This is the thread for people who died, died.

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
lunchstealer

Re: This is the thread for people who died, died.

Post by lunchstealer »

dead_elvis wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 17:04 Air guitarists hardest hit.

Fuckin' A. Happy Trails, you made junior high rock*.

*within the overall context of junior high sucking donkey balls, of course
Added some rocking to offset the suck of junior high.

The first three cassette albums I bought were Yes 90125, The Cars Heartbeat City, and Van Halen II.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

VanHalen was never all that high in my personal rock pantheon, but there was no denying that Eddie was an incredible musician, and among the best rock guitar players ever. (Surpassed only by Stevie Ray Vaughn and Hendrix, IMHO).
It’s a shame that the speed of churn in popular music is such that he was all but forgotten by anyone under 35 or so.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul
JD

Post by JD »

I was never a huge Van Halen fan but I did like listening to some of his stuff, and of course I'd be a fool not to recognize the huge impact that he had on rock guitar. The funny thing is that some of his music doesn't sound all that revolutionary or unusual now...but that's precisely because he made it a standard.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

JD wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 18:14 I was never a huge Van Halen fan but I did like listening to some of his stuff, and of course I'd be a fool not to recognize the huge impact that he had on rock guitar. The funny thing is that some of his music doesn't sound all that revolutionary or unusual now...but that's precisely because he made it a standard.
That's true of Hendrix, too. For that matter, what was original and revolutionary in, say, Louis Armstrong or Charlie Parker's playing is well trod ground by now.

I of course admired Van Halen's virtuosity, but I never much cared for the music. With Hendrix or Stevie Ray the emotion of the music was rarely lost on me even as I marveled at the sound; with Van Halen it just seemed like showing off to me. *shrug*
Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 18:46
JD wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 18:14 I was never a huge Van Halen fan but I did like listening to some of his stuff, and of course I'd be a fool not to recognize the huge impact that he had on rock guitar. The funny thing is that some of his music doesn't sound all that revolutionary or unusual now...but that's precisely because he made it a standard.
That's true of Hendrix, too. For that matter, what was original and revolutionary in, say, Louis Armstrong or Charlie Parker's playing is well trod ground by now.

I of course admired Van Halen's virtuosity, but I never much cared for the music. With Hendrix or Stevie Ray the emotion of the music was rarely lost on me even as I marveled at the sound; with Van Halen it just seemed like showing off to me. *shrug*
Very much this.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul
Warren

Post by Warren »

Van Halen is what testosterone sounds like.
Living with a wanna be rock star for several years gave me insights to Eddie's playing I could not have appreciated on my own. That he experimented with unique tunings and found unique ways of exploiting them.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Spencer Davis, 81
nicole

Post by nicole »

James Randi
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
Warren

Post by Warren »

nicole wrote: 21 Oct 2020, 16:46James Randi
Pics or it didn't happen.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

It's a trick!

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 21 Oct 2020, 17:19
It's a trick!

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)
That's amazing.

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Jerry Jeff Walker, 78
Kwix

Post by Kwix »

I'm actually really bummed by this. Gillette is 65 and there isn't any more prominent sceptics out there. Not household names at least.
"People are sometimes the answer, but they are ALWAYS the problem." -- Ellie
"I thought during the apocalypse I would be counting ammo rounds instead of toilet paper rolls." --Twba
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Kwix wrote: 26 Oct 2020, 07:18
I'm actually really bummed by this. Gillette is 65 and there isn't any more prominent sceptics out there. Not household names at least.
It is a different time though. Randi was battling against the likes of Uri Geller, who was being mainstreamed by Johnny Carson, for instance.

The woo is definitely still around, but it’s a lot more subtle and harder to debunk.

(And one person’s woo is another’s religion, and it’s become sorta rude to debunk that)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
nicole

Post by nicole »

Kolohe wrote: 26 Oct 2020, 09:24
It is a different time though. Randi was battling against the likes of Uri Geller, who was being mainstreamed by Johnny Carson, for instance.

The woo is definitely still around, but it’s a lot more subtle and harder to debunk.

(And one person’s woo is another’s religion, and it’s become sorta rude to debunk that)
I mean, that last part is why it's happening and also why it's concerning.

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
Warren

Post by Warren »

Kolohe wrote: 26 Oct 2020, 09:24

Carson (a former magician) was a skeptic and humiliated Geller on his show.

I was never much of a fan of Randi. He struck me as a Rand type of figure, tearing down others to build a cult around himself.

I filed Gillette under "Never have heroes", the more I got to know him, the more he disappointed.

I like the current generation of skeptics that are more numerous and mainstream without Cult of Personality leaders.
nicole wrote: 26 Oct 2020, 10:14 I mean, that last part is why it's happening and also why it's concerning.
+1
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
dhex

Post by dhex »

Harris doesn't count as a cult of personality?
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
Warren

Post by Warren »

dhex wrote: 27 Oct 2020, 09:34 Harris doesn't count as a cult of personality?
I'm sorry, who?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

dhex wrote: 27 Oct 2020, 09:34 Harris doesn't count as a cult of personality?
Are there rabid MAGAs-but-for-Harris? Bernie, AOC, maybe Warren, sure, but Harris didn't make it past SC for a reason.

EDIT wait wrong Harris, clearly, but I'm with Warren. Who?

nicole

Post by nicole »

I assumed Sam.

I don't really think of him as a "skeptic" fwiw.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

nicole wrote: 27 Oct 2020, 13:09 I assumed Sam.

Because he's an asshole or because he's a scientismist?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Warren

Post by Warren »

*googles, reads Wikipedia*

Huh. I don't know. He's made the right enemies (Deepak Chopra, Noam Chomsky, et al.) Meditation in and of itself is good exercise for the mind. But it's often part of a larger woo filled belief system. Much like stretching and yoga. The app he's selling is sus. But far be it from me to criticize someone for making money.

Maybe he's an asshole, I couldn't say. He's got books, an app, a podcast, he may very well be building a cult around himself. But it's a very small cult. He can't be said to be the spokesman for the skeptic community.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
nicole

Post by nicole »

Hugh Akston wrote: 27 Oct 2020, 13:10

Because he's an asshole or because he's a scientismist?
Because I don't think of him as primarily engaging in testing empirical claims.

dhex

Post by dhex »

I'd pegged him to the post 9/11 skepticistic crew but never paid much attention because everything out of his mouth was stupid as fuck.

I'm not surprised he's gone all wellnessy. Natural leap.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Thx.

After googling to make sure I had the right Sam in mind, looking at the top results on Image Search, he definitely wants to be a little cult-y if he can pull it off.