Petty annoyances

lunchstealer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by lunchstealer » 02 Oct 2019, 18:00

Aresen wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 16:42
JD wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 15:56
Man, some people's product reviews are whiny as shit. I was looking at reviews for monitors, and one said that a particular 23" monitor was "kind of small for gaming", and another complained about the "huge bezel" on another monitor (bezel looks to be about 1/4" from the customer photos). These people should be sentenced to using a 13" CRT, like just about everybody over the age of 30 did.
I'd make them use 5¼ inch floppy discs.
Specifically on a Commodore 1541 drive.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jennifer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Jennifer » 03 Oct 2019, 12:38

I bought some black rayon socks on Amazon. Two sets, in fact, one in a four-pack and one in a five-pack, and IIRC the four-pack were advertised as being made of "bamboo." I'm wearing a pair of them now, and they are indeed comfortable as hell ... but they are NOT entirely black. Their company name AND the size of the sock are woven into the socks with gray thread: right now, if you look down at the top of my stocking-clad feet you will see nothing but black, but look on either side of either foot and you'll see "Chirpy Socks 4-9."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 22 Oct 2019, 14:00

I'm up to 8-10 weird robocalls a day on my cell phone. I finally had to change the setting to "Boot unrecognized numbers to voice mail".
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 25 Oct 2019, 00:40

This has been one of those weeks that every day 'felt' like a different day:

Sunday felt like Saturday, Monday like Tuesday, Tuesday felt like Wednesday, etc.

Some googling reveals this is actually fairly common. But it is none the less annoying.

I looked to see if there was a name for it, but I couldn't find one. I am taking the liberty of coining 'mischronia' to describe it. ('achronia' and 'dyschronia' were already in use)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 25 Oct 2019, 10:05

My favorite guitar forum has been down for about 24 hours now.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 25 Oct 2019, 12:03

Aresen wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 00:40

Sunday felt like Saturday, Monday like Tuesday, Tuesday felt like Wednesday, etc.

Some googling reveals this is actually fairly common. But it is none the less annoying.

I looked to see if there was a name for it, but I couldn't find one. I am taking the liberty of coining 'mischronia' to describe it. ('achronia' and 'dyschronia' were already in use)
I think the technical term you're looking for is "retired."

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 25 Oct 2019, 12:18

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 12:03
Aresen wrote:

It often happened long before I retired.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 25 Oct 2019, 12:29

Aresen wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 12:18
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 12:03
Aresen wrote:

It often happened long before I retired.
Yeah, me too. But the rate of such occurrences does tend to rise significantly once Wednesday and Saturday have the same meaning in terms of, say, how late you can sleep in.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 26 Oct 2019, 18:37

Pfft. I'm getting dressed for a Halloween party; my (admittedly kinda half-assed) costume is "1920s gangster", consisting of various for-reals non-costume garments I own, combined with a Halloween-store white satin necktie, and Halloween-store black "gangster hat" with white satin rim. The costume was Jeff's idea: a month or so ago I bought a black pin-striped blazer (despite my usual dislike of pinstripes), because it is [thin] wool with a rayon lining, and a perfect cut and fit for me -- exactly what I need for chilly and damp Atlanta "winters." Jeff suggested I use it as the base for a gangster costume, so I matched it up with a pair of black pinstripe pants (not a matching pair; the patterns are different), black collared shirt and black vest, all of which I already had.

And now I am dressed for the party and about to leave before too long --- except I cannot wear the jacket, the main foundation of the costume, because, as previously mentioned, it is made of wool, and it's currently 72 freaking degrees outside.

Ha! Silly me, thinking "the Saturday night before Halloween" would be cool enough to wear a thin wool blazer over an equally thin cotton blouse.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Oct 2019, 10:17

I don't know when this started, or even if it was always a thing. When I triple click a line of text to highlight the whole line, it stops short of any word with a link associated with it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 30 Oct 2019, 17:54

related: Tapatalk truncates the display of links, which makes perfect sense if you have some 800-character raw URL. It also does it when the URL is embedded in the URL tag and there's text to form the link, so any URL that's linked to more than a five word sentence gets the middle pulled out of it and I have to quote the post just to read the link text. Kinda bonkers.

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

JD

Post by JD » 31 Oct 2019, 10:15

My office seems to purchase fruit from some kind of fruit vendor who specializes in unripe bananas that never ripen.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

JD

Post by JD » 20 Nov 2019, 15:47

Every now and then Anselm's ontological argument for God's existence pops back into my mind and I am annoyed all over again. I find it hard to believe that this flaming nonsense has lasted almost literally a thousand years.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 20 Nov 2019, 15:50

I feel that way about Marx, which just seems like a thousand years.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 22 Nov 2019, 14:54

I'm meeting a friend at 8pm tonight (a Friday night! not even a work night!) and I'm already exhausted just thinking of it. Who stays up that late on purpose? ugggghhhh
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 22 Nov 2019, 15:42

Ellie wrote:
22 Nov 2019, 14:54
I'm meeting a friend at 8pm tonight (a Friday night! not even a work night!) and I'm already exhausted just thinking of it. Who stays up that late on purpose? ugggghhhh
Ellie, did you see the last episode of Bob's Burgers? (S10E7, "Land of the Loft") The Belcher parents get invited to a party at a loft by their much cooler friends, and there's a brief exchange:
Cool friend: We'd love to see you there! The party starts at 10 o'clock.
Linda: 10 o'clock? What are you, the Lost Boys?

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 22 Nov 2019, 15:46

I have not seen it yet, but I am already basically Linda Belcher, and this just underscores that!
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 22 Nov 2019, 19:20

Ellie wrote:
I don't even have kids and getting me to go anywhere after 7pm is very unlikely.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 25 Nov 2019, 08:37

Andrew wrote:
22 Nov 2019, 19:20
Ellie wrote:
I don't even have kids and getting me to go anywhere after 7pm is very unlikely.
Cosign.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 26 Nov 2019, 12:31

Is anyone elses gryll going cray cray? Because it works just fine but it's really annoying looking at all the geeky wordplay like [ROOT] and /twig/twig etc etc
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 26 Nov 2019, 17:09

Yeah there's a convo about it in the stickied Damn Database Probs thread.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 28 Nov 2019, 16:07

Here's a fun Thanksgiving riddle for y'all: who has two thumbs and an oven/broiler that picked THIS of all days to completely shit the bed?

THIS gal!!!

Masked Grylliader

Post by Masked Grylliader » 29 Nov 2019, 10:16

Confession: I read that as "who has two thumbs and an oven/broiler AND picked this day to completely shit the bed" :lol:

(sorry about your oven tho)

-Ellie
Remember, remember

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 29 Nov 2019, 14:08

Well, the maintenance guy came by and confirmed that the oven and broiler have indeed lost all heat-generating capacity. So I'll be getting a new stove -- but of course I haven't the foggiest idea when. I am hoping it's soon enough that we can still cook and eat our planned Thanksgiving dinner.

My actual Thanksgiving dinner was a quesadilla made with leftover beef bits, and a couple of "Kind Kids" chewy granola bars I found cheap in the "manager's special" section. #FirstWorldProblems

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 29 Nov 2019, 14:13

If it's any consolation, I'm swamped with end-of-year work so mrs lunch decided to order most of our Thanksgiving food from Omaha Steaks. It was shipped to us FedEx ground, scheduled for Wednesday delivery. Tuesday we got hit with a massive blizzard. I-70 was shut down for a while, stranding our food a couple hours away in the eastern plains. It got to Denver too late to be sorted for the Wednesday deliveries. It just got delivered.

The Erstwhile Surly Teen and the lunchdaughterinlaw aren't both available again until Tuesday, so that's when we're scheduled for Thanksgiving. Hope the food keeps that long.