Random covid-19 observations

JasonL

Re: Random covid-19 observations

Post by JasonL »

It's way past haircut time and I have layers to manage my copious cowlicks and I'm screwed.
Highway

Post by Highway »

I've been growing my hair out for over a year, so am reading all of the people worried about their haircuts with some amusement. Gonna have a lot of people coming out of the stay-at-home looking like Japanese high school baseball players. ;)
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

There's been various predictions, serious or not, to the effect of "Expect to see a baby boom in nine months, from all those people quarantined together with nothing else to do, heh heh heh." But I actually wonder if the reverse might happen -- a mini-baby bust -- due to the many people who either live alone or with non-sexual roommates: under ordinary circumstances they'd be going out on dates and other things, but for the duration of the quarantine they are all celibate.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Mo

Post by Mo »

Interesting that there has been quite a bit of crowing from the right that no one trusts the “media” (which always excludes Fox for some reason) in the age of coronavirus. However, is looks like people have been going to MSM sites for information in the age of corona, while Fox’s traffic bump is similar to that of Infowars and Breitbart and Daily Caller have seen no bump despite people spending way more time on the Internet.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... &smtyp=cur
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
nicole

Post by nicole »

At first I was annoyed with myself that I had failed to get a haircut as planned in Jan/Feb but then I was relieved because I had been planning to get a very short (and therefore high-maintenance cut).
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

For nicole: The Parents Are Not All Right
This cannot be solved by tweaks to the schedule, helpful routines, and virtual activities. We have to collectively recognize that parents — and any caregivers right now — have less to give at work. A lot less. The assumptions seem to be that parents have “settled into a routine” and “are doing okay now.”
It exposes everything from the lack of paid sick leave and parental leave to the fact that the school day ends at 3 p.m. when the typical workday goes several hours longer — yet aftercare is not universally available. And that says nothing of our need for universal health care, irrespective of employment. Parents pour endless energy into solving for systems that don’t make sense and don’t work.
It’s always been a farce to think about caretaking and family responsibilities as “personal life decisions” that get handled outside of work hours. From getting kids to pediatrician appointments to the onslaught of sick days when cold season hits to school closures and parent-teacher conferences. In my son’s first year of day care, I didn’t work a full week for months. Yet we just hide it better and make it work. And again, “making it work” is only true for those with the most privilege among us.
tl;dr parenthood is not a personal life decision and cannot be accomplished without outsourcing and it's on y'all to support parents socially for a change.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
nicole

Post by nicole »

But don't you dare complain that schools are just free babysitting services to subsidize people's life choices.

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
Warren

Post by Warren »

Highway wrote: 08 Apr 2020, 10:40 I've been growing my hair out for over a year, so am reading all of the people worried about their haircuts with some amusement. Gonna have a lot of people coming out of the stay-at-home looking like Japanese high school baseball players. ;)
It's bothering me because I wear a CPAP harness at night and the weather is getting warmer. Those thing make for uncomfortable tangled hair that can cause me to tear my mask off in the night. Fucking sleep apnea is no joke.
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I've been organizing my home, including unpacking certain boxes which have been sealed since we moved here almost four years ago. Of course I've been having several pleasant instances of "Oh, cool, I forgot I had this!" ... but what's surprising me is how many times I'm getting "Huh, I never forgot about owning this ... but how the HELL did I not notice that I haven't personally seen or handled it for almost four years now?"
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Warren wrote: 08 Apr 2020, 15:16
Highway wrote: 08 Apr 2020, 10:40 I've been growing my hair out for over a year, so am reading all of the people worried about their haircuts with some amusement. Gonna have a lot of people coming out of the stay-at-home looking like Japanese high school baseball players. ;)
It's bothering me because I wear a CPAP harness at night and the weather is getting warmer. Those thing make for uncomfortable tangled hair that can cause me to tear my mask off in the night. Fucking sleep apnea is no joke.
We went from Age of Conference Calls with Haircuts, to Age of Video Required Zoom without Haircuts. Also, when I go to the office everyone recognizes that it's a stupid imposition to have "themes" or dress up or whatever days. Somehow in the world of zoom I'm supposed to dig up a "wacky hat" or some sht. I hate playing dress up.
nicole

Post by nicole »

One of us! One of us!

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

I'd been kinda vaguely toying with the idea of growing my hair actually-out for the past year. Now I guess I'm doing it, at least for a few months.

See if we can get past the awkward-jewfro stage before I have shit to do again.
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

#baldprivilege
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Twba

Post by Twba »

JasonL wrote: 08 Apr 2020, 15:53
Warren wrote: 08 Apr 2020, 15:16
We went from Age of Conference Calls with Haircuts, to Age of Video Required Zoom without Haircuts. Also, when I go to the office everyone recognizes that it's a stupid imposition to have "themes" or dress up or whatever days. Somehow in the world of zoom I'm supposed to dig up a "wacky hat" or some sht. I hate playing dress up.
Without those "themes" morale will collapse. For instance, imagine how I and my team would feel right now if we had not been in a limited access area wearing our glasses, gloves and hi-vis vests, when my boss strolled in wearing just Easter bunny pajamas. I can't share a photo of the moment due to some NDA I signed when hired. As much as I want to include you in this team building experience, I don't really want to lose my job just yet. I assume your imagination can recreate the smirks on our faces as he walked right past the sign warning to not enter without proper PPE.
Mo

Post by Mo »

Thank god our VPN is so strained that people avoid video calls
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
Kwix

Post by Kwix »

Twba wrote: 01 Apr 2020, 12:22 I thought during the apocalypse I would be counting ammo rounds instead of toilet paper rolls.
CSTSSS

Also, though you've probably mentioned it elsewhere, what is Twba? Not related to TMBG I presume?
"People are sometimes the answer, but they are ALWAYS the problem." -- Ellie
"I thought during the apocalypse I would be counting ammo rounds instead of toilet paper rolls." --Twba
Kwix

Post by Kwix »

Wait, is this a thing? Guess I never realized it; I haven't "cut" my hair in 28 years.
"I thought during the apocalypse I would be counting ammo rounds instead of toilet paper rolls." --Twba
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

If you are looking for a distraction, Geoguessr is a lot of fun.

You get dropped in a location on google streetview, and then try to find the closest spot on the map to your location. You can move around to narrow it down.

https://www.geoguessr.com/
Slip inside a sleeping bag.
Kwix

Post by Kwix »

Okay, last post in this thread tonight addressing various things:
Warren wrote:On my last supply run I discovered that the local quilting bee has turned to making face masks.
So, what where you doing that interacted with the local bee? My wife's sewing some masks for us and others as an aside.
shem wrote:I signed up for Informed Delivery when we had some mail theft issues. Every day I get an email with a scan of the mail I'll be receiving that day, plus a note about any packages.
Never knew this was an option. Give USPS abysmal tracking options I'm not sure how well it'll work.
Eric .5b wrote:On the other hand...Boris Johnson.
Irony.....
Warren

Post by Warren »

Kwix wrote: 09 Apr 2020, 05:38
Warren wrote:On my last supply run I discovered that the local quilting bee has turned to making face masks.
So, what where you doing that interacted with the local bee? My wife's sewing some masks for us and others as an aside.
A member was in the check-out lane ahead of me making chit chat at the register while we patiently waited six feet apart.
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

JasonL wrote: 08 Apr 2020, 09:13 It's way past haircut time and I have layers to manage my copious cowlicks and I'm screwed.
Yeah, I was due two weeks ago when all "non essential" stuff closed down here. I'm very tempted to try and convince my wife to give me a quarantine buzzcut using my beard trimmer. I dug out all the plastic attachments for different lengths last night. :shock:
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex
Warren

Post by Warren »

Jasper wrote: 09 Apr 2020, 08:38 Yeah, I was due two weeks ago when all "non essential" stuff closed down here.
I was due a month before that, but put it off because winter.
Jasper wrote: 09 Apr 2020, 08:38 I'm very tempted to try and convince my wife to give me a quarantine buzzcut using my beard trimmer. I dug out all the plastic attachments for different lengths last night.
I've decided to go the duration. I haven't grown my hair out since my 30's
Highway

Post by Highway »

My hair is down mid-shoulderblade on my back now, but I wouldn't mind it a lot longer. :)
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

My hair's already at or near its genetically predetermined maximum length, so no worries there for me. But I am annoyed by the fact that, only a couple weeks before everything changed, I mentioned to Jeff that I really, REALLY need to visit an optometrist for an eye exam, since I suspect my current prescription is a bit out of date. And at this point, who the heck knows when this-all will be over.
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

I've always had unmanageable, kinky hair made even worse by having been very thick until I started to bald, so I actually welcomed baldness. It gave me an excuse to take clippers to the rest of my hair. I can't recall my last commercial haircut.