I just don't get it

Aresen

Re: I just don't get it

Post by Aresen »

nicole wrote: 27 Dec 2019, 10:02 People who complain that bathroom stall doors don't go all the way to the floor. How am I supposed to know if it's actually in use? Are you actually saying trying to open the door when someone is inside would be preferable?
There's a solution for that:

If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

nicole wrote: 27 Dec 2019, 10:02 People who complain that bathroom stall doors don't go all the way to the floor. How am I supposed to know if it's actually in use? Are you actually saying trying to open the door when someone is inside would be preferable?
IIRC Mo suggested the all the way to the floor design used in the UK has ... ventilation problems.
Warren

Post by Warren »

That's solvable with little flags tied to the slide lock. But I'm still WTF? Why in the name of Galt's green earth do people want to be completely isolated in a tiny box when they're evacuating their bowls? Like people wall off the commode in their homes. It's considered a feature! Seriously, I get that you want privacy. I personally could do with less privacy (and please lets start adopting unisex bathrooms) but what is the issue here? That strangers might get a glimpse of your panties down around your ankles? That's the embarrassing horror you can't abide? Really?
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
Warren

Post by Warren »

Aresen wrote: 27 Dec 2019, 10:07 There's a solution for that:
Those doors don't go to the floor. Also, where's the TP?
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
Jake

Post by Jake »

Warren wrote: 27 Dec 2019, 10:40
Aresen wrote: 27 Dec 2019, 10:07 There's a solution for that:
Those doors don't go to the floor. Also, where's the TP?
He doesn't know how to use the three seashells!
"One doesn't want to be a Chicken Little but OTOH does the sky look closer to you? It looks closer to me." -- Warren
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Warren wrote: 27 Dec 2019, 10:38
That's solvable with little flags tied to the slide lock. But I'm still WTF? Why in the name of Galt's green earth do people want to be completely isolated in a tiny box when they're evacuating their bowls? Like people wall off the commode in their homes. It's considered a feature! Seriously, I get that you want privacy. I personally could do with less privacy (and please lets start adopting unisex bathrooms) but what is the issue here? That strangers might get a glimpse of your panties down around your ankles? That's the embarrassing horror you can't abide? Really?
My freshman dorms had pony walls between the toilets but no doors, I think to discourage horny teens from fucking in the stalls, but the flaw in this plan was that the toilets were along one wall and the sinks, with mirrors, that people had to use to do not-poop-related hygiene and grooming activities, like shaving, and worse toothbrushing, were on the opposite wall. The sounds and smells are not pleasant. Just because something is natural doesn't mean it is fun to share. Even dogs who cheerfully eat their own shit still have the sense to look embarrassed when they're taking a shit in broad view.

But if you're going to do the closed WC thing, it should have its own vent fan intake and should preferably have a small wash basin inside so you don't have to open the door with a hand that may've gotten ... shitty. But the primary reason I'd appreciate one is to have the main bathroom as an airlock between the poopstation and the rest of the world.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

thoreau wrote: 26 Dec 2019, 18:07 The actor who played Peloton Husband actually gave his real-life girlfriend a Peloton for Christmas.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-a ... as-present

Dude has cojones, gotta give him that.
With all the gyms shutting down, this guy looks like a fucking genius now.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
Mo

Post by Mo »

JasonL wrote: 27 Dec 2019, 10:20
IIRC Mo suggested the all the way to the floor design used in the UK has ... ventilation problems.
All the way to the ceiling has ventilation problems. Poop smell rises.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Mo wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 11:18
JasonL wrote: 27 Dec 2019, 10:20
All the way to the ceiling has ventilation problems. Poop smell rises.
Poop Smell Rises" would be a good title for a new Aimee Mann single.
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Until I read the replies I thought he meant, "We need to talk about what an unflattering picture this is." I will never understand what the people today are horny over. When did this *gestures at above tweet* become more attractive than this *gestures at Hugh Laurie in Blackadder Goes Forth*?
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD
nicole

Post by nicole »

hahahahahahhahhahha hard agree and i'm actually kind of dismayed to see the tweeter is older than me, because i was fully prepared to blame this on the incomprehensibility of zoomers
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

He looks like fourth place in a Dan Bilzarian lookalike contest that Bilzarian couldn't be bothered to attend.
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

I don't get people who choose to move into a van-down-by-the-river with their dog(s). When it's hot or cold (especially hot) you either can never go anywhere WITHOUT the dog, or you have to invest in some incredibly complicated setup with an AC and a battery bank and a cell phone alert in case a circuit breaker trips ... and even then somebody might think your pet is roasting and break the van window. Plus, subjecting yourself to shedding and dog farts in such a tiny space? Why?
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Ellie wrote: 19 Sep 2020, 23:50 I don't get people who choose to move into a van-down-by-the-river with their dog(s). When it's hot or cold (especially hot) you either can never go anywhere WITHOUT the dog, or you have to invest in some incredibly complicated setup with an AC and a battery bank and a cell phone alert in case a circuit breaker trips ... and even then somebody might think your pet is roasting and break the van window. Plus, subjecting yourself to shedding and dog farts in such a tiny space? Why?
Maybe a little doghouse in the shade in hot weather? They'd have to be in a chain or something, I imagine.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Ellie wrote: 19 Sep 2020, 23:50 Why?
'Cause the name of the song isn't Me and You.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
dhex

Post by dhex »

Ellie wrote: 19 Sep 2020, 23:50 I don't get people who choose to move into a van-down-by-the-river with their dog(s). When it's hot or cold (especially hot) you either can never go anywhere WITHOUT the dog, or you have to invest in some incredibly complicated setup with an AC and a battery bank and a cell phone alert in case a circuit breaker trips ... and even then somebody might think your pet is roasting and break the van window. Plus, subjecting yourself to shedding and dog farts in such a tiny space? Why?
You probs need more heroin to understand their decision tree.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

I'm thinking particularly of the people who spend $10,000+ on an Instagrammable hashtag-vanlife build. Maybe they're doing Oxy.
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

What are the chances any of them read Steinbeck beyond what's assigned in school?
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

What are the chances that they actually live in their vans rather than a few times a year for camping and such? And of course to also post their van by the river photos on instawhatever.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
JD

Post by JD »

Ellie wrote: 19 Sep 2020, 23:50 I don't get people who choose to move into a van-down-by-the-river with their dog(s).
I am informed that some homeless or semi-homeless people who have dogs do so because it makes it harder for the cops to fuck with them: the cops can't just arrest them without also calling animal control, waiting for them to show up, etc. Probably also a lot of what dhex said, though.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Not just cops; would-be assailants in general will more often than not pass on someone with a medium to large dog.
Jake

Post by Jake »

And it's a heartstring-tugging marketing aid when you're sitting around with a cardboard sign at some intersection.
"One doesn't want to be a Chicken Little but OTOH does the sky look closer to you? It looks closer to me." -- Warren
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Also, you know at least one living thing on the planet gives a shit about you.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Eric the .5b wrote: 21 Sep 2020, 16:03 Also, you know at least one living thing on the planet gives a shit about you.
When I've gamed out van-down-by-the-river scenarios for myself, this is where I might not make a smart decision. Any scenario like this means my wife has passed, and I'd be really torn between getting a dog to fight the loneliness vs life without a dog being much simpler, cheaper and easier.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
Warren

Post by Warren »

I think I read somewhere that some people keep their dogs outside.