How's the weather? v. 1.1

Hugh Akston

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Hugh Akston »

Aresen wrote: 17 Jan 2020, 13:56
"Not available in your country"
Get a better country?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Warren

Post by Warren »

It's a frozen shit storm out there.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

66 and humid as fuck. Temperatures are starting to drop, though.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Hugh Akston wrote: 17 Jan 2020, 14:32
Aresen wrote: 17 Jan 2020, 13:56
"Not available in your country"
Get a better country?
Well, a different country, anyway. One with more Key and Peele on the Youtubes.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Today was the day I officially lost my northerner's acclimation to the cold. Sunny, 40 degrees, light wind, I went out warmly dressed and felt perfectly comfortable -- except after awhile, my earlobes and the tip of my nose got a bit of that coldness-sting I haven't felt since I lived up north (and under MUCH colder conditions, too).
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Sunny and crisp right now (48 degrees, winds ENE at 5 mph, 22 percent humidity per weather dot com) -- which of course inspires a "special weather statement" warning of fire danger because of such "low" humidity for four consecutive hours.

I seriously wonder if there's something about the local flora wherein, they're so acclimated to super-humid conditions that only a few hours of moderately dry air is all it takes for everything to dry out to tinderbox status.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Wednesday will be the first day at or above 90 degrees. Saturday or Sunday will be the first 100-degree day.

In other words, after a very pleasant March and April, it's about to get hot quickly. I hope heat really does diminish the infection rate of covid so there's at least one upside.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Sometime around ten or eleven last night, I shut the windows and turned on the AC; first time we paid for climate control since sometime late last autumn.
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Ah, Mid Atlantic summer humidity, how did I not miss you!
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
Highway

Post by Highway »

Kolohe wrote: 28 May 2020, 14:41 Ah, Mid Atlantic summer humidity, how did I not miss you!
My house windows have been covered in condensation all day.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

111 tomorrow, 108 Saturday, and 110 Sunday. Quite the weekend.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex
Highway

Post by Highway »

Had a Tornado Warning here today for a pretty small section of the county where I am, so I figured it was at least worth taking the precaution of moving to the basement for the 10 minutes the Warning was up. First time I've been worried enough to do that.

But the weather has been terrible here pretty much all summer. This last month it's like this area's turned into a subtropical area. Highs in the mid-80s to mid-90s every day, and way more humid than I remember it being. And before that in July it was just straight up hotter than usual with normal mid-atlantic humidity, so just an uncomfortable summer all around.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Highs in the mid-90s tomorrow and Sunday, high 80s to 90 on Monday, 40 on Tuesday with a chance of snow overnight.

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

lunchstealer wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 14:59 Highs in the mid-90s tomorrow and Sunday, high 80s to 90 on Monday, 40 on Tuesday with a chance of snow overnight.
I don't envy the extreme and sudden changes, and I always disliked the nuisance of shoveling and scraping ice and heating bills and all that, but even so ... sigh. I really miss snow.
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

We won't have to shovel this time, not with a week of around 90. Ground is way too warm.

Snow now more likely. High tomorrow ~90, overnight low ~32.

Tuesday there's very likely to be white flakes falling from the sky.

Currently there are white flakes falling from the sky.

Two huge wildfires up in the mountains have us smelling smoke and dribbling flecks of ash on us from 80 to 100 miles away.

Colorado is taking the 2020 vibe seriously.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

You gotta live practically next to the mountains. Clear sunny skies without a hint of ash or smoke.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

It was 85 degrees here yesterday, but the humidity was less than a zillion percent, so I guess that means summer is finally weakening his grip on this part of the country. Within six weeks or so, I might even be able to turn off the AC!
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 07 Sep 2020, 11:01 You gotta live practically next to the mountains. Clear sunny skies without a hint of ash or smoke.
Huh, must be nice. Out here in the prairie wastes, we got about four hours of clear air maybe Saturday, I think? But right now it's all brown murk, and still a bunch of flecks of ash today when I went to the store around noon.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

You had your chance to live down the street from me. This is on you.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
Jake

Post by Jake »

We just got a bunch of smoke and ash here in Fruitbatopia, too, which is odd, as the fires are to our east, but the wind normally comes from the west. Signs and portents, I reckon.
"One doesn't want to be a Chicken Little but OTOH does the sky look closer to you? It looks closer to me." -- Warren
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Jake wrote: 08 Sep 2020, 00:35 We just got a bunch of smoke and ash here in Fruitbatopia, too, which is odd, as the fires are to our east, but the wind normally comes from the west. Signs and portents, I reckon.
I was going to post a question to you yesterday, but some crap got in the way. But I've read that the fires in Oregon are spreading "up the I-5 corridor," and I know I-5 goes through your town which I won't name here. But I also know Oregon, like Georgia, is a big-ass state. How far are the actual flames from you? And, not trying to sound paranoid, but you DO have a "bugout bag" packed just in case? Important papers, valuables, any vital medications your household requires, etc.?
Jake

Post by Jake »

One fire is about twenty miles south, but the wind direction and terrain aren't going to be conducive for it to threaten Cottage Grove. The other, more dangerous one is about eighteen miles NNE (or at least the closest edge of the "evacuate now!" zone is). Since the wind is pushing it westward (which is unusual 'round these parts; the wind normally goes from west to east) it looks like we're gonna be okay... aside from expected power outages once the fire burns through the major lines that supply our county.

(Here's the map I've been watching; Cottage Grove is south of Eugene, roughly between the two big fires in that area.)

I've got a small strongbox next to me that contains all of our vital papers, and bags ready to be packed. I'll be topping off the gas tanks in both vehicles today as well; if we get any indication that the fire might be looking in our direction, we'll have bags and emergency supplies packed and loaded in the minivan within 30 minutes, and they can just sit there unless and until we need to go. If we then actually get an evacuation order, all we'll have left to do is unplug our computers and carry them out the door with us. (We've got four drivers licenses in the family, so depending on the smoke I may also ride my motorcycle out. Too smoky, though, and it stays behind... it's not worth the risk in low visibility.)
"One doesn't want to be a Chicken Little but OTOH does the sky look closer to you? It looks closer to me." -- Warren
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Good to hear. Don't forget to pack a pair of sturdy shoes plus multiple socks for everyone in your household, or maybe go ahead and put them in the trunk of your car now, just in case it so happens you need to leave rather suddenly, in the middle of the night, and the usual bedroom slippers or flip-flops or crocs you might slip on just long enough to, like, go out to grab the mail or move the garbage cans, are not good footwear in the event of an evacuation, nor good for "these are literally the only shoes I currently have available to me." And, to shave some time off those 30 minutes, you might want to go ahead and pack "non-steal-worthy" stuff in your vehicles (at least the trunk or other "not visible to potential thieves peeping through the windows") -- obviously don't put your important papers, or things like the family silver/your cache of emergency cash/electronics or anything a typical thief would steal to illicitly resell, but stuff like shoes, clothes, basic pillows and bedding (assuming you have enough extra to pack some in your cars and still have enough for actual home beds), etc. And if you leave remember to have at least three days' worth of food, water and other supplies with you.
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Man looking at the before/after imagery I wouldn't have guessed that Phoenix/whatsit would be in the kind of urban/wilderness interface that would let a fire burn right into town like that. Keep safe, kids.

Jake

Post by Jake »

As president of the League of Oregon Cities, 72 hours ago my organization represented 241 cities... which was every city in Oregon. Now we represent 236 cities... which is still every city in Oregon.

This is awful.