the list of those things which are not food

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
User avatar
JD
Posts: 12055
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: the list of those things which are not food

Post by JD »

My wife bought a pint of Halo Top ice cream. The tipoffs should have been the words "light ice cream" and "only 280 calories per pint!" I thought the flavor was OK, she did not, but we both thought the texture was nasty; I thought it had a greasy, slick mouthfeel that was not at all like the creaminess of real ice cream. It should also tell you something that the ingredients include erythritol and "prebiotic fiber" - last time I checked, fiber of any kind was not an ice cream ingredient.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 10762
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: the list of those things which are not food

Post by nicole »

Yeah that stuff is GROSS
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

User avatar
Fin Fang Foom
Posts: 9539
Joined: 05 May 2010, 22:39

Re: the list of those things which are not food

Post by Fin Fang Foom »

Papa John resigns from Papa John's.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnew ... ur-n-word/

At least maybe our pizza will get a little better.

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 14906
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: the list of those things which are not food

Post by Eric the .5b »

Man, you can't gripe on a conference call about how back in the day, you could drop the n-bomb all the time and drag black people to death behind cars without people taking it the wrong way, anymore.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

User avatar
Fin Fang Foom
Posts: 9539
Joined: 05 May 2010, 22:39

Re: the list of those things which are not food

Post by Fin Fang Foom »

I hope that that they develop a loveable cartoon mascot and call him "Papa John" as a form of Damnatio Memoriae.

User avatar
Kolohe
Posts: 14563
Joined: 06 May 2010, 10:51

Re: the list of those things which are not food

Post by Kolohe »

Now finally reading the full story on the Papa John's thing that happened. The most ha ha morissettian part I now just learned is that the entire point of conference call was to coach him on better public relations interactions.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 18758
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: the list of those things which are not food

Post by lunchstealer »

Kolohe wrote:
15 Jul 2018, 00:55
Now finally reading the full story on the Papa John's thing that happened. The most ha ha morissettian part I now just learned is that the entire point of conference call was to coach him on better public relations interactions.
There's an O'Henry story in there. Possibly a meta story where O'Henry and Mark Twain duel it out with brickbats at a distance three quarters of a mile.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 25698
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: the list of those things which are not food

Post by Mo »

Almonds don't lactate, so almond milk will be illegal. Next on the chopping block, cream of wheat.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 13294
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: the list of those things which are not food

Post by Ellie »

What do they plan to call it instead? Almond water? They better not do what pretentious vegans do and spell it "mylk." I'll barf.

That reminds me of something I read last night that made me chuckle: "Coffee with soy milk is just bean water with bean water."
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD

User avatar
Fin Fang Foom
Posts: 9539
Joined: 05 May 2010, 22:39

Re: the list of those things which are not food

Post by Fin Fang Foom »

lunchstealer wrote:
15 Jul 2018, 02:50
Kolohe wrote:
15 Jul 2018, 00:55
Now finally reading the full story on the Papa John's thing that happened. The most ha ha morissettian part I now just learned is that the entire point of conference call was to coach him on better public relations interactions.
There's an O'Henry story in there. Possibly a meta story where O'Henry and Mark Twain duel it out with brickbats at a distance three quarters of a mile.
Schnatter is now complaining of unfairness due to the fact that nobody ever criticized Colonel Sanders for using the n-word. Colonel Sanders died in 1980.

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 29870
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: the list of those things which are not food

Post by Warren »

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 14:04
lunchstealer wrote:
15 Jul 2018, 02:50
Kolohe wrote:
15 Jul 2018, 00:55
Now finally reading the full story on the Papa John's thing that happened. The most ha ha morissettian part I now just learned is that the entire point of conference call was to coach him on better public relations interactions.
There's an O'Henry story in there. Possibly a meta story where O'Henry and Mark Twain duel it out with brickbats at a distance three quarters of a mile.
Schnatter is now complaining of unfairness due to the fact that nobody ever criticized Colonel Sanders for using the n-word. Colonel Sanders died in 1980.
Wait no. "Colonel Sanders used the N-word" was part of the story the first day it broke.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 25762
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: the list of those things which are not food

Post by Jennifer »

Warren wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 20:56
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 14:04
lunchstealer wrote:
15 Jul 2018, 02:50
Kolohe wrote:
15 Jul 2018, 00:55
Now finally reading the full story on the Papa John's thing that happened. The most ha ha morissettian part I now just learned is that the entire point of conference call was to coach him on better public relations interactions.
There's an O'Henry story in there. Possibly a meta story where O'Henry and Mark Twain duel it out with brickbats at a distance three quarters of a mile.
Schnatter is now complaining of unfairness due to the fact that nobody ever criticized Colonel Sanders for using the n-word. Colonel Sanders died in 1980.
Wait no. "Colonel Sanders used the N-word" was part of the story the first day it broke.
The version of the story I saw had Sanders' family claiming that, while he used lots of cuss words, he wasn't the type to go for racist commentary. (Although, given the time and place where Sanders lived, I dunno how plausible that is. I do know that among Jim Crow-era racists, even those who were unapologetically in favor of segregation and would even say they wished the south had won, at least some of them had the idea that the word 'nigger' was nonetheless vulgar.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Andrew
Posts: 7110
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 21:52
Location: Vale of Eternal Fire

Re: the list of those things which are not food

Post by Andrew »

Based on the discussion in some other thread, I tried a chocolate moon pie after my hike today. Like more than a few junk food items, I'm baffled how it can have so much fat and sugar and yet taste like... nothing. Even cardboard might have more taste. If I'm going to have some junk food, I'll grab a snickers bar in the next box over, which is cheaper, fewer calories, and actually tastes like something.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 25450
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: the list of those things which are not food

Post by JasonL »

I told you. It’s cardboard and nothing.

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 13294
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: the list of those things which are not food

Post by Ellie »

Cardboard and nostalgia.
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD

User avatar
Andrew
Posts: 7110
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 21:52
Location: Vale of Eternal Fire

Re: the list of those things which are not food

Post by Andrew »

Ellie wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 22:10
Cardboard and nostalgia.
I guess I'm lucky I didn't have a severe reaction when my nostalgia antibodies kicked in.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

User avatar
Fin Fang Foom
Posts: 9539
Joined: 05 May 2010, 22:39

Re: the list of those things which are not food

Post by Fin Fang Foom »

Damn, Schnatter must be a real cunt. The board adopted a poison pill to limit his ability to get some control. That's fucking harsh given that presumably he gave them all their jobs.


https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/arti ... r-takeover

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 29870
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: the list of those things which are not food

Post by Warren »

The latest culinary craze here in goat rope: Chocolate Chip Cheese Ball put out by the local Amish Bakery and Deli (makers of exquisite sandwiches). My understanding is that it's little more than chocolate chips in cream cheese. It is said that one will experience ecstasy from eating (cage free) animal crackers dipped in it. I myself can not say.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 25450
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: the list of those things which are not food

Post by JasonL »

I’ve always known this as “cookie dip”. Served with cookie sticks. You know. As a dip.

User avatar
Solitudinarian
Posts: 392
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:06

Re: the list of those things which are not food

Post by Solitudinarian »

Warren wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 19:29
The latest culinary craze here in goat rope: Chocolate Chip Cheese Ball put out by the local Amish Bakery and Deli (makers of exquisite sandwiches). My understanding is that it's little more than chocolate chips in cream cheese. It is said that one will experience ecstasy from eating (cage free) animal crackers dipped in it. I myself can not say.
Hm, that might be good. Then again, I think chocolate chip cookies and French onion dip aren’t bad.
“I have no Message to reveal. But later on––Who knows?––I might.”

“A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.”

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 29870
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: the list of those things which are not food

Post by Warren »

Solitudinarian wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 21:36
Warren wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 19:29
The latest culinary craze here in goat rope: Chocolate Chip Cheese Ball put out by the local Amish Bakery and Deli (makers of exquisite sandwiches). My understanding is that it's little more than chocolate chips in cream cheese. It is said that one will experience ecstasy from eating (cage free) animal crackers dipped in it. I myself can not say.
Hm, that might be good. Then again, I think chocolate chip cookies and French onion dip aren’t bad.
You're weird
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Solitudinarian
Posts: 392
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:06

Re: the list of those things which are not food

Post by Solitudinarian »

Warren wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 22:28
Solitudinarian wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 21:36
Warren wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 19:29
The latest culinary craze here in goat rope: Chocolate Chip Cheese Ball put out by the local Amish Bakery and Deli (makers of exquisite sandwiches). My understanding is that it's little more than chocolate chips in cream cheese. It is said that one will experience ecstasy from eating (cage free) animal crackers dipped in it. I myself can not say.
Hm, that might be good. Then again, I think chocolate chip cookies and French onion dip aren’t bad.
You're weird
It has been suggested in some quarters.
“I have no Message to reveal. But later on––Who knows?––I might.”

“A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.”

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 29870
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: the list of those things which are not food

Post by Warren »

JasonL wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 21:35
I’ve always known this as “cookie dip”. Served with cookie sticks. You know. As a dip.
Wha? *googles* oh dear god
It's a thing.

Between cookie dip and Kavanaugh, I don't want to live in this cold dead world of sin.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 16284
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: the list of those things which are not food

Post by dhex »

JasonL wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 21:35
I’ve always known this as “cookie dip”. Served with cookie sticks. You know. As a dip.
What the fuck

That is some civet poop coffee for the rascal scooter squad bullshit
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 25698
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: the list of those things which are not food

Post by Mo »

Warren wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 19:29
The latest culinary craze here in goat rope: Chocolate Chip Cheese Ball put out by the local Amish Bakery and Deli (makers of exquisite sandwiches). My understanding is that it's little more than chocolate chips in cream cheese. It is said that one will experience ecstasy from eating (cage free) animal crackers dipped in it. I myself can not say.
That sounds like a deconstructed cheesecake with chocolate chips.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Post Reply