"Hey, they made a little movie for this song - how novel!"

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
dhex

Re: "Hey, they made a little movie for this song - how novel!"

Post by dhex »

"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

I randomly thought of this song and wonderfully demented video and, double-checking, it's not here:

"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

A not-entirely-coherent, but kinda gorgeous, homage to late-70s animation:

The Strokes, "At the Door"
Painboy

Post by Painboy »

Eric the .5b wrote: 19 Feb 2020, 00:41 A not-entirely-coherent, but kinda gorgeous, homage to late-70s animation:

The Strokes, "At the Door"
Nice.
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

dhex wrote: 08 Feb 2012, 11:40 it was actually my idea but the implementation was hers.

apparently it's a sticky subject with a lot of the students, having internalized some version of the death of the author but unable to explain the whys or hows.
Responding to an old post in another thread entirely, but I was trawling through the thread for something and this reminded me of my recent realization that many people really think the music video presents the "real" meaning of a song. Even going back to the 80s, apparently—I remember all the people complaining that Britney Spears' cover of "Material Girl" almost a decade back missed the "irony" of the original song, irony that only existed in the context of the 1984 music video.

I have to assume these people don't pay much attention to lyrics and/or have never encountered more than one official video made for a song. (Much less any fanvids and the like. Or ever heard how little the process of making a lot of music videos involves the artist, sometimes.)

I mean, did they really think Bryan Adam's "Run to You" was about a man's illicit relationship with his guitar? (Watch the opening of the video—that's clearly the message!)

Or in more recent videos that came to mind:

Night Runner's "Magnum Bullets" is a noir meditation on self-damnation by pursuing wealth as a hardened criminal. The video is some stylized neo-noir animated cyberpunk involving emotional pain and reasonably righteous vengeance. Furry content, but deal, it's cool.

Sturgill Simpson's "Sing Along" is a jaunty song about begging someone to stay in an unworkable relationship. The video starts at "samurai in a muscle car in a futuristic wasteland" and gets even weirder toward the end. "A Good Look" off the same album is some snark about musicians worrying about image vs. actually making fun songs. The video for it continues the bizarre battle from the last video, ramping up to truly goofy absurdity...then abandons it for a dance party and some poking at the very idea that there's much of a story there in the first place.
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Gunship, "When You Grow Up, Your Heart Dies" Too many people had too much fun making this video.
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Health, "Cyberpunk 2.0.2.0"—and actually cleverer than 99% of the attempts to comment on modernity with cyberpunk.
dhex

Post by dhex »

That was dope but health is always at least very good
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God