Towing the Lion

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 15239
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by Eric the .5b »

Ellie wrote: 16 Apr 2019, 13:08 From the staff meeting minutes about last Sunday's church service:
The reading of the Passion was excellent, especially [parishioner's name] as Pilot.
Image
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
User avatar
Jasper
Posts: 3472
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 07:56
Location: Newyorkachusetts

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by Jasper »

A Twit wrote: It might be, but Amash has shown on a few occasion to be willing to stand on a principle, rather than cow tow to the party line. I can respect that, even if I don’t usually agree with his position.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex
User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 17457
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by Aresen »

Jasper wrote: 18 May 2019, 19:02
A Twit wrote: It might be, but Amash has shown on a few occasion to be willing to stand on a principle, rather than cow tow to the party line. I can respect that, even if I don’t usually agree with his position.
So we're towing cows now, too?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 13554
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by Ellie »

We are a pan-species towing company.
"Ellie is the Warren of comedy." -Shem
User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 13554
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by Ellie »

Wolf cited on Twitter historical findings from a peer-reviewed article written by A.D. Harvey, a historian who’s been labeled a hoaxer. (He deceived the public into thinking that Charles Dickens and Fyodor Dostoyevsky met once and created several online personas and an entire fake community of academics.)
I didn't realize Dickens and Dostoyevsky were such dedicated internet trolls!
"Ellie is the Warren of comedy." -Shem
User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 15239
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by Eric the .5b »

Ellie wrote: 20 Jun 2019, 13:36
Wolf cited on Twitter historical findings from a peer-reviewed article written by A.D. Harvey, a historian who’s been labeled a hoaxer. (He deceived the public into thinking that Charles Dickens and Fyodor Dostoyevsky met once and created several online personas and an entire fake community of academics.)
I didn't realize Dickens and Dostoyevsky were such dedicated internet trolls!
Dickens totally would have been.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
User avatar
Warren
Posts: 30384
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by Warren »

Eric the .5b wrote: 20 Jun 2019, 14:32
Ellie wrote: 20 Jun 2019, 13:36
Wolf cited on Twitter historical findings from a peer-reviewed article written by A.D. Harvey, a historian who’s been labeled a hoaxer. (He deceived the public into thinking that Charles Dickens and Fyodor Dostoyevsky met once and created several online personas and an entire fake community of academics.)
I didn't realize Dickens and Dostoyevsky were such dedicated internet trolls!
Dickens totally would have been.
Just think what Wilde would have done.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 13554
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by Ellie »

Just a typo, but one of my coworkers has an email autoreply saying, "I will be out of office begging July 1 through July 8."
"Ellie is the Warren of comedy." -Shem
User avatar
Warren
Posts: 30384
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by Warren »

Ellie wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 11:02 Just a typo, but one of my coworkers has an email autoreply saying, "I will be out of office begging July 1 through July 8."
I feel ya coworker. I've begged for dates myself. Pro tip, it never ends well.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 13554
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by Ellie »

I desperately miss being blonde, but it destroyed my hair so badly last time (never mind costing $$$$$ that we don't have in order to maintain it) that I've been thinking about getting a blonde wig to try to sooth my troubled tonsorial soul. Anyway, I joined a wig group on Facebook and it is surprising and hilarious how very very many times people typo while talking about it.

What kind of shampoo should I use on my wogs?
I really like the wog on the left
You have to buy from a reliable wog manufacturer
"Ellie is the Warren of comedy." -Shem
User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 20610
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Ellie wrote: 13 Jul 2019, 09:32 I desperately miss being blonde, but it destroyed my hair so badly last time (never mind costing $$$$$ that we don't have in order to maintain it) that I've been thinking about getting a blonde wig to try to sooth my troubled tonsorial soul. Anyway, I joined a wig group on Facebook and it is surprising and hilarious how very very many times people typo while talking about it.

What kind of shampoo should I use on my wogs?
I really like the wog on the left
You have to buy from a reliable wog manufacturer
Are you sure you didn't join a group of 1980s Brits complaining about the immigrant servant problem?
User avatar
Warren
Posts: 30384
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by Warren »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 13 Jul 2019, 11:35
Ellie wrote: 13 Jul 2019, 09:32 I desperately miss being blonde, but it destroyed my hair so badly last time (never mind costing $$$$$ that we don't have in order to maintain it) that I've been thinking about getting a blonde wig to try to sooth my troubled tonsorial soul. Anyway, I joined a wig group on Facebook and it is surprising and hilarious how very very many times people typo while talking about it.

What kind of shampoo should I use on my wogs?
I really like the wog on the left
You have to buy from a reliable wog manufacturer
Are you sure you didn't join a group of 1980s Brits complaining about the immigrant servant problem?
I thought she was on a navy vessel, preparing to cross the equator.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 19168
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by lunchstealer »

Ellie wrote: 13 Jul 2019, 09:32
You have to buy from a reliable wog manufacturer
Look for the label, "MADE IN CALAIS"
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
User avatar
Andrew
Posts: 7110
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 21:52
Location: Vale of Eternal Fire

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by Andrew »

lunchstealer wrote: 14 Jul 2019, 15:55
Ellie wrote: 13 Jul 2019, 09:32
You have to buy from a reliable wog manufacturer
Look for the label, "MADE IN CALAIS"
Nice.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex
User avatar
Kolohe
Posts: 14713
Joined: 06 May 2010, 10:51

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by Kolohe »


Jeffrey Epstein attorneys will argue for bail today and cited his "spotless 14-year record of walking the straight arrow." https://t.co/6MjkEgHk1S via @usatoday
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 17457
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by Aresen »

Kolohe wrote: 15 Jul 2019, 13:04
Jeffrey Epstein attorneys will argue for bail today and cited his "spotless 14-year record of walking the straight arrow." https://t.co/6MjkEgHk1S via @usatoday
So many tasteless jokes....
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 13554
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by Ellie »

Seen on Twitter: "Uh oh. A reader offended that I called Trump supporters racist has threatened to sue me for 'liable.'"
"Ellie is the Warren of comedy." -Shem
User avatar
Dangerman
Posts: 7045
Joined: 07 May 2010, 12:26

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by Dangerman »

I don't know if this is lion-towing, but I heard 'it's not cast in stone' today, and it sounds really wrong.
User avatar
Warren
Posts: 30384
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by Warren »

Dangerman wrote: 20 Jul 2019, 11:51 I don't know if this is lion-towing, but I heard 'it's not cast in stone' today, and it sounds really wrong.
It's a common error.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 20610
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Warren wrote: 20 Jul 2019, 13:10
Dangerman wrote: 20 Jul 2019, 11:51 I don't know if this is lion-towing, but I heard 'it's not cast in stone' today, and it sounds really wrong.
It's a common error.
It's a piece of pie. It's as easy as cake.
User avatar
Wixenstyx
Posts: 455
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 12:43
Location: St. Louis, MO
Contact:

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by Wixenstyx »

Is 'It's not set in stone' in the same vein? If so, I'm guilty of that one.
Perhaps the greatest loss of all is that we may never again live in a world free of hyperbole. --JasonL
User avatar
Dangerman
Posts: 7045
Joined: 07 May 2010, 12:26

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by Dangerman »

Well, set in stone makes sense, but you don't cast stone, you cast metal or concrete.
User avatar
Warren
Posts: 30384
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by Warren »

Dangerman wrote: 20 Jul 2019, 19:33 Well, set in stone makes sense, but you don't cast stone, you cast metal or concrete.
But set in stone is still wrong because 'permanency' is the intended concept.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 17457
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by Aresen »

Warren wrote: 20 Jul 2019, 19:44
Dangerman wrote: 20 Jul 2019, 19:33 Well, set in stone makes sense, but you don't cast stone, you cast metal or concrete.
But set in stone is still wrong because 'permanency' is the intended concept.
I believe 'set in stone' comes from the time when permanent works were stones set in place, either shaped to fit the form or stones held together with mortar.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
User avatar
Kolohe
Posts: 14713
Joined: 06 May 2010, 10:51

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by Kolohe »

Dangerman wrote: 20 Jul 2019, 19:33 Well, set in stone makes sense, but you don't cast stone, you cast metal or concrete.
Or cast spells. Or in Brooklyn, cast The Nets.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
Post Reply