Food

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
dbcooper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Food

Post by dbcooper » 23 May 2019, 03:39

Sage leaves, artichoke hearts, and olives are what I add to a peperoni pizza.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Mo
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Mo » 23 May 2019, 05:54

Pineapple and black olives is surprisingly delicious.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 09 Jun 2019, 18:34

I haven't had this recipe myself but a friend of mine made it today and is raving about it, so I'm sharing it because why not?

Samin Nosrat's Soy-Braised Short Ribs
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

dhex

Post by dhex » 09 Jun 2019, 21:50

My kid wants to make that after we watched her show. Maybe this fall.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Jun 2019, 19:05

Cold Asparagus Salad

This was great, and also refrigerator Velcro. I was light on tomatoes, so I threw in some roasted red and green pepper, and some left over grilled zucchini, and I left out the nuts.
The vinaigrette really works and it's so simple and basic. You can whip it up with staples you keep on hand (balsamic vinegar being the most exotic ingredient) in a couple of minutes.
The feta, asparagus, and vinaigrette get together and have a party in your mouth.

Vinaigrette

6 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tsp dijon mustard
2 tsp honey
1 clove garlic , minced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 27 Jul 2019, 22:06

I've been craving baked macaroni and cheese for awhile now (I have a VERY tasty recipe for it), but I don't like using the oven during AC season. While grocery shopping today I saw they had Cracker Barrel "sharp white cheddar" mac and cheese on sale for a low price --the frozen microwaveable kind -- so I figured what the hell, give it a try, at least it doesn't require the oven ... yikes, that is some of the blandest "sharp cheddar" mac I've ever tasted in my life. Even stovetop mac and cheese from a box tastes cheesier than that.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

dhex

Post by dhex » 28 Jul 2019, 14:42

My dudes

Peri peri tacos are the fucking destruction. So good.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 03 Aug 2019, 21:45

So we went browsing at the 99 Ranch Market yesterday. We picked up a bunch of cup o’ noodles things just for fun. One was mostly labeled in chinese and we missed the ‘Szechuan’ on it. Boy, them people ain’t playing when they doing it for the home team and not toning it down for the white boys.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 01 Sep 2019, 21:38

Made a raw tomato sauce using the “tomato water” approach. So normally raw sauces are basically like a bruschetta topping. Chopped tomatoes herbs etc in a bowl with EVO. Loose mix in with pasta. Is what I usually do.

This other approach has you salt the 1/4” dice tomatoes in a bowl and leave it for an hour or more. Make your pasta, then cook garlic and shallot in EVO, dump the tomatoes over the pan through a strainer so only the juice goes through. Use pasta water and butter to emulsify, toss pastes in the pan. Then you top each bowl with the tomatoes in the strainer.

Really solid approach. Cooked alliums and emulsified tomatoey sauce on the pasta, freshened up with the tomatoes an tons of basil.

JD

Post by JD » 03 Sep 2019, 10:51

My wife made a really awesome slow-cooked pork in an orange/garlic/cilantro mojo, with some onions and cubanelle peppers stewed with it. Goes really great with black beans and rice.

Also, we've been upping our homemade ice cream game. Made strawberry and then peach ice cream, and we're going to try chocolate soon.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Warren

Post by Warren » 04 Sep 2019, 20:46

Roasted some red and green peppers. Then diced them up and dehydrated them in the toaster oven. Did the same with onion and garlic. Then chopped fine and mixed all with a little EVOO. Spread on salmon and did cedar plank on the grill. First time I tried anything like that. Really packs the flavor.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 05 Sep 2019, 13:08

JD wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 10:51
My wife made a really awesome slow-cooked pork in an orange/garlic/cilantro mojo, with some onions and cubanelle peppers stewed with it. Goes really great with black beans and rice.
Did similar a few weeks back. Marinaded a pork butt in OJ/garlic/oregano/cinnamon/chili flakes for a day, then seared it on the grill and finished in a crock pot for 6 hours with half the marinade. Had two meals with rice and beans, then shredded up the remainder and did tacos with a quick cabbage & red onion slaw.

By the end of the week, I felt like I could dance a salsa.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 08 Sep 2019, 15:31

Not long after moving to Atlanta (which has LOTS of restaurants and food stores run by and for immigrants), I discovered "punjabi samosas" -- punjabi apparently is the name of a filling made of mashed potatoes and peas plus LOTS of spicy spices. Also, one of the Indian supermarkets where we bought samosas in the frozen food aisle also sold their own homemade carryout "bread pakora," which is basically a sandwich made with punjabi samosa filling, then the whole thing is deep-fried.

I love them both but I had to stop eating them because when I first discovered them, they were so spicy they'd make my eyes water and my nose run --and three years later they still do. I figured eventually I would build up a tolerance for the spiciness, but that never happened. Every time I eat them I look and sound like someone going through extreme emotional and mild physical distress.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

dhex

Post by dhex » 08 Sep 2019, 21:04

That's half the fun of spicy food dude.

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Sep 2019, 22:45

dhex wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 21:04
What's the other half?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD » 09 Sep 2019, 10:14

Tried making rocky road ice cream. This is the first time making chocolate ice cream too, so a bit of a learning experience. First lesson: it is actually possible for chocolate ice cream to be too rich, I think. Second lesson: I'm not sure exactly how the pros do it, but now I see why all the home recipes say to just put in mini marshmallows. We tried adding marshmallow fluff while we were putting the ice cream into the containers, and while I think it will be totally edible, it was a real nuisance and made a huge mess.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Jake

Post by Jake » 09 Sep 2019, 11:32

Warren wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 22:45
dhex wrote:
What's the other half?
Watching someone with less spice tolerance than you have eating the same thing.
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

Mo

Post by Mo » 09 Sep 2019, 11:33

Warren wrote:
dhex wrote:
What's the other half?
Your eyes watering and nose running when you poop.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 09 Sep 2019, 12:56

dhex wrote:
For sho!
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 09 Sep 2019, 13:27

Jennifer wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 15:31
Not long after moving to Atlanta (which has LOTS of restaurants and food stores run by and for immigrants), I discovered "punjabi samosas" -- punjabi apparently is the name of a filling made of mashed potatoes and peas plus LOTS of spicy spices. Also, one of the Indian supermarkets where we bought samosas in the frozen food aisle also sold their own homemade carryout "bread pakora," which is basically a sandwich made with punjabi samosa filling, then the whole thing is deep-fried.

I love them both but I had to stop eating them because when I first discovered them, they were so spicy they'd make my eyes water and my nose run --and three years later they still do. I figured eventually I would build up a tolerance for the spiciness, but that never happened. Every time I eat them I look and sound like someone going through extreme emotional and mild physical distress.
for some reason I find it hilarious that you had to go to Atlanta to discover samosas and pakora

(pretty sure "punjabi" means "from punjab" tho...)
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Sep 2019, 15:52

Mo wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 11:33
Warren wrote:
dhex wrote:
What's the other half?
Your eyes watering and nose running when you poop.
Really? You should probably talk to someone about that. I don't think you should feel it in your head when you poop.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 09 Sep 2019, 16:02

nicole wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 13:27

for some reason I find it hilarious that you had to go to Atlanta to discover samosas and pakora

I already knew about samosas, but not that particular punjabi flavor. (I forget the names of the various frozen-food companies whose samosas we'd buy and eat, but at lest three of them made that spicy potato-and-pea punjabi version.)

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 10 Sep 2019, 18:39

My King Soopers (local Kroger-owned brand) just moved across the parking lot and into their brand new building, and now they have a snooty cheese counter. They had stilton. I assume it's not really English, and it's obviously pasteurized, but still, quite tasty for six bucks worth of cheese.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 10 Sep 2019, 19:44

The kroger cheese counter provided by Murrays is freaking awesome for a big grocery chain. Murrays Reserve Gouda is the shit.

JD

Post by JD » 11 Sep 2019, 09:58

nicole wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 13:27
Which is not to say it doesn't mean something else specific, though - I mean "frankfurter" means "of Frankfurt", but it also means something more specific than that.