Random covid-19 observations

Hugh Akston

Re: Random covid-19 observations

Post by Hugh Akston »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 09 Apr 2020, 12:34 I've always had unmanageable, kinky hair made even worse by having been very thick until I started to bald, so I actually welcomed baldness. It gave me an excuse to take clippers to the rest of my hair. I can't recall my last commercial haircut.
This was my experience but instead of kinky it was dry and bushy.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Kinky is generally preferable to dry and bushy.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

I'm starting to hit "vaguely need a haircut" lengths. On the other hand, everything work-related has been plain old phone calls. (Aside from my using Google Voice for some of them, because fuck if I'm giving any client my mobile number. Back when I had a listed home phone, I had a client look me up and leave messages there. Fuck that.)

I did have a nice video call with my mother last night, as we realized that we could do that.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I wonder if, when things return to normal, there will be certain common hairstyle preferences specifically related to covid-19 -- either "the overall 'look' calls for super-easy low-maintenance styles where it doesn't matter overmuch if you can't get to a barber/salon" ... or, conversely, "People overwhelmingly adopt high-maintenance styles that require frequent touchups and maintenance, precisely because they can?"
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Jeff and I went grocery shopping yesterday -- my first time going anywhere in WELL over a week. There's a Dollar Tree in the same strip mall as the grocery, and when we got there I told Jeff I wanted to stop at DT first, because I needed certain organizational-type things (plastic bins/boxes/trays, and metal/wire shelving units) for my various home-organizing projects. So Jeff went into the grocery while I continued on to the dollar store, bought some things, then doubled back to Kroger (which has made some changes for the duration: now, you can enter through ONE and ONLY ONE of the many available doors -- all others were marked exit-only, and with guards to enforce this). When I got inside I walked slowly across the front of the store (all while playing "Pac-Man avoiding the ghosts" with the other customers), glancing down each aisle to see if Jeff was there.

About halfway through the store, I finally saw Jeff at the other end of an aisle, moving something from a shelf to his cart. I waved to catch his attention, made my swerving six-foot-avoidance way down the aisle of almost-empty shelves to where he was ... and only a minute or two later, when we were in the sparsely stocked pasta-and-sauce aisle and I took two of the four remaining jars of a certain flavor and brand I like, did I realize: "It's not even been a full month yet, and I'm already so accustomed to grocery stores having empty or almost-empty aisles that, while I noticed 'This aisle is almost empty,' I didn't even bother noting what type of item it held, or what specifically is depleted today." (I did note, however, that the store's paper aisle was completely empty, at around 2:30 on a Thursday afternoon, despite having received delivery that morning, and also despite the posted signs saying that ALL purchases of paper products were limited to one per customer.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

C19 has changed one behavior for me: I am now buying groceries with plastic because most stores/cashiers REALLY don't want cash (can't say I blame them).

Not sure if this will be a permanent behavioural change on my part or not. I always paid cash to force a budget on myself.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I still pay with cash but -- for politeness purposes, and hopefully to make the cashiers a tiny bit less unhappy -- I make a little production out of putting hand sanitizer on my gloves just before handing the money over.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Something I'm wondering about masks -- ordinary surgical masks or DIY face masks, not the specialized N95 mask that actually filters out viruses and other super-tiny dangers -- wearing a non-N95 mask is something you do to potentially protect others, rather than yourself: the idea being that if you're infected and contagious but don't realize it, keeping your mouth and nose covered will protect others from the virus you're shedding every time you exhale, but that paper or cloth mask will do nothing to protect you if, for example, some contagious person coughs in your face.

I've also read that if you are re-using non-N95 masks, you must make sure they are sterilized between uses. But -- assuming a mask is only used or touched by the one person -- why exactly is this necessary? Take, for example, the paper surgical mask I've been using -- technically a disposable one, only I have been saving and re-using it because I doubt I'll be able to buy more when my very limited supply of disposable masks is gone -- when I get home from an outing, I put the mask in its own little open-top plastic box by a window where it sits in full sunlight all day. (Note: I have NOT been suffering from a runny nose or any other conditions which result in icky substances getting on the mask. If I did, then I'd throw it out when I got home -- assuming I'd go out with a runny nose or other cold symptoms in the first place.)

But suppose I am infected and contagious, though unaware of this because I'm completely asymptomatic and Jeff apparently is too. I've been contagious for well over a week now, long enough to ensure I was contagious for my last three outings: a grocery store trip 7+ days ago, and two store outings in the past two days. I have worn the same paper mask for all three trips. Presumably, after my first trip over a week ago, the mask spent enough time sitting alone in its sunny little box that any viruses on it died. So when I wore the mask to the store on Thursday, it gave my fellow shoppers as much protection as a new, fresh-from-packaging mask would have.

Then I wore the mask again yesterday -- presumably crawling with virus when I put it on, but I obviously don't need to worry about getting infected because I already am. Where my fellow shoppers were concerned --- as usual I did my bit to stay six feet away, and as usual there was at least one idiot who refused to allow it, to the point where, when I stood in line to pay, I had to hold out my gloved arm in a warding-off gesture and tell a certain idiotic woman (in a voice calculated to carry) "Ma'am, I'm trying to maintain six feet of distance and you're making that impossible. Please move away" -- but even that dimbulb "only" got to within a couple feet of me, and we never made any physical contact. So, was that woman and her family yesterday in any more danger from me in my used paper mask, compared to if I'd worn a fresh mask just out of its sterile wrapping? And how much danger was she in, compared to if I'd not worn a mask at all?
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

I will never understand people who prefer cash as a medium. I know it's a thing but i do not get it in any way.
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

It's just easier for me to budget my week with cash. I don't use the card except for gas. Super easy to track everything when using cash. See where it's going. Change as needed. Plus that horrible feeling of what exactly you have spent when it hasn't posted to your account yet ... yeah I don't like that feeling.

Shorter me: Fuck everyone else yo!
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
nicole

Post by nicole »

The mask does partially protect you, not just others, and you could have virus on the outside of the mask that you would then touch.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
Mo

Post by Mo »

Seeing economists complain about the quality of epidemiological predictions is a hoot.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
Mo

Post by Mo »

Though the IHME are fucked up because the very near future has larger error bars than further out. That seems super backwards.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Mo wrote: 12 Apr 2020, 11:54 Though the IHME are fucked up because the very near future has larger error bars than further out. That seems super backwards.
In the long run, we are all dead. -> very low error bar on that model.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Kolohe wrote: 12 Apr 2020, 13:00
Mo wrote: 12 Apr 2020, 11:54 Though the IHME are fucked up because the very near future has larger error bars than further out. That seems super backwards.
Keynesian Epidemiology?
Warren

Post by Warren »

Kolohe wrote: 12 Apr 2020, 13:00
Piffle!
Past performance does not indicate future results.
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Jennifer wrote: 11 Apr 2020, 14:39 ... the paper surgical mask I've been using -- technically a disposable one, only I have been saving and re-using it because I doubt I'll be able to buy more when my very limited supply of disposable masks is gone -- when I get home from an outing, I put the mask in its own little open-top plastic box by a window where it sits in full sunlight all day. ...
Well-duh, Captain Obvious insight: I added a second disposable mask to the rotation, kept in its own separate open-top plastic box in a completely different shape and color from the first one so it's easy to tell them apart.
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

We are hiring 2,000 heads driven by new account growth.
Warren

Post by Warren »

JasonL wrote: 13 Apr 2020, 11:10 We are hiring 2,000 heads driven by new account growth.
I would not have guessed that.
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
Painboy

Post by Painboy »

Mo wrote: 12 Apr 2020, 10:57 Seeing economists complain about the quality of epidemiological predictions is a hoot.
As the expression goes, don't try to hustle a hustler.
Mo

Post by Mo »

This article confuses me.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/08/doc ... -covid-19/

Particularly this line, “ What’s driving this reassessment is a baffling observation about Covid-19: Many patients have blood oxygen levels so low they should be dead. But they’re not gasping for air, their hearts aren’t racing, and their brains show no signs of blinking off from lack of oxygen.” I thought that was because the signal that you’re suffocating isn’t lack of oxygen, but too much CO2. Hence the idea that N2 executions are a humane way of killing people.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Warren wrote: 09 Apr 2020, 09:27
Jasper wrote: 09 Apr 2020, 08:38 Yeah, I was due two weeks ago when all "non essential" stuff closed down here.
I was due a month before that, but put it off because winter.
Jasper wrote: 09 Apr 2020, 08:38 I'm very tempted to try and convince my wife to give me a quarantine buzzcut using my beard trimmer. I dug out all the plastic attachments for different lengths last night.
I've decided to go the duration. I haven't grown my hair out since my 30's
I chickened out this past weekend. We'll see how it goes. Current non-essential services are closed until May 20 here in CT, and I'm not sure I can go another month.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex
JD

Post by JD »

I have been trimming my beard a bit, but not my hair. I've been considering letting it grow out just for the hell of it, but given my baldness, "aging hippie" is about the best look I can hope for.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Who wants to tell her?

" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo