What are you drinking?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Eric the .5b

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by Eric the .5b »

Last night, I had some Botanist gin with like amounts of San Pellegrino blood orange, topped off with plain Perrier. (I remember this stuff being expensive when I was a kid - decades of bottled water and such have tanked that.) If I have more tonight, I'll lower the relative amount of soda - Botanist has a nice, sharp taste, but not quite that strong.

Also, good grief, but does Botanist have a pretty web site. The section on the botanicals is a delight.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
JD

Post by JD »

I bought a bottle of Canadian Club because it looked like the best tradeoff between price and quality at the store, and was pleasantly surprised to discover that it's quite good. I'd had in mixed drinks before, but I'd never really sat down and tasted it neat.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Ayn_Randian

Post by Ayn_Randian »

JD wrote:I bought a bottle of Canadian Club because it looked like the best tradeoff between price and quality at the store, and was pleasantly surprised to discover that it's quite good. I'd had in mixed drinks before, but I'd never really sat down and tasted it neat.
I love Canadian Club. There's a note of toasted marshmallow to it that I think is super.
It has the effect of making me want desperately to do the opposite of what Green Day is suggesting I should want to do. Billy Joe Whassname may have created a generation of war mongers. - Jason L
Mo

Post by Mo »

Had a Plymouth G&T last night and it was terrific. Mrs. Mo said, "Either that's the smoothest gin I've ever had or for the first time ever you made your drink too weak for me."
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
JD

Post by JD »

Celebrated the beginning of summer with Campari and soda, with a splash of orange bitters.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

:D A classic I enjoy every summer. In other news we had a high of 15C today. :-/
Slip inside a sleeping bag.
Warren

Post by Warren »

JD wrote:Celebrated the beginning of summer with Campari and soda, with a splash of orange bitters.
I never learned to like Campari, but I do recognize the role it played in protecting our freedom of speech and press.
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

And promoting the art of the Italian Futurists.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.
Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly »

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with bullfighters, too. And Cuban cigars. And old men. And the sea.
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.
Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

Mo wrote:Had a Plymouth G&T last night and it was terrific. Mrs. Mo said, "Either that's the smoothest gin I've ever had or for the first time ever you made your drink too weak for me."
I've not had Plymouth gin, but I tend to like the smoother gins for martinis or straight. For G&Ts, I like a bit of astringent juniperness. Too smooth takes something away from the drink. Hence, IMHO, Tanqueray is good for G&T, but useless for anything else. Beefeater also works for G&Ts. Bombay Saphire, OTOH, is wasted when mixed with tonic. New Amsterdam also works well for G&Ts, and the price is hard to argue with.

BTW-the best tonic drink is Meyer's dark rum and tonic with a splash of lime. Try it. You're welcome.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul
Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

Number 6 wrote:
Mo wrote:Had a Plymouth G&T last night and it was terrific. Mrs. Mo said, "Either that's the smoothest gin I've ever had or for the first time ever you made your drink too weak for me."
I've not had Plymouth gin, but I tend to like the smoother gins for martinis or straight. For G&Ts, I like a bit of astringent juniperness. Too smooth takes something away from the drink. Hence, IMHO, Tanqueray is good for G&T, but useless for anything else. Beefeater also works for G&Ts. Bombay Saphire, OTOH, is wasted when mixed with tonic. New Amsterdam also works well for G&Ts, and the price is hard to argue with.

BTW-the best tonic drink is Meyer's dark rum and tonic with a splash of lime. Try it. You're welcome.
You are a smart man, and I'm keeping my subscription.
Mo

Post by Mo »

I agree 100% #6. Plymouth is my favorite martini gin. However, I had tonic that needed a drinkin' and I was all out of Hendricks.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
Ayn_Randian

Post by Ayn_Randian »

My favorite martini gin is Beefeater. My favorite G&T gin is Tanqueray. Tanqueray 10, on the other hand, is terrible. I'm also partial to Hendrick's as mentioned by others, Bombay and Bombay Sapphire, and during my poor-person days, this:

It has the effect of making me want desperately to do the opposite of what Green Day is suggesting I should want to do. Billy Joe Whassname may have created a generation of war mongers. - Jason L
Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly »

I haven't seen or heard of Plymouth gin, but maybe I just haven't been paying attention. I'll look for it.
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Plymouth gin is the Market, as is Junipero and Hendrick's. If after trying all 3, a person still leans towards Tanqueray or Bombay, there are Issues.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex
JD

Post by JD »

Breuckelen Glorious Gin is probably tied with Hendricks for my favorite, but I suspect it's near-impossible to get outside of NYC. (Do not confuse it with the "Brooklyn Gin".)

In bad drinks news, my local grocery was out of Fever Tree tonic water, Q tonic water, AND Fentiman's tonic water. How the hell does that happen? I elected to drink rye and soda rather than use an inferior tonic water.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

JD wrote:Breuckelen Glorious Gin is probably tied with Hendricks for my favorite, but I suspect it's near-impossible to get outside of NYC. (Do not confuse it with the "Brooklyn Gin".)
It looks like the Total Wine near me has it for $50 a fifth. Junipero is $27, Plymouth is $24, and Hendrick's is $27. That had better be some mighty fine gin at twice the price of those three.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex
JD

Post by JD »

Andrew wrote:
JD wrote:Breuckelen Glorious Gin is probably tied with Hendricks for my favorite, but I suspect it's near-impossible to get outside of NYC. (Do not confuse it with the "Brooklyn Gin".)
It looks like the Total Wine near me has it for $50 a fifth. Junipero is $27, Plymouth is $24, and Hendrick's is $27. That had better be some mighty fine gin at twice the price of those three.
$50 is pretty crazy given that Astor Wines is only asking $32.
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Tanqueray is a good mid-market gin for gins-and-tonic. But yeah, if you've got the extra coin, go for Hendrick's. And if you don't have the extra coin, New Amsterdam is good and even more coin-sparing, but its more citrusy, less junipery feel makes it a touch simple in gs-and-t.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom »

I used to drink mostly G&Ts but no longer. I am retreating pretty much from any mixed drinks. I occasionally drink Scotch, but I am cheap and isn't really some fantastic taste for me. I expect the increasing irregularity of drinking it will make it gross to me. I have mostly retreated to red wine and good Munich Helles lager (which in the U.S. means mostly Spaten).
Kwix

Post by Kwix »

Ayn_Randian wrote:Tanqueray 10, on the other hand, is terrible.
Here, I have to disagree. Though I will state right out that for a G&T it's wasted and anything other than 90% martini is too much vermouth for it. I do like it neat however.
"People are sometimes the answer, but they are ALWAYS the problem." -- Ellie
"I thought during the apocalypse I would be counting ammo rounds instead of toilet paper rolls." --Twba
Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

I have obtained some honest to gawd, made in the backwoods of Kenntucky by a guy who had taken more shots at revenuers than he has teeth* moonshine. It's surprisingly good. But my god is it potent.

*I'm guessing. There was a cut-out between supplier and consumer.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul
Solitudinarian

Post by Solitudinarian »

Number 6 wrote:I have obtained some honest to gawd, made in the backwoods of Kenntucky by a guy who had taken more shots at revenuers than he has teeth* moonshine. It's surprisingly good. But my god is it potent.

*I'm guessing. There was a cut-out between supplier and consumer.
I wish I could get some more. Grizzled, white-bearded "Uncle James" (possibly his real name, but I doubt it) hasn't been at the local VFW lately and neither have I. The stuff is as smooth as silk -- wrapped around a brick upside your head.
“I have no Message to reveal. But later on––Who knows?––I might.”

“A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.”
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Waht are you guys talking about that shit is horrible. Every culture has moonshine and it is shitty all over the world. Palinka in Hungary, soju in korea etc. etc. The game is get someone who doesn't look or talk like you to drink your rot gut piss then laugh at them because you are more of an alcoholic than they.
JD

Post by JD »

I discovered that Widow Jane has a distillery only a couple miles from my house. They're making a new "Bloody Butcher" bourbon out of the Bloody Butcher breed of corn, which looks interesting: