Random covid-19 observations

thoreau

Re: Random covid-19 observations

Post by thoreau »

I'd settle for a lower-tier Canadian university.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

thoreau wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 20:52 I'd settle for a lower-tier Canadian university.
How's your French?
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 20:56
thoreau wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 20:52 I'd settle for a lower-tier Canadian university.
How's your French?
Merde.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

thoreau wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 20:58
D.A. Ridgely wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 20:56
How's your French?
Merde.
Tant pis.
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Mo wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 18:41 We were at the park playing with the boys today and an NHS nurse walking her dog yelled at us (and presumably others) to go home.
If she's so concerned, what the fuck is she doing outside? Lead by example, you miserable old bag.
D.A. Ridgely wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 21:07
D.A. Ridgely wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 20:56 How's your French?
Merde.
Tant pis.
Taint piss! :D
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD
Twba

Post by Twba »

Mo wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 18:41 We were at the park playing with the boys today and an NHS nurse walking her dog yelled at us (and presumably others) to go home. This really pissed me off because as far as I saw everyone was engaging in proper social distancing, there were no play dates or people that were not in a family unit hanging out. It was basically an ideal situation as far as these things go. It pissed me off because of you force everyone to stay inside all the time, people will break and you’ll get people just blowing off the rules. You need some way to safely blow off steam and if you kill those opportunities people will engage in unsafe behavior in the medium term.
Karens have to Karen.

Sky News had a segment today featuring a copper using a bullhorn to clear a park of people doing no harm. Or maybe the guy sitting in the sun in the middle of the park really was undermining society. I thought he was making vitamin D which is a good thing.
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

thoreau wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 19:25 I've spent the 21st century developing more and more sympathy for constitutional monarchy. I'm all in, now.
On the one hand, maybe we can just make her queen of Earth?

On the other hand...Boris Johnson.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Mo

Post by Mo »

Ellie wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 21:53
Mo wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 18:41 We were at the park playing with the boys today and an NHS nurse walking her dog yelled at us (and presumably others) to go home.
If she's so concerned, what the fuck is she doing outside? Lead by example, you miserable old bag.
Merde.
Tant pis.
She was walking her dog. And the thing is the actual police were cruising the park to cal people out. We don’t need freelancers doing the same.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Slip inside a sleeping bag.
nicole

Post by nicole »

Jennifer wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 17:03 I was just going through the big box of long-hair accessories which I either don't use anymore, or never used, and I have a LOT of ponytail-band and other elastic stretchy-things, ranging in size from "a circle barely an inch in diameter" all the way to "headband/hairbands big enough to fit completely around my head." I'll bet there's some way these can be useful for making makeshift face masks, but I haven't yet figured out exactly how to do this.
Several of the no-sew mask folding patterns use hair ties
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
Warren

Post by Warren »

dbcooper wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 06:45
HA!
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Warren wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 13:04
HA!
Don't need to hear the accent to know that sure as hell isn't in the U.S.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
Warren

Post by Warren »

dead_elvis wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 13:41
HA!
Right? I was gonna say "Wish he was ours".
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Heist movie idea:

Cops pull over a truck hauling N95 masks, gloves, etc. They tell the driver that the Governor has just issued an order allowing them to confiscate the masks for public health use. The driver acts fishy, so the cops rough him up.

Cops turn out to be dirty (even by cop standards) and have a plan to sell the gear on the black market.

The guy moving the shipment discovers that drugs are stashed among the masks because those shipments are getting fast-tracked through the border. The guy calls the cops, tell them he's just used to the small-time and this is high-level cartel shit. Cops realize they have to go to the desert and find the driver that they roughed up and pray he's still alive. They find him, find out who they crossed. They have to come up with a plan to return the shipment to the cartel and beg for forgiveness. Meanwhile, National Guard is pursuing the truck because the Governor really did issue an order to seize all medical supplies. Things get desperate, with small-time crooks caught between National Guard, cartel, and their originally intended buyer.

The ending is bloody.
--Mo
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

thoreau wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 14:39 Heist movie idea:

Cops pull over a truck hauling N95 masks, gloves, etc. They tell the driver that the Governor has just issued an order allowing them to confiscate the masks for public health use. The driver acts fishy, so the cops rough him up.

Cops turn out to be dirty (even by cop standards) and have a plan to sell the gear on the black market.

The guy moving the shipment discovers that drugs are stashed among the masks because those shipments are getting fast-tracked through the border. The guy calls the cops, tell them he's just used to the small-time and this is high-level cartel shit. Cops realize they have to go to the desert and find the driver that they roughed up and pray he's still alive. They find him, find out who they crossed. They have to come up with a plan to return the shipment to the cartel and beg for forgiveness. Meanwhile, National Guard is pursuing the truck because the Governor really did issue an order to seize all medical supplies. Things get desperate, with small-time crooks caught between National Guard, cartel, and their originally intended buyer.

The ending is bloody.
The real head of the cartel is the Governor, right?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Merde.
Tant pis.
I hate when that happens.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Jasper wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 15:37
Merde.
Tant pis.
I hate when that happens.
Bidet bro.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

dead_elvis wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 13:41
HA!
Yeah, there's an English cop on another forum I follow who has a thread where he talks about his job. He's all, "I had a fellow who turned out to have schizophrenia and was going through a severe crisis, and so I spent half the night sitting with him, talking with him, and trying to arrange him help. But I'm frustrated that he can't get proper help from the NHS and that surveys show mental patients in crisis feel the police care more about them than their social workers." I think of how many people in situations like that get shot by cops in the US, and I boggle.

On the other hand, this guy may just be a traffic meter person and not a police officer. I'm pretty sure even a Brit police officer wouldn't blow off that clear threat of violence at the end (and I wouldn't say they should have to).
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

That is fucking dark and I love it.

(Technically, it's more of a neo-noir movie.)
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

nicole wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 07:00
Jennifer wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 17:03 I was just going through the big box of long-hair accessories which I either don't use anymore, or never used, and I have a LOT of ponytail-band and other elastic stretchy-things, ranging in size from "a circle barely an inch in diameter" all the way to "headband/hairbands big enough to fit completely around my head." I'll bet there's some way these can be useful for making makeshift face masks, but I haven't yet figured out exactly how to do this.
Several of the no-sew mask folding patterns use hair ties
Yeah, I've seen video tutorials where they had a bandana plus two hair elastics in a size I have plenty of (many of the metal-free "ouchless" variety, too), and fold everything together just so. But Jeff and I don't have actual bandanas, or at least we can't find them (remember, we still have a LOT of our individual worldly possessions in boxes we've not looked in since we packed them in Virginia); what we have now are some cloth pieces Jeff cut from the backs of certain old shirts in the rag bag. And a couple pullover masks he cut from the sleeves of old t-shirts, like so:

A couple days ago he ordered cloth masks from a couple different companies or people who make them, but has no idea when they'll arrive. We still have over two dozen unused paper disposable masks in the meantime, though. Haven't actually done anything with the cloth pieces yet, but neither of us have actually left the house in several days (except to toss out garbage). Jeff has to go in to work tomorrow, though; yesterday and today he stayed home but was on call.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Shem

Post by Shem »

The ending is bloody.
I feel like it'd work better as a farce, a la "It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World."
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Shem wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 18:14 I feel like it'd work better as a farce, a la "It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World."
But we're living in a farce.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

There's a bit of personal irony in that, ever since I moved to Georgia I've made a near-fetish out of altering my everyday wardrobe to completely expunge certain humidity/moisture-retaining fabrics like cotton or polyester ... and now I can only go out wearing gloves made of vinyl.

However: I recently discovered a boxful of winter accessories from Connecticut, which includes LOTS of pairs of gloves -- mostly semi-stretchy yarn gloves but also a few pairs of waterproof insulated gloves. I'm wondering if, next time I have to go out food shopping, actual winter gloves would be less uncomfortable than vinyl ones? I could still apply sanitizer before handling things like the shopping cart or various cans and jars, so presumably there'd be the same protective effect.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b