Good Cover Versions

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Eric the .5b

Re: Good Cover Versions

Post by Eric the .5b »

I was iffy on this one until the chorus.

Major Voice covering Shakespears Sister's "Stay".
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Kolohe wrote: 16 Jun 2020, 09:39 this one has ‘trailer to an upcoming Fallout game’ vibes

Re- smells like teen spirit. One comment said it turns it into a weezer song, which I can’t disagree with. (And somewhere in this thread, there’s a version that’s shifted to a major key, and *that* sounds like weezer. Which basically says everything about weezer)
Major key grunge always always reminds me of nearly-forgotten early-90s rock.
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Memento Mori, a Swedish doom metal band, covers "Sixteen Tons".

It's surprisingly faithful while being pretty damn metal.
JD

Post by JD »

Did I post this one before? Leatherface, British punk band, covers "Message In A Bottle, and (IMO) shows how rocking the core of the song really is.
https://www.yo utube.com/watch?v=O_tE2qtsP1I
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

I know reinterpreting a standard isn't really a big deal in Jazz the way it is in Rock, but I dig the intro to this Monk version of Tizol/Ellington's "Caravan".
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Also while some people hate the DX-7 Electric Piano Patch of so many hateful 80s ballads, but I've come to also kind of hate the weird sound of early '90s wavetable piano patches - the Korg M1 and its ilk - that end up with this weird crystaline-chime overtone. I first started noticing it in re-hearing some Chick Corea Elektrik Band stuff, and now I can't not hear it in soooooo much soundtrack music and shitty over-produced pop and power-ballads from like '89 to maybe '96/'97.

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

dhex

Post by dhex »

Wavestation is in everything.

I love playing with wavetable stuff but editing the Wavestation was a nightmare
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

I can't really think off the top of my head to what sound you're referring, what's a song I'd know that epitomizes it?
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
dhex

Post by dhex »

For the m 1 someone did this monster

Wavestation is any industrial song after 94 really... And a ton of films etc. You get crazy sounds out of it esp atmospherics
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

dhex wrote: 22 Oct 2020, 16:50 https://youtu.be/7X3YpXiI5dM

For the m 1 someone did this monster

https://youtu.be/PfvGMLkxR1o

Wavestation is any industrial song after 94 really... And a ton of films etc. You get crazy sounds out of it esp atmospherics
OK turns out I was conflating the M1 sound (which is still problematic) with Corea's Kurzweil sound that he used on some of the Elektrik Band albums, which is differently annoying. It was in an uncanny valley between piano and fake piano and fake electric piano and came out super attacky in a way that I liked in 1992 but prolonged exposure harms me today.

And both the M1/Wavestation and the Kurzweil did some great stuff, but some applications did not age well.

Sandy would probably come down on me with fire if he saw this part of the thread. He put a lot of mileage on his M1 and his Wavestation.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

This is multiple levels of geekiness. It's a Weird Al cover, an 80s Transformers movie reference, and it's the Cybertronic Spree. But fun.

Cybertronic Spree, "Dare to Be Stupid"

And this just rocks.

Protest the Hero + Dethklok cover "Dead Man's Party"
Warren

Post by Warren »

Eric the .5b wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 16:05 This is multiple levels of geekiness. It's a Weird Al cover, an 80s Transformers movie reference, and it's the Cybertronic Spree. But fun.

Cybertronic Spree, "Dare to Be Stupid"

And this just rocks.

Protest the Hero + Dethklok cover "Dead Man's Party"
Thanks Eric. That's just the shot in the arm 2020 needed. Well, not literally I guess.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Hey, wound it, and we may have time to run away.