Food

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Re: Food

Post by Warren »

Jadagul wrote: 18 Oct 2020, 00:33 I've never managed to keep potatoes good for more than like a week and a half. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but not entirely sure what.

(Probably keeping them in a cabinet would be the first step, but then I'd never remember I had them. And even when I've done that they haven't lasted _that_ long.)
1 Your cabinet is too warm
2 Your potatoes are all in a bag and can't breath
3 You're not culling out potatoes that are starting to turn
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Warren wrote: 18 Oct 2020, 10:30
Jadagul wrote: 18 Oct 2020, 00:33 I've never managed to keep potatoes good for more than like a week and a half. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but not entirely sure what.

(Probably keeping them in a cabinet would be the first step, but then I'd never remember I had them. And even when I've done that they haven't lasted _that_ long.)
What are we? Farmers?
Warren

Post by Warren »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 18 Oct 2020, 15:29
Warren wrote: 18 Oct 2020, 10:30

What are we? Farmers?
You want to stuff takeout and delivery into your maw for the privilege of seeing another day, that's your business.
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
Kwix

Post by Kwix »

The wife has been in Maryland visiting her girlfriend so I've had the kitchen to myself. A lack of fish dishes so far but I did a bulgogi style ground beef that has seen me through two dinners and two breakfasts, one fried rice style and the other with barely cooked backyard eggs.
I used fressh grated ginger, but otherwise this is it:
https://damndelicious.net/2013/07/07/korean-beef-bowl/

Next up is either a smoked salmon chowder or halibut olympia. Also bought some anchovies to try this:
https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food ... ter-366412

I understand it is fantastic on roasted veg.
"People are sometimes the answer, but they are ALWAYS the problem." -- Ellie
"I thought during the apocalypse I would be counting ammo rounds instead of toilet paper rolls." --Twba
JD

Post by JD »

I encountered the tonka bean about 15 years ago while visiting the Caribbean, and this article is about ten years old, but I just found it today: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... gal/65616/

tl;dr: the tonka bean is being championed by chefs, but it's illegal in the US because of overblown fears that it contains a blood-thinning chemical. Nevermind that so do a whole lot of other commonly-used plants, in similar amounts, or that it's not illegal in the rest of the world and they don't seem to be suffering any ill effects; the FDA refuses to back down.

A good thing to keep in mind whenever people go all "but regulations are there for your health and safety! you don't want people to sell you unsafe food, do you?" That's the idea, and yet somehow it ends up with FDA inspectors spending their time busting restaurants for using something used around the world with no ill effects...
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston