Petty annoyances

Hugh Akston

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Hugh Akston »

Wait, where is Apple still using .mov?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Highway

Post by Highway »

dead_elvis wrote: 01 Apr 2020, 14:05
Warren wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 17:29 Everything worked fine until I upgraded the OS and now my 1TB drive is "read only" because it's formatted for windows (so why did it work before?).
This is exactly the kind of thing that is driving me away from Apple.

The only thing that kept me getting iPhones is that my wife has Samsung/Android and it's somehow even *more* of a shitshow.
I've been much much happier with a Google Pixel3 than I ever was with Samsung phones on Android. And Android on even Samsung tablets has been more useful to me than dealing with my iPad was. But yeah, Samsung is like the worst Android experience.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
nicole

Post by nicole »

Hugh Akston wrote: 01 Apr 2020, 14:07 Wait, where is Apple still using .mov?
Pretty sure that’s still what my iPhone videos upload as
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
Taktix®

Post by Taktix® »

nicole wrote: 01 Apr 2020, 14:14
How else will Apple force the resolution spoiling of iVideos (and iPictures) shared with non-Apple devices?
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie
Warren

Post by Warren »

dead_elvis wrote: 01 Apr 2020, 14:02 After a very frustrating afternoon yesterday I've come to realize that between OS upgrades and/or older software and crazy high resolutions I have completely lost the ability to simply take a video with the phone and edit it on the (Late 2011) lappy. Used to be a snap.
Yeah yeah yeah. I was just dealing with that.
Check Photos. If you plug your iphone into your mac it should autosuck your photos (i.e. pics and vid in the photos app) on your phone to photos on your mac. If that's not happening, you have to fix the glitch in something something settings.

ETA
Oh but wait. You're not having problems uploading, you're having problems editing. Yeah I use iMovie because I don't know any better.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Huh. gross. FWIW Apple's native apps are never very good regardless of the platform. There are plenty of alternative editing apps in the app store. And if you need to convert video formats (which I do frequently) Handbrake is your best bet.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Hugh Akston wrote: 01 Apr 2020, 15:59
Huh. gross. FWIW Apple's native apps are never very good regardless of the platform. There are plenty of alternative editing apps in the app store. And if you need to convert video formats (which I do frequently) Handbrake is your best bet.
Ha, Handbrake was one of the things I was using yesterday to see if I could get a useable format/resolution, the end result audio was out of sync.

The thing that's frustrating is that Garageband and iMovie, whatever their faults, it used to be really easy to do a certain set of quick and dirty things, and they were free. Yesterday I opened the .mov in Garageband to mix in the recording from better mics into the soundtrack and it wouldn't show the video frames, at all. Just totally blank video. My copy of Quicktime Pro wouldn't open it at all. Bah.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Warren wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 17:29 Fuuuu. My iMac has an internal 250GB SSD, so I got a 1TB external drive for it when I bought it. Everything worked fine until I upgraded the OS and now my 1TB drive is "read only" because it's formatted for windows (so why did it work before?).

I've got 275GB of stuff on it and nowhere to put it while I reformat the drive. *sigh*

I think I'm going to try to upgrade my dropbox for a month free and cancel as soon as I get my drive reformatted. Sometime when I've got time and attention to focus on what I'm doing. Ack!
If it's an NTFS volume, OS X can read, but can't write to NTFS. There are a number of third-party NTFS drivers to make that work on Macs; Paragon NTFS and Tuxera are ones I've heard of, and I believe I used the latter years back. Could you have installed one of those (or another program for the purpose)?

Whatever you installed might not be compatible with the OS X version you updated to, or might just need an update.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Warren

Post by Warren »

Eric the .5b wrote: 01 Apr 2020, 20:57
Warren wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 17:29 Fuuuu. My iMac has an internal 250GB SSD, so I got a 1TB external drive for it when I bought it. Everything worked fine until I upgraded the OS and now my 1TB drive is "read only" because it's formatted for windows (so why did it work before?).

I've got 275GB of stuff on it and nowhere to put it while I reformat the drive. *sigh*

I think I'm going to try to upgrade my dropbox for a month free and cancel as soon as I get my drive reformatted. Sometime when I've got time and attention to focus on what I'm doing. Ack!
If it's an NTFS volume, OS X can read, but can't write to NTFS. There are a number of third-party NTFS drivers to make that work on Macs; Paragon NTFS and Tuxera are ones I've heard of, and I believe I used the latter years back. Could you have installed one of those (or another program for the purpose)?

Whatever you installed might not be compatible with the OS X version you updated to, or might just need an update.
That's possible. IIRC the drive had Windows and Mac software on it and might have installed something. 32 bit programs no longer worked after the upgrade (including Mac Media Player). I just deleted stuff that didn't work and couldn't find an update for.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Warren wrote: 01 Apr 2020, 21:03
Eric the .5b wrote: 01 Apr 2020, 20:57

That's possible. IIRC the drive had Windows and Mac software on it and might have installed something. 32 bit programs no longer worked after the upgrade (including Mac Media Player). I just deleted stuff that didn't work and couldn't find an update for.
Ah, right, the 32-bit changeover. Paragon NTFS appears to have a version for Catalina; dunno about the others.

Frickin' Catalina.
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

My wife and parents conspired a couple years ago to get me a raspberry pi 3 for christmas. But I didn't think we still had any usb keyboards for the initial install and I just never got around to dealing with it. So I was excited to discover one in an old box of junk. Got everything together this morning to put together the kit and... noobs is somehow the only graphical linux installer I've used that *requires a fucking mouse*, not just the keyboard. The tab key doesn't go through the available options, and the return key only checks and unchecked the box instead of triggering the "install" button. I don't think it will be too hard to work around, but for cryin' out loud I sure didn't expect that behavior in the linux world.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
Warren

Post by Warren »

Eric the .5b wrote: 02 Apr 2020, 13:40 Paragon NTFS appears to have a version for Catalina
This seems to have worked. I'm out 20 bucks but It's worth it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Warren wrote: 04 Apr 2020, 12:34
Eric the .5b wrote: 02 Apr 2020, 13:40 Paragon NTFS appears to have a version for Catalina
This seems to have worked. I'm out 20 bucks but It's worth it.
Glad to hear it!
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

My washing machine broke down and all the appliance repair shops are shutdown.

Now I have to go to the laundromat until the shutdown is over. :(
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Aresen wrote: 08 Apr 2020, 10:26 My washing machine broke down and all the appliance repair shops are shutdown.

Now I have to go to the laundromat until the shutdown is over. :(
This seems counterproductive.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Don't know how much laundry you typically generate (everyone is different), but if it were me, rather than risk going to a laundromat I'd rediscover the joys of washing by hand in a sink.
JD

Post by JD »

dead_elvis wrote: 08 Apr 2020, 12:55 Don't know how much laundry you typically generate (everyone is different), but if it were me, rather than risk going to a laundromat I'd rediscover the joys of washing by hand in a sink.
Drying is a real problem if you don't have a dryer, though. If you're lucky you may have an outdoor drying line, but even then you're a bit at the mercy of the weather.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

or just give up on clothes altogether.
Warren

Post by Warren »

Or you could, you know, grow a pair and fix the damn thing yourself. :P
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Twba

Post by Twba »

Warren wrote: 08 Apr 2020, 13:29 Or you could, you know, grow a pair and fix the damn thing yourself. :P
That is a slippery slope. It starts with one Youtube video showing how to repair a common household appliance. Before you know it, you're strung out on videos showing how to tune a Lamborghini V12 with six Weber carbs.
Highway

Post by Highway »

Twba wrote: 08 Apr 2020, 13:48
Warren wrote: 08 Apr 2020, 13:29 Or you could, you know, grow a pair and fix the damn thing yourself. :P
That is a slippery slope. It starts with one Youtube video showing how to repair a common household appliance. Before you know it, you're strung out on videos showing how to tune a Lamborghini V12 with six Weber carbs.
Or a 17 part series about some guys doing a DIY Engine Out Major Service on a Ferrari 348. It was pretty fun overall. :)
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

JD wrote: 08 Apr 2020, 13:13
dead_elvis wrote: 08 Apr 2020, 12:55 Don't know how much laundry you typically generate (everyone is different), but if it were me, rather than risk going to a laundromat I'd rediscover the joys of washing by hand in a sink.
Drying is a real problem if you don't have a dryer, though. If you're lucky you may have an outdoor drying line, but even then you're a bit at the mercy of the weather.
I've hung-dry clothes indoors on doorjambs with little problem. Sheets are much more of a pain, though.

On the plus side of an excursion, I went to a laundromat the other week, and it was almost dead. Just follow your usual shopping hygiene. (And remember that the soap and high dryer temps are both bad for the virus.)
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

JD wrote: 08 Apr 2020, 13:13
esp on vancouver island.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Twba

Post by Twba »

Highway wrote: 08 Apr 2020, 13:54
Or a 17 part series about some guys doing a DIY Engine Out Major Service on a Ferrari 348. It was pretty fun overall. :)
You too have fallen down that rabbit hole. The first step is to admit that you are an addict. You are powerless when faced with the never ending side bar of related videos.
Kwix

Post by Kwix »

Twba wrote: 08 Apr 2020, 17:14
Highway wrote: 08 Apr 2020, 13:54
You too have fallen down that rabbit hole. The first step is to admit that you are an addict. You are powerless when faced with the never ending side bar of related videos.
Amen.
"People are sometimes the answer, but they are ALWAYS the problem." -- Ellie
"I thought during the apocalypse I would be counting ammo rounds instead of toilet paper rolls." --Twba