Ladyfashun

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Jennifer

Re: Ladyfashun

Post by Jennifer » 01 Nov 2019, 23:15

Eric the .5b wrote:
01 Nov 2019, 22:42
Jennifer wrote:
01 Nov 2019, 14:48
Serious, related observation: no WONDER lifelong Deep Southerners are so appalled at the very idea of living in the sort of climate you'd find anywhere north of maybe Delaware...
Humidity is no joke. Chilly and cold weather is just nasty when it's wet.

There should be some drier weather headed your way from my neck of the woods, though.
Yeah, today was just as cold but reasonably dry (by local standards) and also sunny, and it was almost as nice as up north. (But when we went out after dark to see a "lantern parade," I did make a point of wearing more and warmer clothes under the blazer.)

Unfortunately, we tend to have more damp days than dry ones here. And even with my newfound (post-Atlanta) knowledge about which fabrics to avoid and which to embrace to decrease the discomfort of high humidity, it seems to be one of the few climate-and-clothes related matters where cold weather is actually a bigger problem than hot. Because even wearing the right fabrics to keep your skin dry, the dampness makes the chill sink in to you in a way that dry chill never does.

Also at the parade I amused myself by watching the crowd and guessing who was a southern native and who a northern transplant based on their clothes -- the ones wearing things like full-fledged quilted fur-lined coats and scarves and hats, etc. with dryish temps in the high 40s or lower 50s, I'd guess were southern. People like me -- bare-headed, wearing at most a jacket or blazer as a visible sop to the cold (though you can't tell by looking who is or isn't wearing thermals) -- were likely northern transplants.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 02 Nov 2019, 03:07

Ferreals it's the humidity that makes me hate returning to the east/south/Texas from Colorado.

When I was more comfortable at 20 in Colorado than I had been at 40 in Dallas, within 10 days of the move, so not after acclimatization or anything, I realized that humidity is the mind killer. Likewise 95 in the shade in Colorado is more pleasant than 80 in the shade in Dallas.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 02 Nov 2019, 11:47

lunchstealer wrote:
02 Nov 2019, 03:07
Ferreals it's the humidity that makes me hate returning to the east/south/Texas from Colorado.

When I was more comfortable at 20 in Colorado than I had been at 40 in Dallas, within 10 days of the move, so not after acclimatization or anything, I realized that humidity is the mind killer. Likewise 95 in the shade in Colorado is more pleasant than 80 in the shade in Dallas.
Yeah, when things here are relatively dry it's pretty obvious that even after 3+ years I'm still far more "northern" acclimated than my neighbors and other locals (some of whom will wear winter gear when temperatures are only in the low 70s. Which baffles me -- I honestly don't understand how any member of the species homo sapiens, whose standard non-feverish body temperature is somewhere in the 96- to 98-degree range, can wear THAT much heat-retaining clothing in THAT air temperature and not get seriously overheated). But when the temperature is anywhere from "just above freezing" to "the uppermost 50s" AND the humidity is too high ... well, as I said already, I cannot figure out how to dress comfortably for that. The old principle "If it's too cold you can always put on another layer"" does not seem to apply, because the humidity chill somehow leaps over ALL of those layers and burrows right into your core.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 02 Nov 2019, 13:10

Oh, and regarding the official topic of this thread -- "fashion" rather than the heat- or humidity-retaining characteristics of various textiles -- I mentioned already that the corduroy blazer I've worn out these past two nights is one of the super-practical "journalism blazers" I bought in Connecticut (a distinctly different category from "blazers or suit jackets nice enough to wear to job interviews and the like," which in turn differs from "jackets and blazers I'd wear on social occasions," which in turn differs from a couple other categories in my closet). Don't remember exactly when and where I bought it, but I do recall it was still fairly new-to-me when Jeff and I went to Montreal for some sci-fi convention. And the only reason I remember that is because Jeff took some pictures of me wearing it, and it was one of the very few times I've used Photoshop to alter a picture, because the photo showed the blazer open enough to see that inside its front panel (or whatever the term is), there originally was a large, square white tag that looked glaringly obvious (and bad) against the dark blue of the blazer itself. So I 'shopped out the white square, and later (after returning home from the con) used a seam ripper to very carefully remove the tag itself.

That tag announced that the blazer came from "Sears -- The Fashion Place." Which, according to a just-now online search, was a clothing line from the mid-to-late 70s. That blazer is several years older than a significant number of the people on this forum.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 02 Nov 2019, 17:23

That's a sturdy blazer!

Though, practical journalism-wear from the 70s makes me think Kolchak and his hat. Which makes me wonder whether they make straw cloche hats - and they do. But maybe the original design, being vented to Hell and back, would work better in the sun...
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 02 Nov 2019, 21:37

Indeed, I have more respect for the blazer now that I know of its lengthy pedigree.

This struck me as mildly amusing: Jeff and I ran errands today including of course several thrift store visits, and I found more** really good blouses than usual (albeit made of cotton, rather than the rayon or linen I'm actively looking for), and I thought how weird it was that I'd find an unusual haul of autumn/early winter shirts rather than the haul of summer clothes I'd expect to find now that local summer has been over for a couple of weeks now -- until I remembered "Oh, right, even here most people think of cotton as a 'summer' rather than 'winter' fabric."

Also, while trying on one of the blouses -- like most of the button-on shirts I've bought these past few weeks, today's were all of the fitted, "tailored" cut with taken-in waists, rather than the straight-cut shirts that comprised the majority I've owned throughout my life -- I thought "No surprise, fitted shirts look a hell of a lot more flattering on me than straight-cut shirts. Why the hell didn't I wear these all along?" Then I remembered: until I moved to Georgia and made certain wardrobe adjustments for the climate, I almost never actually buttoned my button-on shirts, but wore most of them unbuttoned over a T-shirt or some other more form-fitting pullover, serving basically the same wardrobe function as a jacket or blazer: not something you wear by itself, but over another top.

Come to think of it, in my earliest days in Georgia, my first attempt at wardrobe alteration was "Wearing a loose and extra-lightweight linen shirt over a thin sleeveless husband-beater top," and it took me a couple weeks of unnecessary additional sweating before I finally figured out "It would be cooler still if I just button the damned overshirt and lose the undershirt entirely."

**Jeff made no thrift-shop scores today beyond a couple of books, and I felt bad for him having to cool his heels waiting for me to try on all those clothes ... but we more than made up for it later, when Jeff went nuts at Microcenter.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 03 Nov 2019, 13:49

Eric the .5b wrote:
02 Nov 2019, 17:23
Though, practical journalism-wear from the 70s makes me think Kolchak and his hat. Which makes me wonder whether they make straw cloche hats - and they do. But maybe the original design, being vented to Hell and back, would work better in the sun...
Heh, the only reason I have so many cloche hats is because they were the least-unflattering option I could find within the very narrow subcategory "Wool women's winter hats sold at Connecticut Target stores back in the day." I remember trying on the fedoras (or trilbys? Some smallish-brimmed style) first -- I liked those because the small feather sewn into the hatband was a peacock-eye, rather than the nondescript brown-and-black feather sewn on the cloches -- but something about the shape of that hat, and all of the brimmed-hat offerings in Target's women's accessories section, simply clashed with the shape of my face and head.

Regarding the wide-brimmed sun hats I have nowadays, I still haven't found one in the right shape to be truly flattering. (Although, oddly enough, the cheap black Halloween-store "1920s gangster hat" I bought for this year's party costume was quite flattering, especially with the rest of my outfit. Too bad it is not appropriate to wear in any other social situation, and too hot for summer use anyway.)

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 03 Nov 2019, 13:59

Also, regarding "ladyfashun" in general: I remember as a young teenager having one of those "Oh, wow!" insight moments, when I was reading some historical novel and came across my nth lifetime mention of milliners, millinery or a woman going to the milliner's: "Women in those days fussed over their hats the same way me and my friends fuss over our hair -- because depending on how its shape frames your face, that makes ALL the difference in whether you look good or not! An unflattering hat for this character is like a 'bad hair day' for me, only worse -- because tomorrow my hair might look good on me, but that particular hat still won't."

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 08 Nov 2019, 15:23

Ellie wrote:
20 May 2018, 18:30
I hate the cold-shoulder trend and it seems to be getting MORE popular lately. Nooooooooo
Trend/pop-culture sighting: there is a new adult cartoon called "Bless the Harts," which is one of Fox's Sunday-night animation offerings. The primary characters are a bunch of usually well-meaning, but fairly consistently dumb, rednecks living somewhere in Bumfuck, North Carolina: the main character is the divorced mother of a teenage girl, working as a buffet waitress and living with HER mother. The Grandma character is generally more dumb and less well-meaning than the other characters. (I've seen all four or five episodes so far but it hasn't made THAT much of an impression on me, judging by how I can't even remember the characters' names except for "Violet" the teenager.)

Anyway, only last night did I get around to watching last Sunday's episode, "Trash Twins," which starts out with Violet's mother and grandmother shopping at the "Mega Lo Mart" (presumably this is the same cartoon universe as King of the Hill) ... and Violet's Grandma wore a shirt with cold-shoulder sleeves.

I never would have known what to call that if not for this thread. But if a "trendy" fashion is now being sported by cartoon redneck grandmas, I'd guess its heyday has passed.

ETA: Just did an image search for the show -- huh, Grandma didn't just wear cold shoulders to Mega Lo Mart; she wears them all the time!