reasonable decisions based on limited and sometimes contradictory information, it's much more likely that everyone on earth is a dumbfuck except for you.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Hugh Akston wrote: 21 Apr 2020, 12:44
lunchstealer wrote: 21 Apr 2020, 03:12
There's no consensus on whether PPE are necessary/effective for healthy people to wear in public. Much less any epidemiological evidence for how effective they are at preventing transmission relative to social distancing and good hygiene. It's likely but not proven that people who have recovered from the virus are immune, and wouldn't benefit themselves or other by donning PPE in public. That's on top of the aforementioned lack of access to testing, meaning that we really don't know the transmission rate, infection rate, or severe case rate.

So while it's possible that people are making reasonable decisions based on limited and sometimes contradictory information, it's much more likely that everyone on earth is a dumbfuck except for you.
OK so everyone should assume that social distancing and hygiene are enough for an airborne illness because we can't confirm that they haven't caught the disease, remained asymptomatic, and have now developed immunity?

Sometimes I have to pass someone in the grocery aisle at less than six feet.

I mean, your premise is based on the fact that a bunch of people get it and stay asymptomatic - y'know, have no fucking clue that they're contagious - and I'm an arrogant prick for suggesting that they should take on the horrible discomfort and shame of wearing a fucking mask if they're going to be around people.

Once you've been tested and know that you're both not contagious and immune, fuck yeah don't wear a mask, so long as you have a clear way of differentiating yourself from people who just assume that they're immune and non-contagious based on zero individual evidence.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

I'll briefly pass people less than six feet away, because the odds from any one very short pass are very low. But I don't stand next to them and ponder the choices on the shelf if I'm less than six feet away.

With masks, I suspect that improved masks reduce the flux of viral particles at least somewhat. Not enough to make you safe while working in a hospital, but probably reduce the risk from each passing encounter by 50% or so, just based on the fact that a lot of viral particles will adhere to fibers in the mask or back-reflect onto your face and lodge there.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
Kwix

Post by Kwix »

So what I'm seeing is, if you don't know that you have been infected, pretend like you haven't and take personal precautions. Ergo, I'm wearing a mask until such time that I become infected and am no longer contagious. I'm also working from home (because I have that option) and minimizing my trips out (though I'm a homebody so that's not so unusual). My wife is in a risk category so we are extra diligent.

My cousin on the other hand has (most likely) contracted and recovered from it in the last 3 weeks. He'll be one of the great under-reported. He also fortunately didn't stop by the house on his way through town a week and a half ago.
"People are sometimes the answer, but they are ALWAYS the problem." -- Ellie
"I thought during the apocalypse I would be counting ammo rounds instead of toilet paper rolls." --Twba
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

The whole "no proof masks provide any medical benefit" thing reminds me of a point someone made, once: there are no double-blind studies on whether parachutes help if you jump out of a plane.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Highway

Post by Highway »

Eric the .5b wrote: 21 Apr 2020, 19:19 The whole "no proof masks provide any medical benefit" thing reminds me of a point someone made, once: there are no double-blind studies on whether parachutes help if you jump out of a plane.
Heard someone who was anti "liberate" make another simile with parachutes regarding Covid-19: Abandoning social distancing now because we think we might slowed down the rate of cases is like cutting your parachute strings because you felt yourself decelerating.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
Warren

Post by Warren »

Ordered from Amazon 3 AP. Arrived today
Covid-19 Masks.jpg
Covid-19 Masks.jpg (84.8 KiB) Viewed 1518 times
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

I am unimpressed, Warren.

20200413_135641.jpg
20200413_135641.jpg (3.73 MiB) Viewed 1515 times
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Highway wrote: 21 Apr 2020, 20:34
Eric the .5b wrote: 21 Apr 2020, 19:19 The whole "no proof masks provide any medical benefit" thing reminds me of a point someone made, once: there are no double-blind studies on whether parachutes help if you jump out of a plane.
Heard someone who was anti "liberate" make another simile with parachutes regarding Covid-19: Abandoning social distancing now because we think we might slowed down the rate of cases is like cutting your parachute strings because you felt yourself decelerating.
I've used the analogy of throwing away your umbrella during a rainstorm because you didn't get wet.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

This whole "anyone who questions the necessity of PPE when medical professionals are undecided on the matter is some kind of retard or something" thing reminds me of a point someone made once: human-scale events whose outcomes have been repeatedly observed and are easily predicted make terrible analogies for microscopic events which are by their very nature unobservable, especially when those microscopic events involve a pathogen whose nature and transmission are still not well understood, and where testing thereof is sorely lacking. That's why we have clinical trials for the latter and not for the former, and why such analogies are only persuasive to people who can't spare ten seconds to think about it.

And I was like dude there's no way that would fit in a Facebook meme.
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Hugh Akston wrote: 21 Apr 2020, 23:09This whole "anyone who questions the necessity of PPE when medical professionals are undecided on the matter...
Where are the medical professionals working on COVID cases who opt not to wear PPE?

Anyone who can, wears it. Not exactly indecision.

(I mean, one also might say that there's a problem with trying to analogize from the normal course of drug development to how we should proceed in the course of a pandemic that has become the leading cause of death by illness in this country, but how about you just start with that?)
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Eric the .5b wrote: 21 Apr 2020, 23:20
Hugh Akston wrote: 21 Apr 2020, 23:09This whole "anyone who questions the necessity of PPE when medical professionals are undecided on the matter...
Where are the medical professionals working on COVID cases who opt not to wear PPE?

Anyone who can, does. Not exactly indecision.
You're right, I should have specified that I was referring to healthy people wearing PPE in public and specifically not to healthcare workers in clinical settings as I have done every time I have mentioned it and as we have been discussing this whole time. My fault for assuming people understand context. My fault for assuming accumulated memory. My fault for assuming good faith. I've been posting at grylliade.org long enough to know better.
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Hugh Akston wrote: 21 Apr 2020, 23:26
Eric the .5b wrote: 21 Apr 2020, 23:20

Anyone who can, does. Not exactly indecision.
You're right, I should have specified that I was referring to healthy people wearing PPE in public
Clearly unnecessary. It's not like the world in general fails to keep track of everything someone says, or that anyone outside of Grylliade ever misunderstands misleading remarks.

Now, do you have sources for this "indecision" beyond "lol the WHO said one thing and DOHHS said something different weeks apart"?
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Hugh Akston wrote: 21 Apr 2020, 23:26 You're right, I should have specified that I was referring to healthy people wearing PPE in public
Except that with this virus, one can look and feel perfectly healthy, yet still be infected and contagious because either they're asymptomatic, or their symptoms haven't kicked in yet.
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Jennifer wrote: 22 Apr 2020, 03:21
Hugh Akston wrote: 21 Apr 2020, 23:26 You're right, I should have specified that I was referring to healthy people wearing PPE in public
Except that with this virus, one can look and feel perfectly healthy, yet still be infected and contagious because either they're asymptomatic, or their symptoms haven't kicked in yet.
They feel fine. That's all that matters.

(And the smaller degree of protection a mask provides to the wearer than to other people doesn't matter, because marginal issues are never important.)
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

I'm not going to lie, hugh. I usually dont understand anything you write that isn't a directed short remark. All of your posts kind of drip with despair and sarcasm. I'm never sure if I get your meaning or if I'm missing your meaning entirely.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Hugh's retorts are so wry that they sometimes cause hallucinations.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Ghats pretty metal, jasper.

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

It is Earth Day today and Mother Earth is once again trying to kill us.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Aresen wrote: 22 Apr 2020, 11:01 It is Earth Day today and Mother Earth is once again trying to kill us.
We have always been at war with Eastasia Nature.
Warren

Post by Warren »

Nature Mr. Allnut, is what we are put in this world to rise above.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT