I just don't get it

Ellie

Re: I just don't get it

Post by Ellie »

lunchstealer wrote: 20 Sep 2020, 20:01 What are the chances any of them read Steinbeck beyond what's assigned in school?
Jake wrote: 21 Sep 2020, 15:56 And it's a heartstring-tugging marketing aid when you're sitting around with a cardboard sign at some intersection.
That reminds me of a pretty good memoir I read called "Travels With Elizabeth" about a guy being homeless for a while with his dog. He was annoyed at first because he thought he'd be purposefully hiking all over creation but didn't realize humans can walk a lot further in a day than dogs can. He also mentioned that people were constantly giving him money "to buy food for your dog" even when he wasn't actively panhandling.
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD
JD

Post by JD »

Ellie wrote: 21 Sep 2020, 19:16 he thought he'd be purposefully hiking all over creation but didn't realize humans can walk a lot further in a day than dogs can.
Humans are rare among animals in being very good at long-distance travel. There are some other animals that do it, to be sure, but humans are rare in being able to keep up a decent walk for hours and hours, day after day. ISTR reading somewhere that while obviously horses can run a lot faster than humans can, over multi-day journeys they're not any faster than a person on foot; the Pony Express only got its speed by having stations only ten miles apart!
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Traveller is very anti-pet right now. Since the kids murdered one of the dogs with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich that is.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

JD wrote: 21 Sep 2020, 20:29
Ellie wrote: 21 Sep 2020, 19:16 he thought he'd be purposefully hiking all over creation but didn't realize humans can walk a lot further in a day than dogs can.
Humans are rare among animals in being very good at long-distance travel. There are some other animals that do it, to be sure, but humans are rare in being able to keep up a decent walk for hours and hours, day after day. ISTR reading somewhere that while obviously horses can run a lot faster than humans can, over multi-day journeys they're not any faster than a person on foot; the Pony Express only got its speed by having stations only ten miles apart!
Over long enough distances, humans can outrun pretty much any land animal, even cheetahs or gazelles. Our ancestors on the savannas hunted via something called "persistence predation" (which I've geeked out about before): in the short term, many animals are far faster than we are -- plenty who'd beat us in a hundred-yard dash, though we'd beat them all in marathons -- but thanks to us using perspiration as a cooldown mechanism (which we evolved in the semiarid African savannas as opposed to the bullshit steam rooms of Georgia), rather than the various methods used by other animals, we can keep trudging along tracking that animal, long after exhaustion has forced the prey animal to stop for a break. From the animals' perspective, being hunted by early humans would've been like us being hunted by zombies: yeah, they're really slow and sluggish, but they NEVER GET TIRED and they NEVER STOP COMING AFTER YOU.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 21 Sep 2020, 21:10 Traveller is very anti-pet right now. Since the kids murdered one of the dogs with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich that is.
What?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Old story. Pretty sure I posted it on here years ago. First dog had liver failure from the processed sugar in the jelly. The kids didnt mean to do it.

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Jennifer wrote: 21 Sep 2020, 22:14 From the animals' perspective, being hunted by early humans would've been like us being hunted by zombies: yeah, they're really slow and sluggish, but they NEVER GET TIRED and they NEVER STOP COMING AFTER YOU.
Sort of like politicians.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 21 Sep 2020, 22:30 Old story. Pretty sure I posted it on here years ago. First dog had liver failure from the processed sugar in the jelly. The kids didnt mean to do it.
So the kids negligently manslaughtered the dog, is what you're saying.
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Xylitol is a hell of a drug.
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD
nicole

Post by nicole »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 21 Sep 2020, 22:30 Old story. Pretty sure I posted it on here years ago. First dog had liver failure from the processed sugar in the jelly. The kids didnt mean to do it.
I must have misread your earlier post. You said this turned her against...pets?
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Sorry to hear again about your dog. That's gotta suck.

nicole wrote: 22 Sep 2020, 10:23

Oxytocin and fear of dying alone are a helluva drug.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

nicole wrote: 22 Sep 2020, 10:23
She doesnt want anymore pets til the kids are old enough to understand the consequences of their actions. Which means no pets forever. I made a joke about how the hell did we get a pass to have pets then and is their a test you have to pass. The joke did not go over well.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Jadagul wrote: 22 Sep 2020, 00:36
So the kids negligently manslaughtered the dog, is what you're saying.
That's for, like, society and the courts to decide, man.

Warren

Post by Warren »

An eye for an eye. Death by Smucker's!
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

There is much Slack discussion today about the area wildfires. I get mourning the of life, and the mourning of poor decisionmaking to build woodframe homes in fireprone areas, but what I don't get is people sharing pics of fire-ravaged woodlands and reacting as if it were something to be sad about.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Hugh Akston wrote: 23 Oct 2020, 12:20 There is much Slack discussion today about the area wildfires. I get mourning the of life, and the mourning of poor decisionmaking to build woodframe homes in fireprone areas, but what I don't get is people sharing pics of fire-ravaged woodlands and reacting as if it were something to be sad about.
over-ravaged forest lands is pretty bad. These things shouldn't be taking out adult trees. There's a burn scar southwest of Denver where the fire burned too hot and instead of causing all the lodgepole seeds to germinate, it burned them and sterilized a good chunk of the soil so barely anything has managed to grow back in over two decades.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Painboy

Post by Painboy »

Hugh Akston wrote: 23 Oct 2020, 12:20 There is much Slack discussion today about the area wildfires. I get mourning the of life, and the mourning of poor decisionmaking to build woodframe homes in fireprone areas, but what I don't get is people sharing pics of fire-ravaged woodlands and reacting as if it were something to be sad about.
Like we're hurting the Earth mother and stuff dude.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

lunchstealer wrote: 23 Oct 2020, 17:45
over-ravaged forest lands is pretty bad. These things shouldn't be taking out adult trees. There's a burn scar southwest of Denver where the fire burned too hot and instead of causing all the lodgepole seeds to germinate, it burned them and sterilized a good chunk of the soil so barely anything has managed to grow back in over two decades.
I was going to post something similar -- "normal" wildfires only burn the stuff on the ground; they don't get into the tree crowns and kill full-grown trees. These latest fires are much hotter and fiercer than what the flora out west evolved to handle.