How's the weather? v. 1.1

User avatar
Jake
Posts: 2839
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:38

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Jake »

On Sunday night it started snowing. This, in itself, isn't unusual; we get a little bit of snow once or twice a year, usually. Maybe an inch or two.

Except it kept snowing. A lot. Got around 14" at my house, which is more than I've ever seen 'round these parts. And then the power went out. Turns out, the record snow brought down a lot of trees, and with them, power lines. They also blocked roads, making it harder for repair crews to get to where they need to go.

It's now Tuesday afternoon. The power is still out, along with cell service. We have a gas stove, so we've been spending much of our time in the kitchen, boiling water for hot drinks (and, as a useful side effect, to keep the room warm).

We'll be fine; we're pretty well-prepared, overall, and being able to escape is certainly a morale-booster (I was finally able to get my minivan out of the neighborhood and to the Interstate today, and am now sitting on the University of Oregon campus, charging my laptop, my phone, and my external battery phone charger thingie). But it's a weird feeling, being so cut off from the rest of the world.
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 16959
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Aresen »

Ugh. Good luck, Jake. Long periods without power suck. OTOH, think of it as practice for when the barbarians return.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Solitudinarian
Posts: 392
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:06

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Solitudinarian »

Is the whole town out or just your neighborhood? This, by the way, would be a perfect time to open the Amarone — warms the blood or something.
“I have no Message to reveal. But later on––Who knows?––I might.”

“A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.”

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 25647
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Jennifer »

I can empathize, as I still remember spending six days in the dark at the beginning of what turned out to be my last winter in Connecticut.

For future reference: if you don't have a fireplace or similar "no utilities necessary" ways of heating your house, you CAN use metal-cup tealight candles and metal coffee cans (or similar things) to make makeshift space heaters. That's what I did, so that Jeff and I wouldn't have to move into the middle-school gym for the duration.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 18598
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by lunchstealer »

Did that with Hugo. We were out of power for about a week. Of course, the weather after Hugo moved through was actually kinda spectacular - not even really hot or cold.

Downside was we didn't have gas appliances so we couldn't just cook whatever we wanted. Upside we had a gas mechanical water heater and the city managed to get water service back up pretty quickly, so I could have a hot shower and a shave, which goes a long way towards making one feel civilized. And we did a lot of camping so we had a two-burner coleman stove and a bunch of appropriate foods, so it was of limited hardship.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

User avatar
Jake
Posts: 2839
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:38

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Jake »

Turns out we were only without power for a couple of days, so we're now back to our standard level of hedonistic heat-having. Yay! :)
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 16959
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Aresen »

Jake wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 01:36
Turns out we were only without power for a couple of days, so we're now back to our standard level of hedonistic heat-having. Yay! :)
Heatitude and warmiosity are good things! :D
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 29682
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Warren »

Oh man. Look if your "Stranded without heat" story doesn't at least get to the point where you're eating the dead, it's not worth telling.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Solitudinarian
Posts: 392
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:06

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Solitudinarian »

Warren wrote:
03 Mar 2019, 14:38
Oh man. Look if your "Stranded without heat" story doesn't at least get to the point where you're eating the dead, it's not worth telling.
With mayonnaise, presumably.
“I have no Message to reveal. But later on––Who knows?––I might.”

“A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.”

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 18598
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by lunchstealer »

Solitudinarian wrote:
Warren wrote:
03 Mar 2019, 14:38
Oh man. Look if your "Stranded without heat" story doesn't at least get to the point where you're eating the dead, it's not worth telling.
With mayonnaise, presumably.
If you’ve got the other fixins for BLTs you’re not in a situation where cannibalism is called for.

If you’re using mayo on anything else, you deserve to be the one on the menu.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 29682
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Warren »

lunchstealer wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 05:09
Solitudinarian wrote:
Warren wrote:
03 Mar 2019, 14:38
Oh man. Look if your "Stranded without heat" story doesn't at least get to the point where you're eating the dead, it's not worth telling.
With mayonnaise, presumably.
If you’ve got the other fixins for BLTs you’re not in a situation where cannibalism is called for.

If you’re using mayo on anything else, you deserve to be the one on the menu.
Piffle. You can't make decent chicken salad without mayonnaise. Or coleslaw. Or a dozen other excellent dishes.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Dangerman
Posts: 6934
Joined: 07 May 2010, 12:26

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Dangerman »

We got 8"-10" but it's so warm today that it's settled to about 4" already. And it's obviously super heavy although not sticky so northeast NE still has power etc. Snowstorms and fresh snow are the only redeeming qualities of winter so I'm ok for now.

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 13730
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Highway »

It snowed all afternoon yesterday, but since the temperature was over 35 the whole time, it just ended up being decorative flocking on the grass and vehicles.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 16959
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Aresen »

Snow = 'the devil's dandruff'
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 18598
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by lunchstealer »

Warren wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 12:21
lunchstealer wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 05:09
Solitudinarian wrote:
Warren wrote:
03 Mar 2019, 14:38
Oh man. Look if your "Stranded without heat" story doesn't at least get to the point where you're eating the dead, it's not worth telling.
With mayonnaise, presumably.
If you’ve got the other fixins for BLTs you’re not in a situation where cannibalism is called for.

If you’re using mayo on anything else, you deserve to be the one on the menu.
Piffle. You can't make decent chicken salad without mayonnaise. Or coleslaw. Or a dozen other excellent dishes.
I've had tolerable coleslaw, and chicken salad, but they're not things that I'd go out of my way for. And if you're eating the dead, are you really going to pull out the mayo and relish to make human salad?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 29682
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Warren »

lunchstealer wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 19:05
Warren wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 12:21
lunchstealer wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 05:09
Solitudinarian wrote:
Warren wrote:
03 Mar 2019, 14:38
Oh man. Look if your "Stranded without heat" story doesn't at least get to the point where you're eating the dead, it's not worth telling.
With mayonnaise, presumably.
If you’ve got the other fixins for BLTs you’re not in a situation where cannibalism is called for.

If you’re using mayo on anything else, you deserve to be the one on the menu.
Piffle. You can't make decent chicken salad without mayonnaise. Or coleslaw. Or a dozen other excellent dishes.
I've had tolerable coleslaw, and chicken salad, but they're not things that I'd go out of my way for. And if you're eating the dead, are you really going to pull out the mayo and relish to make human salad?
Being stranded in a blizzard is no excuse for barbarism.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 16959
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Aresen »

lunchstealer wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 19:05
Warren wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 12:21
lunchstealer wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 05:09
Solitudinarian wrote:
Warren wrote:
03 Mar 2019, 14:38
Oh man. Look if your "Stranded without heat" story doesn't at least get to the point where you're eating the dead, it's not worth telling.
With mayonnaise, presumably.
If you’ve got the other fixins for BLTs you’re not in a situation where cannibalism is called for.

If you’re using mayo on anything else, you deserve to be the one on the menu.
Piffle. You can't make decent chicken salad without mayonnaise. Or coleslaw. Or a dozen other excellent dishes.
I've had tolerable coleslaw, and chicken salad, but they're not things that I'd go out of my way for. And if you're eating the dead, are you really going to pull out the mayo and relish to make human salad?
The only proper way To Serve Man is slow roasted on a spit over a open fire (hardwood fuel preferably) 3 - 6 hours (depending on weight and BMI). Baste frequently with drippings seasoned with garlic, basil and zest of orange. Side vegetables should be pan-fried potatoes, corn on the cob and asparagus spears. Recommend a Chardonnay (2003) or a Merlot (2009).
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 13212
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Ellie »

What about Taco Bell sauce packets?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 048665002/
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 19455
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Hugh Akston »

Ellie wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 20:28
What about Taco Bell sauce packets?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 048665002/
Yes. The order of survival is 1) Taco Bell sauce packets, 2) cannibalism, 3) a torturous drawn-out death by starvation, 4) chicken salad made with mayonnaise.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

User avatar
Tuco
Posts: 304
Joined: 18 Feb 2017, 21:00

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Tuco »

Hugh Akston wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 22:32
Ellie wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 20:28
What about Taco Bell sauce packets?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 048665002/
Yes. The order of survival is 1) Taco Bell sauce packets, 2) cannibalism, 3) a torturous drawn-out death by starvation, 4) chicken salad made with mayonnaise.
Sounds about right.

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 14824
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Eric the .5b »

It's sunny, but It keeps dipping down to freezing overnight. Supposed to be up toward 80 in a few days, which will be annoying due to my AC being out.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

User avatar
Andrew
Posts: 7110
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 21:52
Location: Vale of Eternal Fire

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Andrew »

80 and sunny today. Hard to complain about March weather here.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 16959
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Aresen »

Andrew wrote:
05 Mar 2019, 21:31
80 and sunny today. Hard to complain about March weather here.
O shut up!
Central Saanich, BC Weather
Updated on Tue Mar 5 7:05 PM

36°F
FEELS LIKE 32°F

A few clouds

If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 13730
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Highway »

Tomorrow our high is supposed to be 28. Low of 17 tonight.

Average high this date: 50.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 19455
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Hugh Akston »

Aresen wrote:
05 Mar 2019, 22:24
Andrew wrote:
05 Mar 2019, 21:31
80 and sunny today. Hard to complain about March weather here.
O shut up!
Central Saanich, BC Weather
Updated on Tue Mar 5 7:05 PM

36°F
FEELS LIKE 32°F

A few clouds
I assume the Mounties are en route to politely correct you for citing the wrong temperature scale.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Post Reply