Petty annoyances

Highway

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Highway »

I wonder if this is related to the memos that were on twitter last week about the USPS directives on overtime and not allowing overtime to deliver mail. If mail isn't delivered at the end of the work time, they were supposed to hold it and deliver it the next day. I don't know if package deliveries were in there as well, but I wouldn't put it past the Trump ass-kisser Postmaster General guy to try to make his one actual client happy by screwing over everybody with packages.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Don't think I mentioned here, but I got a diagnosis of adult ADHD a few months ago and have been taking Adderall ever since -- the non-extended-release ones, so I take a dose when I wake up and then a half dose around lunchtime so I don't totally crash.

It's my first day back in the office and I forgot to bring my meds with me. It's 2pm and I'M DYING zzzzzzzzzzzzz
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Back in aught-17, we'd ordered a six-pack or 10-pack or something of whoever-certified* eclipse glasses and wanted to send some to the erstwhile surly teen and his girlfriend in Fort Riley/Manhattan KS. We got them late because of course there were backorder issues, so it was Tuesday before the Monday of the eclipse before I could get some packed for them, but as they're flat cardboard I decided to use USPS Priority Express to get them there, one state away, by Thursday, worst case Friday, but with Saturday as a cushion day. They get to Kansas City the night I send them, then they go to either Joplin or Springfield (can't recall which, but somewhere deeper into Missouri, the opposite direction from Kansas), where they sit for three days, before being delivered Monday afternoon, about two hours after the eclipse ended.

*Can't remember who it is, but there's some organization, maybe some astronomers' society or possibly even NASA who were/are certifying sun-viewing filters as safe/sufficient to prevent eye damage, amid the sea of half-assed ones that might allow between 2x and 100x more light than is considered safe.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Ellie wrote: 20 Jul 2020, 14:56 Don't think I mentioned here, but I got a diagnosis of adult ADHD a few months ago and have been taking Adderall ever since -- the non-extended-release ones, so I take a dose when I wake up and then a half dose around lunchtime so I don't totally crash.

It's my first day back in the office and I forgot to bring my meds with me. It's 2pm and I'M DYING zzzzzzzzzzzzz
ur pain

i feelz it

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

lunchstealer wrote: 20 Jul 2020, 15:55
Ellie wrote: 20 Jul 2020, 14:56 Don't think I mentioned here, but I got a diagnosis of adult ADHD a few months ago and have been taking Adderall ever since -- the non-extended-release ones, so I take a dose when I wake up and then a half dose around lunchtime so I don't totally crash.

ur pain

i feelz it
+1

Also, please be careful when/if you decide to discontinue, because it was really, *really*, terrible for me, to the point where I won't ever use it again (despite the usefulness and ameliorative effects which deffo helped my ADHD).
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

My strategy so far has been to only use it on days where I think I'll need it most, almost never on weekends. I'm also on a pretty low dose.

JD

Post by JD »

My wife got a new Windows PC for her business. (It had to be a PC due to some Windows-only software, unfortunately.) Holy shit is Windows 10 just a hatefully bad user experience. As an otherwise 100% Mac and Unix user, I tend to forget that.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

JD wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 15:12 My wife got a new Windows PC for her business. (It had to be a PC due to some Windows-only software, unfortunately.) Holy shit is Windows 10 just a hatefully bad user experience. As an otherwise 100% Mac and Unix user, I tend to forget that.
We have a bunch of Win-only software, and I just have to be brutal with it to make it tolerable, and I've been a windows user nonstop since 1996, and DOS for the six years before that. (started C64)

By default, it's awful and bloaty and gross and covered in shit that you have to remove to make the interface even readable. I still haven't found a good way to make window margins as visible and clear as they were in XP and Win7, which were definitely the pinnacle of the Windows experience. I haven't gotten to play with UNIX in any significant way since 2004-ish and it sometimes makes me sad.

Also okay I get it through Windows XP and maybe even into 7, but WHY THE FUCK ARE DRIVE LETTERS STILL A THING.

Also gotta say though that it's kind of hard on MacOS to get at the root directory and actually find stuff on the file system. Sometimes I don't want to store every single thing in my 'documents' folder. But that's a small gripe.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Today was Jeff's official first day of being On Vacation (not that we're going anywhere, of course, but he is obligated to burn through a certain amount of paid time off before the end of his "fiscal work year"), and he spent the whole day running various unexpected errands, which he must continue doing tomorrow, because we had a super-intense electrical storm that not only killed our cable and internet (different company providers) in the neighborhood, but fried our own modem and cable boxes. As of now we have internet again (obviously), but still no cable.

Hence why it's almost 9 pm in my time zone and I'm just now getting online.

Mitigating factor: the one "planned" errand Jeff did today was stop at a nearby bodega, whose owner makes money in part by turning over a bunch of his floor space to Amazon pick-up lockers. Turns out the owner (who knows Jeff fairly well, or at least recognizes him as a not-infrequent customer) is accepting rolled coin in exchange for bills, and was rather excited when Jeff told him we have at least $100 in rolled coin at home, and he promised to bring it by tomorrow.

This inspired me to buckle down and FINALLY roll all the unrolled coins in our loose-change and "found money" bowls; between that, and the coins we already had rolled, we now have exactly $175 in rolled coins (plus another 50 cents in pennies that remain unrolled because I ran out of penny-papers). That is MORE than enough to cover the cost of the Amazon purchase Jeff picked up at the bodega today.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Jennifer wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 20:55 Today was Jeff's official first day of being On Vacation (not that we're going anywhere, of course, but he is obligated to burn through a certain amount of paid time off before the end of his "fiscal work year"), and he spent the whole day running various unexpected errands, which he must continue doing tomorrow, because we had a super-intense electrical storm that not only killed our cable and internet (different company providers) in the neighborhood, but fried our own modem and cable boxes. As of now we have internet again (obviously), but still no cable.

Mitigating factor: the one "planned" errand Jeff did today was stop at a nearby bodega, whose owner makes money in part by turning over a bunch of his floor space to Amazon pick-up lockers. Turns out the owner (who knows Jeff fairly well, or at least recognizes him as a not-infrequent customer) is accepting rolled coin in exchange for bills, and was rather excited when Jeff told him we have at least $100 in rolled coin at home, and he promised to bring it by tomorrow.

This inspired me to buckle down and FINALLY roll all the unrolled coins in our loose-change and "found money" bowls; between that, and the coins we already had rolled, we now have exactly $175 in rolled coins (plus another 50 cents in pennies that remain unrolled because I ran out of penny-papers). That is MORE than enough to cover the cost of the Amazon purchase Jeff picked up at the bodega today.
I was wondering why you had been absent. Don't you have surge protectors for things like electrical storms? [Plea to my more technologically knowledgeable Gryll friends: I don't know if surge protectors can handle that kind of power. Be gentle in your corrections.] Hope it all gets straightened out soon.

Congrats on the 'found money.'
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Highway

Post by Highway »

Aresen wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 21:15
Jennifer wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 20:55 Today was Jeff's official first day of being On Vacation (not that we're going anywhere, of course, but he is obligated to burn through a certain amount of paid time off before the end of his "fiscal work year"), and he spent the whole day running various unexpected errands, which he must continue doing tomorrow, because we had a super-intense electrical storm that not only killed our cable and internet (different company providers) in the neighborhood, but fried our own modem and cable boxes. As of now we have internet again (obviously), but still no cable.

I was wondering why you had been absent. Don't you have surge protectors for things like electrical storms? [Plea to my more technologically knowledgeable Gryll friends: I don't know if surge protectors can handle that kind of power. Be gentle in your corrections.] Hope it all gets straightened out soon.

Congrats on the 'found money.'
One big problem is that cable distribution networks are terrible with lightning strikes. I've had multiple TVs, VCRs, Tivos, and cable modems destroyed by lightning strikes on the cable system. The electrical system generally does fine, but cable does not.

Just another reason I'm happy to be on FIOS rather than Comcast / Xfinity.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Highway wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 21:30 One big problem is that cable distribution networks are terrible with lightning strikes. I've had multiple TVs, VCRs, Tivos, and cable modems destroyed by lightning strikes on the cable system. The electrical system generally does fine, but cable does not.

Just another reason I'm happy to be on FIOS rather than Comcast / Xfinity.
Thanks for letting me know.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

FWIW, our own personal-property electronic devices -- mainly the TV and our computers -- are fine, and we never lost our electricity, only our communication utilities. Only the modem and cable boxes, which IIRC are both company property rather than "our stuff" (we need not pay to replace them, merely swap out the old for the new at a company location somewhere), got fried. I'm pretty sure those are all plugged into surge protectors, same as our other electronics. (The whaddaya-call-it box for streaming internet TV channels a la Pluto is also fine--IIRC that box is also "our property" rather than "property of some service provider. That thing, the cable box and the TV are all plugged in to the same surge strip, but only the cable box got fried.)

I remember now that our cable box fried at least once before in Georgia, in another intense electric storm -- I remember thinking I would've been extra-pissed about all the DVR stuff I lost, except at that time we were only a week or so away from switching cable providers anyway (since Jeff's company had just switched owners, so he now qualified for ultra-mega subscription discounts through his job). Our last cable provider (and current ISP) was Comcast, this one is U-verse.

Also, regarding the "found money" bowl --- y'all might remember when I first moved here, was not REMOTELY acclimated to the summer conditions yet and also still lacked proper clothing to minimize the worst of it, one way I bribed myself into taking exercise walks (or at least trudges) through the neighborhood was playing the "found money game," picking up any coins I saw (and there were a remarkably high number of them, especially considering what a generally poor neighborhood this is). But eventually, as I got accustomed to the area and found other things to do, I kind of tapered off (I mean, I'd still pick up any coins I happened to see, and put them with the "found money" rather than the regular loose change, but I did not specifically LOOK for coins anymore. Now, with covid, on the rare occasions I do go out I don't bother picking up small coins at all, since this is officially Risky Behavior.) Also, at some point in the past year or so, I switched from the rather small "found money bowl" to a much larger "found money covered tin," which helped contribute to an "out of sight, out of mind" attitude regarding the found money -- until today, when Jeff told me the bodega owner was really starting to hurt for lack of coinage, and would be glad to buy any backlog of rolled coins (which, post-covid, we've been unable to deposit in either of our banks).

In the tin was still the slip of paper where I'd listed the dates and amounts, all previous times I'd emptied the found money bowl. The last time I'd done so, when I still used a small found-money bowl rather than a much larger tin, was Oct. 1, 2018 -- on that day, it held $8.43. Today, when I emptied the found money tin and counted its contents, it held $31.66 (which included three one-dollar bills, plus a ten Jeff found in the parking lot after work one night). The rest was all coins, including a bit over seven dollars in "found dimes" alone.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Highway

Post by Highway »

Jennifer wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 22:46 FWIW, our own personal-property electronic devices -- mainly the TV and our computers -- are fine, and we never lost our electricity, only our communication utilities. Only the modem and cable boxes, which IIRC are both company property rather than "our stuff" (we need not pay to replace them, merely swap out the old for the new at a company location somewhere), got fried. I'm pretty sure those are all plugged into surge protectors, same as our other electronics. (The whaddaya-call-it box for streaming internet TV channels a la Pluto is also fine--IIRC that box is also "our property" rather than "property of some service provider. That thing, the cable box and the TV are all plugged in to the same surge strip, but only the cable box got fried.)
It's not about the surge strip you plug the electrical plugs into. It's the coax cable that runs into the cable box. Surge suppression on that cable is terrible, and is usually the path for things to get fried. U-verse can also use a copper wire tied to the phone system which may be the problem path for that.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Still no cable TV (I gather the overall connection in our neighborhood is fine; it's just that we need a new box). I had one of the Pluto channels streaming last night just for background noise while I did boring-housework stuff -- there is a channel that plays nothing but old Addams Family episodes, 24/7 -- and after being spoiled for years by a DVR, it was WEIRD going back to my childhood TV-watching habits of "You can watch whatever is on now, and that's it. No, you can NOT fast-forward through the commercials."

Also: at least here in north Georgia, the Pluto commercials are VERY right-wing. On the Addams Family Channel -- and also in Pluto's "On Demand" equivalent stream, when I watched "The Muppets Take Manhattan" -- EVERY commercial break had this scare-commercial about Jon Ossoff (Democrat running for something-or-other): he supports the Green New Deal, which was implemented by socialists. SOCIALISTS!!! And something about "his ideas are so bad, only Hollywood could support them."
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

One good thing, though: Jeff said the bodega owner was ECSTATIC when he saw Jeff walk in today, carrying a big Tupperware box full of rolled coins. Gave Jeff $175 in paper cash without even bothering to count the rolls first, even though Jeff urged him to do so.
Highway

Post by Highway »

I think we've run into the super shitty employee for Hello Fresh. Two weeks in a row, our food has not shipped out from there. The old "Notice sent to FedEx" and then no updates, and no food. And the two weeks before that, it was badly packed and missing recipe cards. Customer Service is "filing a report" but they did that last week too.
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

I "won" a Hello Fresh gift thing from work worth 8 meals or something. I found their customer service infuriating. They wouldn't let me use the second set of 4 meals without signing up for a plan with payment out of pocket even though that's totally not what the gift thing said. The 4 meals we got were in transit long enough the gel packs were 80% liquid and the interior material was saturated. Edible but hard to use. I mean it's not for me anyway, but I dislike their whole model.

It's spendy but to me something like Factor makes a lot more sense. It isn't that much more expensive than Hello Fresh, the food is pretty good, you can pick all manner of keto, low carb, low calorie, no dairy etc options. I use it for lunches in times of covid and also for most meals during surgery recovery.
Highway

Post by Highway »

Yeah, the fully-prepared meals thing is just out for us. Not interested at all.

The main thing we like about Hello Fresh is that they do the ingredient portioning for two people. We don't need to have a whole bottle of umpteen different sauces on the shelf going bad when we make a recipe once. We don't need to buy a whole bunch of scallions when we only need two, or a whole bunch of cilantro for a tablespoon (fresh-picked cilantro is great, but it bolts so quickly that it's not reliable to grow).

The second main thing is that it provides a nice impetus to make the meals. We've never not made a meal we received from Hello Fresh. Compare that to how many ingredients rotted and got thrown out when we went shopping and tried to plan to cook but then didn't follow through, and we're way ahead on that.
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Highway wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 11:20 Yeah, the fully-prepared meals thing is just out for us. Not interested at all.

The main thing we like about Hello Fresh is that they do the ingredient portioning for two people. We don't need to have a whole bottle of umpteen different sauces on the shelf going bad when we make a recipe once. We don't need to buy a whole bunch of scallions when we only need two, or a whole bunch of cilantro for a tablespoon (fresh-picked cilantro is great, but it bolts so quickly that it's not reliable to grow).

The second main thing is that it provides a nice impetus to make the meals. We've never not made a meal we received from Hello Fresh. Compare that to how many ingredients rotted and got thrown out when we went shopping and tried to plan to cook but then didn't follow through, and we're way ahead on that.
We had good luck with Hello Fresh, then switched to Green Chef (by then owned by Hello Fresh) for healthier meal options, but gawd that was a lot of kale and I just ran out of kale tolerance so we started going far enough between cooking that we did lose some meals. We're doing Freshly these days, which is okay. Post gastric bypass, mrs lunch and I eat in very different patterns, so me cooking for both of us (I'm more of the cook in the family) just doesn't make much sense, so with the pre-prepped meals we can focus on what we'd prefer and what works for us. It's not great, but it's better than getting too late to cook and hitting the taco bell.

Also new petty annoyance, something to do with reducing the chance of food getting contaminated with COVID, the taco bells is removing all their high-number-of-touches menu items, including the seven-layer burrito, which has been my go-to for a long time. It's just so different from any other fast food option anywhere that it's a great alternative, and now I'll have to do lesser stuff.

Highway

Post by Highway »

And then our box arrives today. So good on their tracking for not showing it...
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Our cable box (originally scheduled to arrive at our house no later than 9 p.m. yesterday) was put on a truck in the nearby town of Doraville at ten this morning, per UPS, and that's the last we've heard of it.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

UPS now saying we'll get our cable box by nine p.m. tomorrow. I'm not really annoyed by this, but I am mildly curious regarding what happened to make the schedule so badly delayed.
Highway

Post by Highway »

More about USPS outright sabotage of shipping:

Jake

Post by Jake »

Highway wrote: 24 Jul 2020, 10:32 More about USPS outright sabotage of shipping:
Ah, so it's not just me, then.

My package tracking information has not changed since my last update. I realized this morning that if, instead of mailing the book, they'd just hidden the book in the underbrush near that Nevada post office, and I had simply started walking from my home in Oregon to go pick it up (at 3 mph for a leisurely 4 hours per day), I'd have the book by now.
"One doesn't want to be a Chicken Little but OTOH does the sky look closer to you? It looks closer to me." -- Warren