Random covid-19 observations

Warren

Re: Random covid-19 observations

Post by Warren »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 23:33 Redacted because my temper tantrum is done now.

Awww. I missed it. :(
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Basically it was about how all these mask and covid truthers are big brain thinkers. And you cant even disagree politely because they are just stupid joe average conspiracy theorists who desperately want to believe they have secret knowledge. My brother pissed me off.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
Warren

Post by Warren »

Seems like that should be a self correcting problem ala Trump & Co.
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 23:33 Redacted because my temper tantrum is done now.
But it was a truly glorious rant. I loved it.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

I've added https://thezvi.wordpress.com to my daily/weekly COVID-19 roundup. Interested to see what people here think about his analyses.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Aresen wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 10:44
But it was a truly glorious rant. I loved it.
As did I.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

tenor.gif
tenor.gif (6.06 MiB) Viewed 853 times
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

dead_elvis wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 16:09tenor.gif
Indeed you did.

The polite tl;dr version is "I, Pham, am bemused to note by the discrepancy 'twixt the actual revealed intelligence of covid-denying mask-eschewers, versus the level of intelligence they personally claim to have."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Even shorter tl;dr

My brother is an idiot.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 22:29 Even shorter tl;dr

My brother is an idiot.
I'd give sympathy because so's mine, but he's not playing in the anti-masker league.

Mostly in the thought it would be a good idea to own a cockatiel league. Gotta admit the feathery little fuckhead was charming when he wasn't trying to blow out your eardrums or humping your hand. (the bird, not the brother)
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
nicole

Post by nicole »

Democrats fucking love science

I checked and it’s accurate
https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... ity-metric
https://healthyplacesindex.org/about/
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Jesus Fucking Christ.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
Warren

Post by Warren »

nicole wrote: 05 Oct 2020, 15:04 Democrats fucking love science

Voter turnout is not mentioned in either of those two links.
nicole

Post by nicole »

Warren wrote: 05 Oct 2020, 15:35

Voting in 2012 is one of the social indicators included in the Healthy Places Index. See the graphic.

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
nicole

Post by nicole »

They're not sending their best

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

From the HPI website, in the "About" section:
What’s not included?

Data sources included in the Healthy Places Index are 1) publicly available, 2) up –to-date at a neighborhood (census tract) level 3) available statewide in California and 4) actionable by policy and other action, and 5) demonstrably linked/correlated with life expectancy.

There are many neighborhood characteristics that are critical to health that were not included in HPI because they did not meet the criteria for inclusion. As an example, we know social cohesion, community power, inclusion/exclusion are fundamental to good health, but at this time there are not adequate data to measure these characteristics at the neighborhood level. Where possible, we have included proxy measures—such as “voting” and “two parent households" under the social policy action area, which may be correlated with a sense of community efficacy in making change. When and where possible, we hope to include more nuanced measures as they become available.
I suspected that this is what was going on, but I was expecting a little more confidence, like "is correlated" rather than "may", which is pretty weak sauce. Still, anecdotally, playing around with the map itself broadly bears it out.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
Warren

Post by Warren »

nicole wrote: 05 Oct 2020, 15:43
Warren wrote: 05 Oct 2020, 15:35

Voting in 2012 is one of the social indicators included in the Healthy Places Index. See the graphic.
Ah. It's one of over two dozen factors, and is included because
There are many neighborhood characteristics that are critical to health that were not included in HPI because they did not meet the criteria for inclusion. As an example, we know social cohesion, community power, inclusion/exclusion are fundamental to good health, but at this time there are not adequate data to measure these characteristics at the neighborhood level. Where possible, we have included proxy measures—such as “voting” and “two parent households under the social policy action area, which may be correlated with a sense of community efficacy in making change. When and where possible, we hope to include more nuanced measures as they become available.
I'll grant that "may be correlated" is not a phrase that inspires confidence.
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

This is precisely why census forms belong in the trash.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Shem

Post by Shem »

Hugh Akston wrote: 05 Oct 2020, 17:12 This is precisely why census forms belong in the trash.
The ones that don't ask if you vote?
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

I’m sorta kinda gonna defend what they’re doing here a bit because “counties” in California are a ridiculous level of the political unit with which to do this kind of analysis and make these decisions. I.e there are 12-13 states that don’t have as many people as San Bernardino county.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

If covid works on Trump's body at roughly the same rate it did for Herman Cain, this means Trump will die only a day or two before the election. Nothing remotely like that has happened in all of American history. So WTF would occur if it DID?

I am taking for granted that Trump is in far worse shape than he and his spineless doctors are letting on. Maybe he'll pull through this thing -- unlike Cain, Trump has the advantage of literally the best medical care on the planet, AND some experimental covid drugs which Cain did not have -- but Trump still has at least three factors against him, where covid is concerned: male, elderly, and with enough body fat to be clinically obese. (Granted, the first two also applied to Cain.)

And a fourth factor: his pride and ego drive him to do insanely stupid stunts like his "Mussolini on the balcony" pose from yesterday -- I don't have the trained eye of a physician or even a nurse's aide, but I could still see he was engaged in that "full-body breathing" (not the actual medical term -- I forget what it is) -- his lungs alone weren't up to the task, so he was using his shoulders and his chest muscles and basically had his entire upper body working toward the goal of sucking in oxygen. People with healthy functional lungs don't do that.
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Does anyone know if the 'experimental' drugs given Trump are available to other patients? Are they covered by the average insurance policy?

(For reference: Canadian Medicare often will not pay for drugs they deem 'experimental'. There are frequent controversies surrounding such cases, which range from laetrile treatments to real treatments that have not finished clinical trials.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

Jennifer wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 17:53 If covid works on Trump's body at roughly the same rate it did for Herman Cain, this means Trump will die only a day or two before the election. Nothing remotely like that has happened in all of American history. So WTF would occur if it DID?

I am taking for granted that Trump is in far worse shape than he and his spineless doctors are letting on. Maybe he'll pull through this thing -- unlike Cain, Trump has the advantage of literally the best medical care on the planet, AND some experimental covid drugs which Cain did not have -- but Trump still has at least three factors against him, where covid is concerned: male, elderly, and with enough body fat to be clinically obese. (Granted, the first two also applied to Cain.)

And a fourth factor: his pride and ego drive him to do insanely stupid stunts like his "Mussolini on the balcony" pose from yesterday -- I don't have the trained eye of a physician or even a nurse's aide, but I could still see he was engaged in that "full-body breathing" (not the actual medical term -- I forget what it is) -- his lungs alone weren't up to the task, so he was using his shoulders and his chest muscles and basically had his entire upper body working toward the goal of sucking in oxygen. People with healthy functional lungs don't do that.
There are several terms that can be applied to that, depending on exactly what they’re doing, but accessory muscle use covers the gamut.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Jennifer wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 17:53 And a fourth factor: his pride and ego drive him to do insanely stupid stunts like his "Mussolini on the balcony" pose from yesterday
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Number 6 wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 18:05
Jennifer wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 17:53 If covid works on Trump's body at roughly the same rate it did for Herman Cain, this means Trump will die only a day or two before the election. Nothing remotely like that has happened in all of American history. So WTF would occur if it DID?

There are several terms that can be applied to that, depending on exactly what they’re doing, but accessory muscle use covers the gamut.
Thanks. That is the phrase I was thinking of.

I don't mean to put you on the spot here, but if you don't mind me asking: as an EMT, someone whose job entails a high level of looking at people and making on-the-spot decisions like "Leave him here or take him to a hospital? If the latter, what do we do to or for him on the way there?" and the like -- what did you think of his breathing and body language/muscle exertions in that balcony stunt? If you and your colleagues answered a 911 call and found someone breathing that way, what would your training and experience lead you to conclude?