Guns and Whatnot.

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JD

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by JD »

This reminds me - our local precinct was bragging on Facebook about how they took another illegal gun off the street, complete with a picture of the gun. It was a .22 RG revolver. They haven't made those since 1986, and they were the cheapest of cheap handguns even back then. I'm amazed any are still in circulation; likely as not it's just been sitting in somebody's drawer since 1975.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

I find it hard to believe anyone wouldn't want to keep what appears to be a salvageable Glock. I might or might not tell the police depending on whether I was worried about it being an instrument of crime such that possessing it might come back and bite me on the ass but, otoh, a functioning weapon not traceable to me might be a good thing, too.
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Why do I distance myself from gun culture writ large? Hmm. Tough question.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/k7q8 ... heir-dicks
Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

JasonL wrote: 29 May 2020, 12:40 Why do I distance myself from gun culture writ large? Hmm. Tough question.

I take your general point, and tend to do the same, but this is another case of normies not getting edgy humor. It's humorous to see Vice take the bait though.
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Dangerman wrote: 29 May 2020, 13:10
JasonL wrote: 29 May 2020, 12:40 Why do I distance myself from gun culture writ large? Hmm. Tough question.

I take your general point, and tend to do the same, but this is another case of normies not getting edgy humor. It's humorous to see Vice take the bait though.
This is my thing about normie / non normie distinctions. These people should be culled from the herd and set on fire. That isn't edgy.
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

JasonL wrote: 29 May 2020, 13:38

This is my thing about normie / non normie distinctions. These people should be culled from the herd and set on fire. That isn't edgy.
They're already pointing loaded guns at their nuts and putting their fingers on the triggers. One nudge and the herd will be cleansed.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Like everyone else said, yeah, ok they sure p0wned me
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

I think the problem is that edgy humor is only one of those things and barely even that. Rule of Goats, now and always.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

thoreau wrote: 29 May 2020, 13:48
JasonL wrote: 29 May 2020, 13:38

They're already pointing loaded guns at their nuts and putting their fingers on the triggers. One gentle bump and the herd will be cleansed.
Jesus Christ, T, have you learned NOTHING about corn syrup?

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

JD

Post by JD »

Fudds—as in Bugs Bunny hunter Elmer Fudd—are the old heads, weirdos, and dedicated gun nuts.
ICBW and/or common usage might have changed, but back when I spent time on gun boards, that was absolutely not what "Fudd" meant. Fudds were people who were all "I'm a gun owner too, but I'm for responsible gun ownership and reasonable gun control! My family has owned guns for generations for hunting and target shooting, but nobody needs semiautomatic assault weapons!", i.e. someone whose views were pretty much indistinguishable from a mainstream gun-controller's, and thought every gun except their was bad, but that the fact they owned a gun made their views somehow smarter.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Warren

Post by Warren »

Illinois Craft Beer Week?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

I Can't Be Wanking?
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD
Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

Kolohe wrote: 29 May 2020, 14:20

Like everyone else said, yeah, ok they sure p0wned me
It wasn't directed at you though. You didn't get pwnd at all.
Warren

Post by Warren »

D-man, bro
They are literally pointing guns at their dicks. I think your snarkometer is out of cal.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

It's an inside joke that got out. It's not really funny, but it's also not worthy of coverage.
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Do they at least call themselves cock glockers?
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

See, that's funny.
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Ellie wrote: 29 May 2020, 15:08 I Can't Be Wanking?
Warren wrote: 29 May 2020, 15:06 Illinois Craft Beer Week?
Illinois Craft Beer Wank

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I ran across this.... uh, pistol, recently. Apparently that's not a stock, but an arm brace. I've fired 10mm before and found it a bit much, but in something like this, it could be much more manageable, and 30 round magazines are always fun.

I guess the current ATF attitude is that the Banshee and others like it are not forbidden Short Barrel Rifles because they don't have a stock. This seems like something the ATF could change on day 2 of the next Team Blue administration (and because it's firearms related, they could completely ignore the APA and have courts be fine with it).

Am I missing something? It looks fun, but I wouldn't want something that could require a tax stamp in a few months/years.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex
Warren

Post by Warren »

Andrew wrote: 22 Jun 2020, 12:11 Apparently that's not a stock, but an arm brace.
:roll:
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

The arm brace exemption is a running joke going back a decade or more. It's just one of many examples of people making things that work around your specifications of scary hardware.
Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

The ATF has had ample opportunity to clamp down on braces and AR pistol type things. I don't see any restrictions emerging without specific legislation being passed in the meantime. 10mm being slightly harder to get than 9mm/.45ACP would be a caveat though.