Powerful Mice in Space (The New Star Wars Gripe Thread)

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Eric the .5b

Re: Powerful Mice in Space (The New Star Wars Gripe Thread)

Post by Eric the .5b »

Shem wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 18:09
Eric the .5b wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 17:25
Shem wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 14:12 Not sure how I'd feel about this.
Getting back to the rumor, Doomcock says that plans are in place to save the Star Wars franchise which involves the Abrams and Rian Johnson trilogy getting nullified.

It's claimed the Disney Star Wars Trilogy will be erased using a concept that was recently made canon in the Star Wars Rebels animated series.

"In the Season 4 episode 13 installment titled 'A World Between Worlds,' the concept of the Veil of The Force was introduced, a mystical dimension of The Force that connects all time and space," explains Doomcock. "I have received confirmation from two additional sources claiming that this is spot on -- that indeed LucasFilm realizes they have a massive problem on their hands, that the Star Wars franchise is all but dead, and despite Kathleen Kennedy's hatred of this idea, Lucasfilm is preparing to render the Sequel Trilogy null and void."
Yes, LucasFilm is going to declare take-backsies on three movies released over 4 years and that made ~$4.5 billion.

That's totally going to happen because of something that happened in an animated series.
It's not like they'd have to give that money back. Meanwhile, the comparatively lackluster performance of Solo has to be making them wonder how much money they can wring out of the program they have now. Especially since they now have three movies that nobody was happy with right on top of the best real estate for theoretical new TV series. TV series that could help distinguish the streaming service that's the basis of their long-term business strategy.
TFA and TLJ have Rotten Tomatoes scores of over 90% and Metacritic ratings in the 80s. ROS had a bad reception, but suggesting nobody liked the first two is just silly fanboyism.

To beat $4.5 billion (plus merchandising), they don't have to "distinguish" themselves, they have to become New Netflix. They aren't going to become New Netflix on the back of a few Star Wars series. Even they know that.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Shem

Post by Shem »

thoreau wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 18:37
JasonL wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 18:32 If you think BLM represents a significant rebellion in America, just try to take the whole idea of canon away from nerds and star wars.
"Many Bothans died to bring us this plot twist. Don't Bothan Lives Matter?"
I still want to know why Manny Bothans never got an action figure.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen
Shem

Post by Shem »

Eric the .5b wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 18:45
Shem wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 18:09
Eric the .5b wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 17:25
Shem wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 14:12 Not sure how I'd feel about this.
Getting back to the rumor, Doomcock says that plans are in place to save the Star Wars franchise which involves the Abrams and Rian Johnson trilogy getting nullified.

It's claimed the Disney Star Wars Trilogy will be erased using a concept that was recently made canon in the Star Wars Rebels animated series.

"In the Season 4 episode 13 installment titled 'A World Between Worlds,' the concept of the Veil of The Force was introduced, a mystical dimension of The Force that connects all time and space," explains Doomcock. "I have received confirmation from two additional sources claiming that this is spot on -- that indeed LucasFilm realizes they have a massive problem on their hands, that the Star Wars franchise is all but dead, and despite Kathleen Kennedy's hatred of this idea, Lucasfilm is preparing to render the Sequel Trilogy null and void."
Yes, LucasFilm is going to declare take-backsies on three movies released over 4 years and that made ~$4.5 billion.

That's totally going to happen because of something that happened in an animated series.
It's not like they'd have to give that money back. Meanwhile, the comparatively lackluster performance of Solo has to be making them wonder how much money they can wring out of the program they have now. Especially since they now have three movies that nobody was happy with right on top of the best real estate for theoretical new TV series. TV series that could help distinguish the streaming service that's the basis of their long-term business strategy.
TFA and TLJ have Rotten Tomatoes scores of over 90% and Metacritic ratings in the 80s. ROS had a bad reception, but suggesting nobody liked the first two is just silly fanboyism.

To beat $4.5 billion (plus merchandising), they don't have to "distinguish" themselves, they have to become New Netflix. They aren't going to become New Netflix on the back of a few Star Wars series. Even they know that.
Why do you keep raising the 4.5 billion dollar number as if it's something awaiting them in the future?
It's not like they got it in some kind of annuity. It's theirs, no matter what they do, and neither keeping nor dismissing the current movies will suddenly make them lose that 4.5 billion. Meanwhile, the three separate, quite lucrative releases of Skyrim illustrate a very important point; "nerds love paying twice for the same item." This is no different.

Besides, it's not like Disney hasn't done exactly this before, when they bought the properties. And the fanbase howled in outrage, before dropping another several billion dollars.

As for the argument about not becoming new Netflix on the back of a few series, how exactly do you think Netflix became Netflix? The whole reason they went beyond "Blockbuster killer" was House of Cards and Orange is the New Black, which they parleyed into the rest of their original programming.
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Star Wars is married to one continuity in a deep, weird, and abiding way. Almost everything, whether a movie to an old video game to someone's half-assed military SF revised into a tie-in novel to a Saturday morning cartoon back (when that was a thing), has been supposedly all in the same continuity, just with different levels of importance. Contradictions with more central material are just flaws that push a work away from the central Truth.

A big reason for that is that most Star Wars stuff hasn't been adaptation. Lucas started up a video game studio back in the 80s (admittedly, a historically good one) rather than let someone else make Star Wars games that might not ring true. Up until the late 90s, anything with "Star Wars" on it was tightly controlled. In contrast, Marvel and DC had zillions of adaptations over the decades and fans comfortable with different whacky continuities. That's how you get things like Into the Spider-Verse or the comics it was based on.

The Expanded Universe was the single thing that was closest to an alternate universe, because Lucas really didn't care about what anyone wrote in it. But part of its pretense was that it was Real Star Wars. Once writers started building up a history of events after Return of the Jedi, it was on borrowed time (if quite a lot of it). But it apparently got very crappy (something something, fascist Jedis team up with the Imperial Remnant and save/conquer the galaxy, which is a happy ending), which is why not many people cared when it got demoted in canonicity and rebranded "Legends".

To make a very geeky reference, the Expanded Universe was less like Star Trek tie-in novels and more like Star Wars' version of the Star Fleet Battles setting.

(There's also the alternate-universe stuff Dark Horse comics did, including the demented one based on Lucas' early drafts for The Star Wars, but waaay fewer people have ever heard of those.)
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Sunk costs are a fallacy, but they exist, Shem. They're not going to declare do-over based on one disappointing movie and cite something from the show as a reason...because why would that credibly mean they'd make more money from future sequels? They'll do what everyone else does and just re-contextualize/contradict themselves in a latter movie.
Shem wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 19:12As for the argument about not becoming new Netflix on the back of a few series, how exactly do you think Netflix became Netflix? The whole reason they went beyond "Blockbuster killer" was House of Cards and Orange is the New Black, which they parleyed into the rest of their original programming.
What you're missing is that that required them starting as "Blockbuster Killer", especially after already making a successful transition to streaming. It took two major achievements over the 16 years prior just to get to the point of pushing their own content with little risk.
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Also, FFS, are we really in a place where it has to be explained that some random angry geek guy YouTube channel's rumor that LucasFilm is going to reboot its movie series is kinda unlikely?
Painboy

Post by Painboy »

Eric the .5b wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 19:53 Also, FFS, are we really in a place where it has to be explained that some random angry geek guy YouTube channel's rumor that LucasFilm is going to reboot its movie series is kinda unlikely?
But it was posted by Doomcock. Doomcock, man.
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Slip inside a sleeping bag.
Jake

Post by Jake »

dbcooper wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 10:16
Why the disemvoweling? Did Adam Driver get cancelled or something?
"One doesn't want to be a Chicken Little but OTOH does the sky look closer to you? It looks closer to me." -- Warren
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Jake wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 03:11
Why the disemvoweling? Did Adam Driver get cancelled or something?
Nah, the twitter person is just insane.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.
Warren

Post by Warren »

Jake wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 03:11disemvoweling
Nice. Did you just coin that?
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Warren wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 11:06
It was a common thing used to moderate blog comments back in the 00’s
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
dhex

Post by dhex »

i'm a little slow today but what's the deal with the ages? is that even notable?
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

dhex wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 12:42 i'm a little slow today but what's the deal with the ages? is that even notable?
My reading is that the OP is a clueless Zoomer who doesn't understand that age gaps aren't that big a deal when you're an adult. He's getting ratio'ed pretty hard. And dad-guy is trolling him by retweeting.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

Hugh Akston wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 13:14
dhex wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 12:42 i'm a little slow today but what's the deal with the ages? is that even notable?
My reading is that the OP is a clueless Zoomer who doesn't understand that age gaps aren't that big a deal when you're an adult. He's getting ratio'ed pretty hard. And dad-guy is trolling him by retweeting.
Yeah. I'm pretty sure that *d*m Dr*v*r is getting disemvowelled because he, as a 36-year-old man, kissed a 28-year-old woman on screen, which is abusive and pedophilic.
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Kolohe wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 11:34
It was a common thing used to moderate blog comments back in the 00’s
I used to disemvowel comments by Corn Syrup Boy when I was blogging.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
Shem

Post by Shem »

I think in this case it was a search-engine resistant way of saying "Don't @ me."
Painboy

Post by Painboy »

This was cute. Deepfaking Harrison Ford and Billy Dee Williams into Solo. Only the different voices really blow it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC3uH4Xw4Xo

Jake

Post by Jake »

I wish. It seems that "yokeltarian" will remain my sole contribution to our mother tongue.
"One doesn't want to be a Chicken Little but OTOH does the sky look closer to you? It looks closer to me." -- Warren
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Interesting take on what Rise of Skywalker did right

tl;dw it is 100% cinematography
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Hugh Akston wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 18:55 Interesting take on what Rise of Skywalker did right

This confirms my biases and TLDW I concur with what I imagine the video says.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

lunchstealer wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 19:07
Hugh Akston wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 18:55 Interesting take on what Rise of Skywalker did right

This confirms my biases and TLDW I concur with what I imagine the video says.
Yeah the last line in the video is "shame about that script though".