Worthwhile intertubez finds

Warren

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Warren »

Mo wrote: 09 Jul 2020, 08:20 It's not like the EU doesn't have high levels of environmental and safety regulations or have a higher willingness to let construction workers die and their costs are more than an order of magnitude less.
From what I've seen, EU environmental and safety regs are treated like the posted speed limit is here.
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Mo wrote: 09 Jul 2020, 09:07 The problem is that NYC has at least 5 government entities to deal with, NYC, NYS, NJ, MTA and the Feds. So, aside from the Feds (which are relatively not corrupt) you have 4 layers of graft to deal with. That’s a lot of people and friends to bribe.

The feds - specifically the Obama Administration National Park Service - sat on a required action item for building an infill metro station in Alexandria Virginia for almost two years. (where the land was previously in a massive rail yard, but also next to the George Washington parkway, and the main thing wasn’t the estuary water quality, but the view shed.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
Mo

Post by Mo »

I said ‘relatively not corrupt’, not ‘relatively not incompetent’
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
Warren

Post by Warren »

I'm sure I've mentioned the great Claude Shannon around here a few times. But I knew nothing of his wife Mary Elizabeth “Betty” Moore.
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
JD

Post by JD »

In 1970, there was a homicide on the remote scientific station T-3, located on an iceberg in the Arctic Ocean. (The homicide was sparked by the theft of a bottle of hooch.) The question of jurisdiction arose, because nobody could find law that really described it. It wasn't on any nation's land, it wasn't on a ship or otherwise in navigable waters, and while the base was run by the US military, the defendant was a civilian. In the end, the case was tried in US federal court, mostly because nobody was sure how else exactly to handle it.

And, for special bonus points, the case actually featured a gun that went off when lightly bumped!

https://slate.com/technology/2020/07/ar ... space.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-3_case
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

The Problem With ‘Anti-Racist’ Movie Lists
Indeed, the very idea that Black film’s greatest purpose is to be an educational primer on race in America is a notion that we need to lay to rest.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
JD

Post by JD »

The Gallery of Soviet Control Panels: http://blog.presentandcorrect.com/27986-2
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

JD wrote: 04 Aug 2020, 14:41 The Gallery of Soviet Control Panels: http://blog.presentandcorrect.com/27986-2
Man the point of sale system at the Moscow McDonalds was fuckin' hardcore.

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

lunchstealer wrote: 04 Aug 2020, 16:06
JD wrote: 04 Aug 2020, 14:41 The Gallery of Soviet Control Panels: http://blog.presentandcorrect.com/27986-2
Man the point of sale system at the Moscow McDonalds was fuckin' hardcore.
or: "Dammit, just when I get it to sound exactly like Keith Emerson's moog someone fiddles with a knob and won't tell me which one"
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
Highway

Post by Highway »

The UX of LEGO Interface Panels - interesting article more about general user interface / experience but using LEGO consoles as a starting point.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
Painboy

Post by Painboy »

Highway wrote: 15 Aug 2020, 12:01 The UX of LEGO Interface Panels - interesting article more about general user interface / experience but using LEGO consoles as a starting point.
Somewhat related to that is an article I read recently on how Sci-Fi movies have often contributed to bad UI design.
Why Sci-Fi Is Bad for Design
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Awesome, we are definitely going to take a stab at that, looks delish.

My only complaint is that yet again someone treats gaminess as something to get rid of instead of simply an inherent flavor component of certain meats.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

dead_elvis wrote: 26 Aug 2020, 14:33
Awesome, we are definitely going to take a stab at that, looks delish.

My only complaint is that yet again someone treats gaminess as something to get rid of instead of simply an inherent flavor component of certain meats.
I might cook it when I run my Gilgamesh cyberpunk game. The gods are corporate overlords in high skyscrapers with unbelievable tech, kings are ground-level gang bosses, and the players are exploring the Cedar Forest of Lebanon after a biker gang led by Gilgamesh and Enkidu took our the mutant beast Humbaba. What was Humbaba actually guarding?
--Mo
Warren

Post by Warren »

dead_elvis wrote: 26 Aug 2020, 14:33 My only complaint is that yet again someone treats gaminess as something to get rid of instead of simply an inherent flavor component of certain meats.
:?
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

So, both CuriosityStream and Nebula may be well known to others here, but they're new to me. After watching a fascinating YouTube video by Adam Neely on the structure and history of "Girl From Ipanema" (trust me, it really was fascinating if you're into understanding music) it turns out that his stuff and lots of other stuff I'm going to enjoy surfing during the pandemic are both available in HD, unlimited access for $15 a year by signing up for CuriosityStream and using the promo code adamneely.

If this means nothing to you, never mind. If either site intrigues or entices you, it seems to me this is a pretty good deal for a year's worth of ad-free content not chained down by YouTube's increasingly stringent rules and idiotic algorithms.
Highway

Post by Highway »

The Girl from Ipanema video was really interesting. Nice dive into history and roots of the song.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Adam Neely is great. (He got me hooked during his 432 MHz video) 12tone is a similar youtuber who is also quite good.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

We all know upside-down pictures of bats look like they're dancing.

Upside-down video of fruitbats with the right music looks like a goth club.

(I lean towards the Sisters of Mercy one.)
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Warren

Post by Warren »

An Oxford comma walks into a bar, where it spends the evening watching the television, getting drunk, and smoking cigars.
• A dangling participle walks into a bar. Enjoying a cocktail and chatting with the bartender, the evening passes pleasantly.
• A bar was walked into by the passive voice.
• An oxymoron walked into a bar, and the silence was deafening.
• Two quotation marks walk into a “bar.”
• A malapropism walks into a bar, looking for all intensive purposes like a wolf in cheap clothing, muttering epitaphs and casting dispersions on his magnificent other, who takes him for granite.
• Hyperbole totally rips into this insane bar and absolutely destroys everything.
• A question mark walks into a bar?
• A non sequitur walks into a bar. In a strong wind, even turkeys can fly.
• Papyrus and Comic Sans walk into a bar. The bartender says, "Get out -- we don't serve your type."
• A mixed metaphor walks into a bar, seeing the handwriting on the wall but hoping to nip it in the bud.
• A comma splice walks into a bar, it has a drink and then leaves.
• Three intransitive verbs walk into a bar. They sit. They converse. They depart.
• A synonym strolls into a tavern.
• At the end of the day, a cliché walks into a bar -- fresh as a daisy, cute as a button, and sharp as a tack.
• A run-on sentence walks into a bar it starts flirting. With a cute little sentence fragment.
• Falling slowly, softly falling, the chiasmus collapses to the bar floor.
• A figure of speech literally walks into a bar and ends up getting figuratively hammered.
• An allusion walks into a bar, despite the fact that alcohol is its Achilles heel.
• The subjunctive would have walked into a bar, had it only known.
• A misplaced modifier walks into a bar owned by a man with a glass eye named Ralph.
• The past, present, and future walked into a bar. It was tense.
• A dyslexic walks into a bra.
• A verb walks into a bar, sees a beautiful noun, and suggests they conjugate. The noun declines.
• A simile walks into a bar, as parched as a desert.
• A gerund and an infinitive walk into a bar, drinking to forget.
• A hyphenated word and a non-hyphenated word walk into a bar and the bartender nearly chokes on the irony
- Jill Thomas Doyle
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Random fake Deepak Chopra quote generator
Self power is inextricably connected to subjective marvel
True identity is rooted in essential destiny
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
dhex

Post by dhex »

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/m7jn ... his-airbnb

A better headline might be "Scared moron slanders AirBnB host"

ETA: there's an element of religious bigotry here, sort of - or at least a fear of "the other" - but it's doubly hilarious since the complaining party writes books on racism and diversity.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
JD

Post by JD »

An interesting article on America's change from a high-trust to a low-trust society, what this bodes for us, what history suggests, and how we might turn things around.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ca/616581/

I don't agree with it all of it, but there's some interesting stuff, and it is definitely a real and significant issue.
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

JD wrote: 09 Oct 2020, 14:05 An interesting article on America's change from a high-trust to a low-trust society, what this bodes for us, what history suggests, and how we might turn things around.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ca/616581/

I don't agree with it all of it, but there's some interesting stuff, and it is definitely a real and significant issue.
That was a pretty good article. Gillespie has been pounding his shoe on that podium since before the '016 election.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman