Star Trek Wankery

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Re: Star Trek Wankery

Post by Warren »

Kolohe wrote: 17 Nov 2020, 10:07 I’ve been watching Discovery as it’s being re-aired on regular ol CBS. I like it. Though I can’t keep track of which Klingon is which to save my life.

I seem to remember the reviews on it when the first season came out being somewhat mixed. To me, it’s certainly the best out of the gate series since TOS, and has decided to take character risks that no one has done before in Trek.
:? Can't tell if serious.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Warren wrote: 17 Nov 2020, 10:30
Kolohe wrote: 17 Nov 2020, 10:07 I’ve been watching Discovery as it’s being re-aired on regular ol CBS. I like it. Though I can’t keep track of which Klingon is which to save my life.

I seem to remember the reviews on it when the first season came out being somewhat mixed. To me, it’s certainly the best out of the gate series since TOS, and has decided to take character risks that no one has done before in Trek.
TBF, TNG started with Wesley and Troi and the hand-holding space jellyfish, DS9 had a lot of Jake in the first ep, Enterprise had that soft rock theme song, and that leaves Voyager. I think it's not insane to rank STD above the VOY pilot, depending on one's tolerance for Neelix and the hair of the Kazon.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Discovery has been better than I expected, although at this point I think Michael should start each episode with a voice-over "Time, the final frontier..."

Honestly, TOS was an enduring cult hit because there was so little even mediocre science fiction in the 1960s, Roddenberry's perspective fit the zeitgeist and the lead characters worked well together. (Better, actually,than their Freudian roots.) Special effects were, of course, ho-hum and not much better than early Doctor Who episodes and, really, the show had maybe four or five plots it kept recycling.

Each subsequent iteration has gotten better in some ways (obviously, special effects) and worse in some ways. If Discovery is a bit more cutting edge now, well, that's how TV in general has moved. But as I explained to my son recently, we're just going to be beat over the head with one Star Trek / Star Wars show after another until we're all sick and tired of the damned things and I'm pretty close to that point already.
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

lunchstealer wrote: 17 Nov 2020, 12:41

TBF, TNG started with Wesley and Troi and the hand-holding space jellyfish, DS9 had a lot of Jake in the first ep, Enterprise had that soft rock theme song, and that leaves Voyager. I think it's not insane to rank STD above the VOY pilot, depending on one's tolerance for Neelix and the hair of the Kazon.
I literally joebiden have never seen the Voyager pilot. I think I did start watching it in the first season, then came back to it later, but never have watched any reruns since its initial airing.

I am serious. I am only 5, 6? episodes into disco, (I don’t think I missed any with the election preemption, but not positive), and just the ‘hey maybe the Captain is a bad guy’ is a refreshing difference. And I don’t think they’re going the antihero route. It may go off the rails in short order but it has my attention.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Kolohe wrote: 17 Nov 2020, 14:12
lunchstealer wrote: 17 Nov 2020, 12:41

I literally joebiden have never seen the Voyager pilot. I think I did start watching it in the first season, then came back to it later, but never have watched any reruns since its initial airing.

I am serious. I am only 5, 6? episodes into disco, (I don’t think I missed any with the election preemption, but not positive), and just the ‘hey maybe the Captain is a bad guy’ is a refreshing difference. And I don’t think they’re going the antihero route. It may go off the rails in short order but it has my attention.
Hell there's still an open question at that point whether Michael is actually a good guy.

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

I always forget how much DS9 & Voyager overlapped in their initial syndication runs. I always think voyager started and ended much later compared to when DS9 was produced.

ETA - and that all three of TNG, DS9, & VOY all had about the same number of episodes (170-180)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Kolohe wrote: 17 Nov 2020, 15:48 I always forget how much DS9 & Voyager overlapped in their initial syndication runs. I always think voyager started and ended much later compared to when DS9 was produced.

ETA - and that all three of TNG, DS9, & VOY all had about the same number of episodes (170-180)
Even Enterprise ran for four seasons, though no one I know admits to having watched more than a few episodes.

Now, if on Star Trek: Picard Jean-Luc turns into a bad guy, then we're talking!
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 17 Nov 2020, 18:37
Kolohe wrote: 17 Nov 2020, 15:48 I always forget how much DS9 & Voyager overlapped in their initial syndication runs. I always think voyager started and ended much later compared to when DS9 was produced.

Even Enterprise ran for four seasons, though no one I know admits to having watched more than a few episodes.

Now, if on Star Trek: Picard Jean-Luc turns into a bad guy, then we're talking!
I think mrs lunch may've watched most of it. If not her then probably it was my boss I'm thinking of.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Slip inside a sleeping bag.