Home $weet Home

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Jasper

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by Jasper »

Dammit. Fridge is still being dumb.

Implementing Jason's ToolboxTM for this one. I don't have the patience to deal with it. Seems like a bigger hassle to diagnose and fix than messing around with the clothes dryer when that went on strike.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex
Warren

Post by Warren »

Knowing where to set the "fuck it" line is the heart of wisdom.
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
Highway

Post by Highway »

Meanwhile, I've got a fan pointing at the open hatch on the bottom of my dishwasher to make sure it all dries out before I put it back together and reinstall it.

Then I'll hope it was just condensation buildup that caused the small puddle in the bottom. Otherwise I'll be pulling it out again in the future.

Update: Seems like it's fixed, we'll see if same thing happens again soon.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
Highway

Post by Highway »

Highway wrote: 08 May 2020, 12:49 Meanwhile, I've got a fan pointing at the open hatch on the bottom of my dishwasher to make sure it all dries out before I put it back together and reinstall it.

Then I'll hope it was just condensation buildup that caused the small puddle in the bottom. Otherwise I'll be pulling it out again in the future.

Yep, same thing happened tonight (the first cycle we've run through). Time to live up to the title of this thread (repair visit first, see how much that'll be).
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Commiserations, Highway.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Highway wrote: 11 May 2020, 22:37
Highway wrote: 08 May 2020, 12:49 Meanwhile, I've got a fan pointing at the open hatch on the bottom of my dishwasher to make sure it all dries out before I put it back together and reinstall it.

Yep, same thing happened tonight (the first cycle we've run through). Time to live up to the title of this thread (repair visit first, see how much that'll be).
I feel you. Can you check forums and Youtube Technical Institute to see if they have any insight? If you can wait for parts orders, you might be able to save both time and exposure to potentially COVIDy repair folks if you can do the stuff like replacing gaskets and possibly leaky pumps DIY.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Highway

Post by Highway »

lunchstealer wrote: 12 May 2020, 13:34

I feel you. Can you check forums and Youtube Technical Institute to see if they have any insight? If you can wait for parts orders, you might be able to save both time and exposure to potentially COVIDy repair folks if you can do the stuff like replacing gaskets and possibly leaky pumps DIY.
Well, I took a look around when I had it out, although I had resisted flipping the dishwasher over (because some people had said that was a mistake that would end up dumping the water throughout the entire rest of the unit). Pulled off the side panel and looked at the hose connections on the drain. Everything seemed tight there, and there really wasn't any evidence of a leak that I could find.

What some of the comments I read were saying was that you can get leakage on the screw holes on the side of the tub, so when it sprays around it gets some water in there. The amount of water that was appearing seemed to be kind of on that order (there was probably what I'd call less than 1/2 cup of water throughout the whole thing). But I just don't have enough knowledge about the whole thing to want to tear it all apart.
Warren

Post by Warren »

New kitchen wall art
IMG_2164.jpeg
IMG_2164.jpeg (51.15 KiB) Viewed 2423 times
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
Highway

Post by Highway »

Highway wrote: 12 May 2020, 14:40
lunchstealer wrote: 12 May 2020, 13:34

Well, I took a look around when I had it out, although I had resisted flipping the dishwasher over (because some people had said that was a mistake that would end up dumping the water throughout the entire rest of the unit). Pulled off the side panel and looked at the hose connections on the drain. Everything seemed tight there, and there really wasn't any evidence of a leak that I could find.

What some of the comments I read were saying was that you can get leakage on the screw holes on the side of the tub, so when it sprays around it gets some water in there. The amount of water that was appearing seemed to be kind of on that order (there was probably what I'd call less than 1/2 cup of water throughout the whole thing). But I just don't have enough knowledge about the whole thing to want to tear it all apart.
Dishwasher is still out of commission while we wait for replacement parts. Getting the two drain hoses replaced, the one from the pump to the water panel, and then the one from the water panel to the sink. One of them had like 3 pinhole leaks in it and was spraying out water, and I decided that while the guy's at it, he should replace both the hoses, since they're the same material and the same age, and I don't need more leaking. But a very repairable issue, just gotta wait for the parts.
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Warren wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 22:54 New kitchen wall art

IMG_2164.jpeg
Nice.
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Missionary Manchego was their best song tho
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Recommendations for paint brands? I've read people arguing it's worth paying for the premium stuff because it has better coverage and so you use less overall and the price ends up about the same. But I don't know if I buy that.

There's a 30% off sale at Sherwin Williams through tomorrow so I'm trying to decide if I should jump on it or not...
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD
Highway

Post by Highway »

I've always been satisfied by Sherwin-Williams paint. Their lower priced paints actually fall into a nice middle between big box home store paint and the really expensive paints (Duron and Benjamin Moore, which are nice but at least for us are a pain to get because all the stores that sell them have hours like 6 AM to 3 PM).

You can get good results with just about any of them, or do a bad job with any of them.
Warren

Post by Warren »

Someone I know that does painting jobs under the table swears by Olympic Assure.

I didn't like the Sherwin-Williams. It smeared with the roller instead of going on thick. Needed two coats.
nicole

Post by nicole »

Ellie wrote: 14 Jun 2020, 12:38 Recommendations for paint brands? I've read people arguing it's worth paying for the premium stuff because it has better coverage and so you use less overall and the price ends up about the same. But I don't know if I buy that.

There's a 30% off sale at Sherwin Williams through tomorrow so I'm trying to decide if I should jump on it or not...
We got a lot of Sherwin Williams paint when we moved into this apt. Tried several of their options. Happy with them. Mostly used some of their higher end stuff; we did a lot of bold colors. They have good sales like that on the regular here.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
Mo

Post by Mo »

Warren wrote: 14 Jun 2020, 15:25 Someone I know that does painting jobs under the table swears by Olympic Assure.

I didn't like the Sherwin-Williams. It smeared with the roller instead of going on thick. Needed two coats.
You always need two coats and primer
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
Highway

Post by Highway »

I'd agree with the two coats, it's best to just count on two coats from the beginning. Primer's more dependent on the condition of the existing surface and the color change you're trying to go with. Going from one shade of a color to a close shad e of that same color, or an eggshell white to anything else, you probably don't need a primer. Going from a color to any other color you are probably better off using a primer coat.
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

I think we've been getting the combo paint/primer all in one? Some external paint jobs are already peeling but then again I'm not convinced that it's not because the painters didn't really prep the surface properly. Plus SoCal sun is really fucking brutal.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
Warren

Post by Warren »

Interior or exterior?
Highway

Post by Highway »

Warren wrote: 15 Jun 2020, 14:32 Interior or exterior?
If you're asking about Ellie, I was assuming interior, since they live in a townhouse and there's usually not much to paint on the exterior.
Warren

Post by Warren »

Highway wrote: 15 Jun 2020, 14:45
Warren wrote: 15 Jun 2020, 14:32 Interior or exterior?
If you're asking about Ellie, I was assuming interior, since they live in a townhouse and there's usually not much to paint on the exterior.
That's what I was thinking.
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Yes, interior. Most of the rooms changing color pretty significantly.

Looks like Olympic Assure isn't made anymore. I wonder what Warren's friend uses now!
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Ellie wrote: 15 Jun 2020, 16:12 Yes, interior. Most of the rooms changing color pretty significantly.

Looks like Olympic Assure isn't made anymore. I wonder what Warren's friend uses now!
My experience with interior paint has been that the paint is less important than the painter.
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 15 Jun 2020, 18:36
Ellie wrote: 15 Jun 2020, 16:12 Yes, interior. Most of the rooms changing color pretty significantly.

My experience with interior paint has been that the paint is less important than the painter.
Or sometimes the paintee...

PROBABLY NSFW
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

I bought carpet at Lowe's a couple months ago even though we weren't ready to replace our upstairs carpet right then, because it was the exact color/kind I wanted on an amazing closeout deal. Unfortunately, now that I have the upstairs mostly cleaned out with furniture removed, I'm having a hard time finding anyone who will come install it. Most places want to sell you the carpet they install; so far nobody I've contacted through Angie's List will do business with me. I'm trying to give you money, dangit!

I'd do it myself, I'm not fazed by the stretching and tacking, but I can't manhandle this roll of carpet on my own. It took three hearty Lowe's employees just to shove it awkwardly into the van...