That's Not What the Song's About!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Eric the .5b

That's Not What the Song's About!

Post by Eric the .5b »

Like the rule goes, communication usually fails, except by accident. People misinterpret straightforward lyrics, some song lyrics aren't straightforward, and interpretation is an art.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Highway

Re: That's Not What the Song's About!

Post by Highway »

The obvious: Every Breath You Take is NOT A TOUCHING LOVE SONG!!!

It's a stalker song. Dolts.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
tr0g

Post by tr0g »

Highway wrote:The obvious: Every Breath You Take is NOT A TOUCHING LOVE SONG!!!

REM's The One I Love. That song is brutal. It is not touching at all, it's sociopathic.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Example: I managed to have a twenty-minute debate with two friends over the Outfield's "Your Love" and whether the protagonist and the addressed woman actually have sex. One friend argued that it struck her as being a continuing illicit relationship, with the woman knowing her feelings are being exploited, but unable/unwilling to refuse. I argued that it struck me as him trying and failing to seduce her, knowing her feelings (or projecting his own), and him trying to mollify her discomfort and anger at the end.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

tr0g wrote:
Highway wrote:The obvious: Every Breath You Take is NOT A TOUCHING LOVE SONG!!!

REM's The One I Love. That song is brutal. It is not touching at all, it's sociopathic.
Hell yeah. Mind, Sting sings much more clearly than Michael Stipe did. :D

Mind, my mother didn't realize "Roxanne" was about a prostitute until she heard it sung by a narcoleptic Spaniard; a lot of people just enjoy the music and don't absorb the lyrics.

"Shiny Happy People", though? Supposedly about North Korea. Lolwut, as the kids say.
Highway

Post by Highway »

I've felt that Your Love is from the time before they do it to the time after they do it.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Highway wrote:I've felt that Your Love is from the time before they do it to the time after they do it.
Right, that was my friend's stance. I interpret the bridge and ending as he makes a pass, she uncomfortably declines, she leaves while he reminds/badgers her not to tell anyone. "Just because you're right doesn't mean I'm wrong" always struck me as key. There's definitely wiggle room on whether she was originally on board but changed her mind while at his place, depending on which portions of the song you deem dialogue and which you deem interior monologue. "Come around and talk it over" is a rather suspect line on that count, suggesting that he didn't entirely spring this on her unawares.

That I used the word "deem" to talk about this song only reflects back to how silly the analysis was, but we had fun. :D
Last edited by Eric the .5b on 06 Jan 2014, 15:13, edited 1 time in total.
Ayn_Randian

Post by Ayn_Randian »

Santeria is not some easy-listening chill out song, you stoner clowns. Stop playing it every time someone passes the bowl around.
It has the effect of making me want desperately to do the opposite of what Green Day is suggesting I should want to do. Billy Joe Whassname may have created a generation of war mongers. - Jason L
JD

Post by JD »

tr0g wrote:REM's The One I Love. That song is brutal. It is not touching at all, it's sociopathic.
How does anyone pull much meaning out of that? There are literally maybe 20 distinct words in the lyrics.

This one goes out to the one I love/I've left behind
A simple/another prop to occupy my mind
Fire
She's comin' down on her own now

Anyway, I was thinking of "Lola", but that's maybe too well-known by now.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

JD wrote:
tr0g wrote:REM's The One I Love. That song is brutal. It is not touching at all, it's sociopathic.
How does anyone pull much meaning out of that?
I often have trouble with lyrics (and yet I was a huge fan of REM as a teenager, go figure), and the first few times I heard that song, I didn't have a grasp of what he was singing. Especially when trying to figure out the video. :D I had to actually buy the tape and give it a listen to understand any lyrics beyond "This one goes out to the one I love" and "FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRREEEE!".

On the other hand, it sure doesn't sound like a happy or longing song. I vaguely guessed it was about someone's death. (Of course not, that was "Camera". :D )
Warren

Post by Warren »

I got into this before, but it was years ago, and I think on Hit & Run.
The persona being sung in Sympathy for the Devil is God not the Devil. An examination of the lyrics makes this clear, pronouncements by members of The Rolling Stones notwithstanding.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Warren wrote:I got into this before, but it was years ago, and I think on Hit & Run.
The persona being sung in Sympathy for the Devil is God not the Devil. An examination of the lyrics makes this clear, pronouncements by members of The Rolling Stones notwithstanding.
I've heard that argued elsewhere, too. It made it into the appropriate sections of TV Tropes. It's a very interesting take.
dhex

Post by dhex »

Ayn_Randian wrote:Santeria is not some easy-listening chill out song, you stoner clowns. Stop playing it every time someone passes the bowl around.
suggested edit: "Sublime is the Applebee's of Music"
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
Ayn_Randian

Post by Ayn_Randian »

Warren wrote:I got into this before, but it was years ago, and I think on Hit & Run.
:?
It has the effect of making me want desperately to do the opposite of what Green Day is suggesting I should want to do. Billy Joe Whassname may have created a generation of war mongers. - Jason L
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Traditionally, song titles are put in quotation marks, while full albums are italicized.

I will be over here by myself in my pedantry.
"Ellie is the Warren of comedy." -Shem
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Ellie wrote:I will be over here by myself in my pedantry.
Not alone, I've been using quotes. :)
Ayn_Randian

Post by Ayn_Randian »

dhex wrote:
Ayn_Randian wrote:Santeria is not some easy-listening chill out song, you stoner clowns. Stop playing it every time someone passes the bowl around.
awww man come on why do we have to go to that so quickly
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Eric the .5b wrote:
Ellie wrote:I will be over here by myself in my pedantry.
Not alone, I've been using quotes. :)
I agree. There should be a quote function that just put quote marks around highlighted text.
Warren

Post by Warren »

Eric the .5b wrote:
I've heard that argued elsewhere, too. It made it into the appropriate sections of TV Tropes. It's a very interesting take.
Can you point me to the "appropriate sections"*? I can't find it.

*Actual quote, not a song title.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Warren wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:
Can you point me to the "appropriate sections"*? I can't find it.
WIld Mass Guessing, the Music and Music Videos omnibus page. It's the section for throwing out speculations about the "real meaning" of works, with no sensibility constraint.
tr0g

Post by tr0g »

JD wrote:
How does anyone pull much meaning out of that? There are literally maybe 20 distinct words in the lyrics.

This one goes out to the one I love/I've left behind
A simple/another prop to occupy my mind
Fire
She's comin' down on her own now

Anyway, I was thinking of "Lola", but that's maybe too well-known by now.

This one goes out to the one I love
This one goes out to the one I've left behind
A simple prop to occupy my time

This one goes out to the one I've left behind
Another prop has occupied my time
You were a convenient toy to play with, but I have a new thing now. Bye!
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL
dhex

Post by dhex »

Ayn_Randian wrote:
dhex wrote:
truth knows no stopwatch.

i had a gf in college who was both incredibly unstable and incredibly into sublime. i hate their music despite getting very many an honest to godform transcendent beej to that one album.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Back in the bygone bygone when I had to listen to terrestrial radio in the car, one of three stations was basically the Sublime station. Every other song all day every day. They were meh when I first heard them. They are now sub meh and kind of rage inducing. It isn't their fault.
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

dhex wrote: i hate their music despite getting very many an honest to godform transcendent beej to that one album.
Someday dhex will write his memoirs and I will up and fucking die of joy. 8-)
"Ellie is the Warren of comedy." -Shem
Timothy

Post by Timothy »

dhex wrote:
Ayn_Randian wrote:
dhex wrote:
truth knows no stopwatch.
I always got the feeling that Sublime were more Bennigan's.
"i say make some popcorn and give me a blanket to hide this six foot boner i have." --dhex

"The difference between Hodor! and Jeb! is that at the end of the day, one of them gets to stop pretending he's retarded." -- Jasper