Petty annoyances

Kwix

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Kwix »

Warren wrote: 08 Apr 2020, 13:29 Or you could, you know, grow a pair and fix the damn thing yourself. :P
So, this is interesting. I own an LG (yeah, yeah). Parts in these, um, parts are interesting to come by. Near as I can figure I have to buy them locally and only from LG authorized repair shops. Nobody I've located on the intertubes will ship here. I'm not sure why but we have other "non-compete" style things in place here so....
"People are sometimes the answer, but they are ALWAYS the problem." -- Ellie
"I thought during the apocalypse I would be counting ammo rounds instead of toilet paper rolls." --Twba
Warren

Post by Warren »

Kwix wrote: 09 Apr 2020, 04:09
Warren wrote: 08 Apr 2020, 13:29 Or you could, you know, grow a pair and fix the damn thing yourself. :P
So, this is interesting. I own an LG (yeah, yeah). Parts in these, um, parts are interesting to come by. Near as I can figure I have to buy them locally and only from LG authorized repair shops. Nobody I've located on the intertubes will ship here. I'm not sure why but we have other "non-compete" style things in place here so....
No excuses!
Why I once jury rigged a washer/dryer out of an old bicycle, two squirrels and a toaster.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Kwix wrote: 09 Apr 2020, 04:09

This is the place I ordered dryer parts from recently. If... uh... there's certain gov regulations strangling the free exchange of goods between consenting parties up there, I'm sure something can be arranged behind the veil. ;)

https://www.appliancepartspros.com/
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex
Highway

Post by Highway »

I own an LG Washer and Dryer also, and will definitely go with another brand next time. We were ready to go out and just buy a new washer about 2 years ago to replace this one that was only about 4 years old because LG's washers are so damn picky about load balancing. I keep trying to yell at it that it doesn't need to go 10,000 RPM to spin the clothes! (but of course it never listens) And it doesn't need to then pour more water in and try to swoosh stuff around to balance it when it's just going to fail because all the pants got tangled up anyway. It seems a little better since I tightened some nuts on the washer, and re-leveled it, but it's really frustrating, and a very common problem with LG top load washers.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

I know there's a stipulated sense in statistics and that cops use the word as shorthand for former arrests and convictions, but when did "priors" become a synonym for "assumptions"? It seems like I went from hearing its use only in those contexts for decades and then at some point the word infested general palaver.

Same, btw, for "optics" as the new "appearances."

Now, get off my lawn.
Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 14 Apr 2020, 21:19 I know there's a stipulated sense in statistics and that cops use the word as shorthand for former arrests and convictions, but when did "priors" become a synonym for "assumptions"? It seems like I went from hearing its use only in those contexts for decades and then at some point the word infested general palaver.

Same, btw, for "optics" as the new "appearances."

Now, get off my lawn.
"Priors" does come out of the Bayesian statistical sense, from what I can tell. Probably became more common as a lot more Bayesian statistics was happening in the public sphere. Nate Silver uses it (correctly) a lot, for instance.
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Same for "impacted".

Everything impacts people nowadays rather then just affecting them.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Jasper wrote: 15 Apr 2020, 08:25 Same for "impacted".

Agree. 'Impact' as a verb should be reserved for high velocity projectiles.

(Didn't that come up in "Words I happen to dislike?")
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

People and their colons!
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD
Warren

Post by Warren »

Ellie wrote: 15 Apr 2020, 11:24

People and their colons!
More like semicolons right?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Ellie wrote: 15 Apr 2020, 11:24

People and their colons!
And their teeth.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
JD

Post by JD »

Why the fuck does anyone continue to use Zoom? It is absolutely fucking terrible, and there are free alternatives. It's a security disaster and a UI disaster. Other than the well-known security issues:
- when you're waiting for the host to let you into a meeting, the dialog that says so is unchangeably on top of everything else on your screen (you can minimize it, but you cannot put anything else in front of it)
- when you leave a meeting, Zoom tries to keep running in the background
- it repeatedly pesters you to install it with admin rights despite not needing them
- whenever someone else starts sharing their screen, Zoom fullscreens itself

The only thing it has over Google Meet, AFAICT, is that it has push-spacebar-to-talk.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

JD wrote: 16 Apr 2020, 16:49 Why the fuck does anyone continue to use Zoom? It is absolutely fucking terrible, and there are free alternatives. It's a security disaster and a UI disaster. Other than the well-known security issues:
- when you're waiting for the host to let you into a meeting, the dialog that says so is unchangeably on top of everything else on your screen (you can minimize it, but you cannot put anything else in front of it)
- it repeatedly pesters you to install it with admin rights despite not needing them

The only thing it has over Google Meet, AFAICT, is that it has push-spacebar-to-talk.
Well that and everything Google makes is garbage.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
JD

Post by JD »

Hugh Akston wrote: 16 Apr 2020, 17:23 Well that and everything Google makes is garbage.
Google Meet knocks the hell out of Zoom in just about every way, with the solitary exception of push-to-talk.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
JD

Post by JD »

Although speaking of software annoyances: on the Mac at least, dragging left or right with two fingers scrolls the content left or right in the browser window...until you hit the window edge and then it switches to "go forward or back in the browser history". Making the same gesture do two wildly different things, that can actually switch while you're using the gesture, seems like a major UI fail. Fortunately you can turn it off, although it's buried in trackpad settings under "more gestures".
Warren

Post by Warren »

JD wrote: 16 Apr 2020, 17:58 Although speaking of software annoyances: on the Mac at least, dragging left or right with two fingers scrolls the content left or right in the browser window...until you hit the window edge and then it switches to "go forward or back in the browser history". Making the same gesture do two wildly different things, that can actually switch while you're using the gesture, seems like a major UI fail. Fortunately you can turn it off, although it's buried in trackpad settings under "more gestures".
Mine doesn't do either of those things. Two finger swipe lets you switch between full screen apps.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

JD wrote: 16 Apr 2020, 17:54
Hugh Akston wrote: 16 Apr 2020, 17:23 Well that and everything Google makes is garbage.
Google Meet knocks the hell out of Zoom in just about every way, with the solitary exception of push-to-talk.
Alls I know is that my one meeting that takes place on Googs is rife with connection and audio compatibility problems that don't happen on Zoom. Though the other problems you noted about Zoom are accurate. Neither is the ideal solution.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

JD wrote: 16 Apr 2020, 16:49 Why the fuck does anyone continue to use Zoom? It is absolutely fucking terrible, and there are free alternatives. It's a security disaster and a UI disaster. Other than the well-known security issues:

When I tested a bunch of stuff to put my classes online, Zoom had by _far_ the best user experience. My students say they like it better than the other things we've been using.

The one-click join is the big selling point, although that comes with a lot of major security issues. But everything about it has been super seamless for us.
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

The first thing I notice about Meet is that I can only join meetings with a meeting code, not start any.

Google Hangouts, even in its current, pared-down form, probably covers a lot of what people actually need. I actually question how much video is useful, as opposed to something that just makes management feel everyone is paying attention.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
JD

Post by JD »

Jadagul wrote: 16 Apr 2020, 18:39 The one-click join is the big selling point, although that comes with a lot of major security issues. But everything about it has been super seamless for us.
Can you explain what you mean about the one-click join? In my experience Zoom isn't any more one-click than Meet, in fact less so since first you open a URL, and then it wants to open the app, and then it wants you to click on how you want to join audio, etc.

Eric the .5b wrote:The first thing I notice about Meet is that I can only join meetings with a meeting code, not start any.
Oh yeah, I see what you mean - I forget about that because I'm normally using a business account. That seems to be a limitation on personal accounts.
Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

JD wrote: 17 Apr 2020, 10:15
Jadagul wrote: 16 Apr 2020, 18:39 The one-click join is the big selling point, although that comes with a lot of major security issues. But everything about it has been super seamless for us.
Can you explain what you mean about the one-click join? In my experience Zoom isn't any more one-click than Meet, in fact less so since first you open a URL, and then it wants to open the app, and then it wants you to click on how you want to join audio, etc.

So I've never used Meet.

But Zoom's big thing is that you can click a link and join the meeting _even if you've never used Zoom before_. Which is why the Mac client used to basically be malware, so it would install itself when you clicked a meeting link.

Unlike the other tools I've used, it doesn't require you to have an account, and it doesn't require you to have already formed any contacts with anyone else involved in the meeting. And you can do it from your browser without installing anything.

(Now, the main reason I wound up actually using it was a combination of the whiteboarding/annotation stuff, which I haven't used in practice, and the persistent chat room, which clearly you can get other ways but Zoom would let me do. And because it seems to be the only software that has functional screensharing in Linux.)
Highway

Post by Highway »

Annoyed that someone dropped their plastic bag of dog crap in my just-emptied trash can out at the curb. So now I've got that hanging around my house for the whole week.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I know this is common knowledge, but the windows search function is so unbelievably bad. I know I've written a motion on this issue before. I know the main keywords and cases that are in it. Yet searching those words brings up nothing.

Somehow, the search brings up many results with none of the words I'm looking for. It's almost impressive in how bad it is.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex
JD

Post by JD »

Every single app, website, service, etc. wants to send you push notifications now.
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Andrew wrote: 23 Apr 2020, 13:57 I know this is common knowledge, but the windows search function is so unbelievably bad. I know I've written a motion on this issue before. I know the main keywords and cases that are in it. Yet searching those words brings up nothing.

Somehow, the search brings up many results with none of the words I'm looking for. It's almost impressive in how bad it is.
I think Netflix uses the same algorithm for it "Because you watched..." suggestions.