What are you drinking?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by Warren »

JasonL wrote:Waht are you guys talking about that shit is horrible. Every culture has moonshine and it is shitty all over the world. Palinka in Hungary, soju in korea etc. etc. The game is get someone who doesn't look or talk like you to drink your rot gut piss then laugh at them because you are more of an alcoholic than they.
I'm sorry but you just don't know what you're talking about. Sure there's shitty moonshine, it's cheap and easy to make. But there is a craft distilling community too and they make some damned fine stuff. Some say better stuff than can be had legally.
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

By damned fine you mean you won't actually go blind? The proof is too high for it to taste of other than burning ass.
Ayn_Randian

Post by Ayn_Randian »

JasonL wrote:By damned fine you mean you won't actually go blind? The proof is too high for it to taste of other than burning ass.
I think that you're letting your desire to divorce yourself from your surroundings overwhelm a nuanced sense of taste here. If properly distilled and flavored, moonshine is better than vodkas.
It has the effect of making me want desperately to do the opposite of what Green Day is suggesting I should want to do. Billy Joe Whassname may have created a generation of war mongers. - Jason L
Mo

Post by Mo »

I'm on Team Jason on this. Though white dog is a superior base for blood marys.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
JD

Post by JD »

It might depend on the particular white dog, though. I very much like Buffalo Trace bourbon, but their white dog has strong and strange notes of grass, corn, bubblegum, and cat pee. After tasting it, I understood the purpose of barrel-aging much better.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Warren

Post by Warren »

JasonL wrote:By damned fine you mean you won't actually go blind? The proof is too high for it to taste of other than burning ass.
Don't confuse un-aged whiskey with craft distilled moonshine. Mooonshine isn't an interim step between distillation and aging. It's a product that's designed to be drunk clear. But it needn't be drunk straight. Also high proof does not necessarily mean high burn. I've had 120 proof moonshine with less bite than Jack Daniel's
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

I've had people telling me versions of that story my whole life, and yet many many samples of secret stashes into this, it's all ass.
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Fun fact: Whatever society runs Mount Vernon also runs a distillery at the old grist mill nearby using George's old recipe and replicas of George's (really George's slaves') equipment. Though 185 bucks a bottle is a bit much for trying something on the lark.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Slip inside a sleeping bag.
Warren

Post by Warren »

dbcooper wrote:Image
Great Scott!
That. Is the market. Although I'm not a fan of ABVs above 5. I drink one and pass out.
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Yeah, I thought that was really neat.

There's more here:

http://beerlabelsinmotion.tumblr.com/
Warren

Post by Warren »

dbcooper wrote:Yeah, I thought that was really neat.

There's more here:

http://beerlabelsinmotion.tumblr.com/
Yeah, those are pretty neat. The one you used worked for me on account of "lil sumpin sumpin" was an expression my inner circle used for interstate commerce back in the day. I can imagine getting half way through a Lagunitas, seeing the label do that, and going "uht oh".
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Cool. :)
Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly »

Saturday night at http://www.thescottisharms.com I had Japanese scotch for the first time. Until Saturday night, I had no idea there was such a thing as Japanese scotch.

It was Hakushu 12-year single malt, for anyone who is interested.

I only had a small taste. It was part of the "scotch tour" sampling of three scotches. I had the server help me by suggesting some scotches.

The other two were Bunnahabhain 12-year and Glendronach 15-year.

My palate is not sophisticated enough to give a good description of any of these, but I would have any of them again.

(For dinner, FYI, I had the bacon-wrapped haggis with fried whisky apples. The haggis was not served in the traditional sheep's stomach, but was an altered form that was more like slices of Scottish lamb-and-oats meatloaf wrapped in bacon. Authentic or not, I found it good.)

EDIT to fix some spellings. I think.
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.
Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

I really want to throw in here a comment that I'm sure there's no Scotch made in Japan, by definition, but there might be some Jap you can drink.
Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly »

Jadagul wrote:I really want to throw in here a comment that I'm sure there's no Scotch made in Japan, by definition, but there might be some Jap you can drink.
Maybe "Nippotch"?

Yeah, I guess it's technically "Scottish-style Japanese whisky" according to Wikipedia.
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

The Virginia wine scene just got a profile in Decanter. That's several data points in a row suggesting it is becoming a for real viticultural region. Grylliade tour of VA wineries in 2014?
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

JasonL wrote:The Virginia wine scene just got a profile in Decanter. That's several data points in a row suggesting it is becoming a for real viticultural region. Grylliade tour of VA wineries in 2014?

Just the past weekend, went to the Chrysalis vinyards (which I think I mentioned before) and did a tasting. I was surprised I liked the white varietals more than the reds.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Looks like a lot of Viognier in whites. I like it in small doses and only if unoaked. Guess what CA messes it up by ramping up the fruit and oaking the shit out of it. My favorites have been blended unoaked Viognier. This is my favorite domestic effort to date, but I haven't tried the VA ones now getting a reputation: http://www.bookwalterwines.com/product/ ... -Vineyards
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

New wine bar in cincinnati is doing a tasting of every wine in the D'Arenberg lineup for $15 this weekend. Muahahahahaa. They are the best of the Aussie large producers.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

It was a quite the trip to Total Wine on Saturday. My girlfriend bought me a bottle of 1982 Chateau de Laubade bas Armagnac as a belated birthday gift, which will probably be savored over a very long period of time.

I also had to buy a new bottle of gin since I finally finished the bottle of Junipero (from the same parent company as Anchor Brewing in San Francisco). I've heard good things about Old Raj, but it was $50 a bottle, as was Breuckelen Glorious Gin, so I went back to Plymouth Gin. I just wish they hadn't gone to a faux-antique bottle style; the previous version looked great.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Andrew wrote:It was a quite the trip to Total Wine on Saturday. My girlfriend bought me a bottle of 1982 Chateau de Laubade bas Armagnac as a belated birthday gift, which will probably be savored over a very long period of time.

I also had to buy a new bottle of gin since I finally finished the bottle of Junipero (from the same parent company as Anchor Brewing in San Francisco). I've heard good things about Old Raj, but it was $50 a bottle, as was Breuckelen Glorious Gin, so I went back to Plymouth Gin. I just wish they hadn't gone to a faux-antique bottle style; the previous version looked great.
Good stuff.
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

So the wife went ahead and bought two entire cases of wine from a nearby shop without consulting me. It's all italian wine which i don't know to much about. I will say this though ... either my taste buds have changed in the last 3 years or the garnacha coming out of Italy is far superior to the grenache coming out of Spain.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Pham Nuwen wrote:So the wife went ahead and bought two entire cases of wine from a nearby shop without consulting me. It's all italian wine which i don't know to much about. I will say this though ... either my taste buds have changed in the last 3 years or the garnacha coming out of Italy is far superior to the grenache coming out of Spain.
It's garnacha in spain. I've never had any from Italy. Sardinia I guess?

I'm kind of obsessed with Dolcetto these days. Man it's good.
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Ooops!

Also, not familiar with that grape, JasonL. Will investigate at some point.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex