What are you drinking?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Isaac Bartram

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by Isaac Bartram »

Andrew wrote:It was a quite the trip to Total Wine on Saturday. My girlfriend bought me a bottle of 1982 Chateau de Laubade bas Armagnac as a belated birthday gift, which will probably be savored over a very long period of time.

I also had to buy a new bottle of gin since I finally finished the bottle of Junipero (from the same parent company as Anchor Brewing in San Francisco). I've heard good things about Old Raj, but it was $50 a bottle, as was Breuckelen Glorious Gin, so I went back to Plymouth Gin. I just wish they hadn't gone to a faux-antique bottle style; the previous version looked great.
OK, I see there's a Total Wine in O-town (actually two locations) so since I am a total gin swill I will have to get a bottle of Junipero.
JD

Post by JD »

Had some Laphroaig last night, which I hadn't touched in a long time. I'd forgotten how intensely peaty it is.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Pham Nuwen wrote:Ooops!

Also, not familiar with that grape, JasonL. Will investigate at some point.
It's one of the two affordable Piedmont varieties - the other beting Barbera (not to be confused with Barbaresco which is nebbiolo based and consequently fracking expensive and eff you italy and your dumbass wine nomenclature and also your seemingly random quality in regions beyond piedmont especially tuscany). I find it more flexible than Barberas I've had. Nice combination of rich fruit and acidity. Some people find it tart, but they are dumb or something because it's great.
Taktix®

Post by Taktix® »

Anyone know anything about St. George's gin?

We just got it in at work and, since I don't drink anymore, I can't taste it until someone orders it, which no one has yet. Also, just got in Dogfish Head Red and White on draft, which is quite nice, even if it's only a straw-full...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

JasonL wrote:
Pham Nuwen wrote:Ooops!

Also, not familiar with that grape, JasonL. Will investigate at some point.
It's one of the two affordable Piedmont varieties - the other beting Barbera (not to be confused with Barbaresco which is nebbiolo based and consequently fracking expensive and eff you italy and your dumbass wine nomenclature and also your seemingly random quality in regions beyond piedmont especially tuscany). I find it more flexible than Barberas I've had. Nice combination of rich fruit and acidity. Some people find it tart, but they are dumb or something because it's great.
I had some Barbera d'Alba yesterday. Was very meh.I hate being dumb ...
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
Taktix®

Post by Taktix® »

Got to try the Terrapin Pumpkinfest today at our weekly pre-shift tasting. I usually hate these seasonal pumpkin syrup blahs, but this one was a well balanced Märzenbier with nice pumpkin and clove notes. Consider that shit recommended, son.

Also like the new beer list, which labels the Buds and PBRs as "American Adjunct" Pilsners. Now I can explain to beer noobs why Budweiser is such shit...
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Taktix® wrote:Got to try the Terrapin Pumpkinfest today at our weekly pre-shift tasting. I usually hate these seasonal pumpkin syrup blahs, but this one was a well balanced Märzenbier with nice pumpkin and clove notes. Consider that shit recommended, son.
I haven't heard of that one. The only two I've found so far that are good are Southern Tier's Pumking and Dogfish Head's Punkin Ale.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex
Warren

Post by Warren »

Andrew wrote:
Taktix® wrote:Got to try the Terrapin Pumpkinfest today at our weekly pre-shift tasting. I usually hate these seasonal pumpkin syrup blahs, but this one was a well balanced Märzenbier with nice pumpkin and clove notes. Consider that shit recommended, son.
I haven't heard of that one. The only two I've found so far that are good are Southern Tier's Pumking and Dogfish Head's Punkin Ale.
UGH Dogfish Head's is about the only Pumpkin Ale I won't drink. For the same reason I don't drink any Dogfish Head brews. Turning everything UP TO ELEVEN isn't craft brewing. 7% ABV? Give me a break.

EDIT
I haven't had Terrapin Pumpkinfest, but I do like lagers. A pumpkin lager is very intriguing. But 6.1% ABV is still too high for me.
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
Taktix®

Post by Taktix® »

I agree with Dogfish Head = beer EXTREME!!1! Their Shelter Pale Ale was nice but not widely distributed.

And I forget about the impact of ABV since I'm only sampling anymore :?
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Warren wrote:
Andrew wrote:
UGH Dogfish Head's is about the only Pumpkin Ale I won't drink. For the same reason I don't drink any Dogfish Head brews. Turning everything UP TO ELEVEN isn't craft brewing. 7% ABV? Give me a break.

EDIT
I haven't had Terrapin Pumpkinfest, but I do like lagers. A pumpkin lager is very intriguing. But 6.1% ABV is still too high for me.
If a beer is well-balanced, I don't even notice the alcohol in beers if they're under 10% abv (and well-crafted beers in the 10-14% range will occasionally surprise me when I'm guessing the abv is around 8 or so). I'm not a big fan of DFH, either, but a good beer is a good beer.
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Airline merlot. Just as good as it sounds.
Mo

Post by Mo »

JasonL wrote:Airline merlot. Just as good as it sounds.
The best bang for your alcohol buck in the air is Delta's bourbon. Woodford reserve for a buck more than Coors.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

I know. Was upgraded too. Stomach can't handle bourbon + motion. Sigh.
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

JasonL wrote:I know. Was upgraded too. Stomach can't handle bourbon + motion. Sigh.

JD

Post by JD »

I bought myself a bottle of El Buho mezcal on something of a whim. I don't really know mezcal, but it's rather nice. Good mild smokiness. (The interblag suggests the proper Spanish is really "Búho", but even on their own website, they don't use the accent.)
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

JD wrote:I bought myself a bottle of El Buho mezcal on something of a whim. I don't really know mezcal, but it's rather nice. Good mild smokiness. (The interblag suggests the proper Spanish is really "Búho", but even on their own website, they don't use the accent.)
The only mezcal I've tried was Del Maguey Minero, and the smokiness was overwhelming. I'll have to see if I can find Buho around here. Also, if you ever see it, snap up some Cielo Rojo Bacanaora. The flavors are somewhere between hiqh-quality tequila and mezcal.
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Found a place that sells Anchor Steam beer for 4 euro, and St Peters porter from the UK (great beer) for about the same. Had the grilled chemay cheese and prosciutto on toast with it. Not bad!

Now going out later with Italian lady neighbour and her friends, but pretty fucking mellow listening to metal and feeling sleepy. Conversation is gonna be "I like stuff, how about you?"
Slip inside a sleeping bag.
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Breckenridge Autumn Ale ... great stuff. Surprisingly mellow.

JD

Post by JD »

The other night I got some Harpoon Pumpkin UFO, almost by accident (I thought it was the regular white UFO). Pumpkin beers are always a bit of a dicey proposition, but this was really good.
tr0g

Post by tr0g »

For reasons I can't fully explain, I've been working through various stouts and ciders in the attempt to make my ideal Snakebite. So far the Deschutes Obsidian Stout and Mike's Smashed Apple is winning.

Also, Woodchuck's Pumpkin Cider is not so good.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

For some reason, I had always associated Four Roses with cheap bourbon (okay, wiki explains why that was accurate and when it changed), but their single barrel is amazingly good for a $40 bottle. I've tried three or four different bottles now and they have ranged from "mind-blowingly perfect" to "excellent."
JD

Post by JD »

A friend of mine recently gave me a bottle of the Four Roses Small Batch. It's quite good, although I wouldn't say it's among the best I've had.
pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick »

My neighbor made me some blackberry shrub mix.
It is a mixture of blackberries and vinegar and sugar.
You pour 2-3 Tbsp in a glass, add a shot of vodka, then about 8 oz of club soda.
Not too shabby. Goes down easy. Tastes better the more you drink.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
Warren

Post by Warren »

pistoffnick wrote:My neighbor made me some blackberry shrub mix.
You pour 2-3 Tbsp in a glass, add a shot of vodka, then about 8 oz of club soda.
What's the vinegar doin in there?
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Warren wrote:
pistoffnick wrote:My neighbor made me some blackberry shrub mix.
What's the vinegar doin in there?
Because shrub.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.