Familiar spirits

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
D.A. Ridgely

Re: Familiar spirits

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Thanks to all for the condolences. I won't keep posting frankly morbid updates and will probably only make one more post about Sarah when she does die. We took her to the vet this morning. We had to carry her in a car blanket litter to the back seat of the car. They did blood work and took x-rays and she has a large tumor in/around her abdomen. There are surgical options but even the best case scenario might buy her only another 6 months to a year of being a very old dog with arthritis. Plus, of course, surgery is always a risk and, to be honest, quite expensive. The vet gave us meds to try to stimulate her appetite and more pain meds and she's been lying in the same spot in the family room we carried her to when we brought her home. She doesn't seem to be in pain so we'll keep trying palliative care till next week and if she's still with us we'll start considering other options.
Painboy

Post by Painboy »

Sorry to hear that DAR.
Highway

Post by Highway »

Best wishes for a peaceful end of life and hope you can all support each other.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Sorry to hear DAR. Best wishes.
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Sarah died shortly after 6 pm.

Thanks again and in advance for your condolences. I really do appreciate it.
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Condolences DAR and family.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Sorry to hear it, DAR.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
Highway

Post by Highway »

Just wanted to repost this recall notice in case anyone used this type of cat food:

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2020/07/04 ... oZKkJP_YOg
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

These two really don't like each other very much.
StellaSnooflMindMeld.jpg
StellaSnooflMindMeld.jpg (98.84 KiB) Viewed 692 times
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Meet the newest member of the household, Ludwig van Boop (I wanted to name him Murderface but was overruled) :
IMG_9158.JPG
IMG_9158.JPG (1.28 MiB) Viewed 540 times
IMG_9193.JPG
IMG_9193.JPG (1.95 MiB) Viewed 540 times
IMG_9268.JPG
IMG_9268.JPG (1.47 MiB) Viewed 540 times
He's a hognose snake, which is very mildly venomous. They aren't as dangerous as rattlers or such; the hognose basically gnaws it's victims while the venom, more of a sedative really, flows along a groove in the fang until the prey falls asleep and then snek can swallow it.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
Warren

Post by Warren »

dead_elvis wrote: 09 Oct 2020, 19:51 Meet the newest member of the household, Ludwig van Boop (I wanted to name him Murderface but was overruled) :
It's spelled "Ludwig van Boop", but it's pronounced "Murderface".
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Offscreen: Watch out for snakes!
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Aww, so cute! I love him!

I have been trying to convince the kids that we should get a snake as a pet on the bus but nobody is going for it. When I asked Baby Supply, her face contorted in horror and then she said with infinite tact, "I think the snake would prefer to live in the forest."

Hugh Akston wrote: 10 Oct 2020, 10:34 Offscreen: Watch out for snakes!
*high five*
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD
Warren

Post by Warren »

Ellie wrote: 12 Oct 2020, 09:52 Aww, so cute! I love him!

I have been trying to convince the kids that we should get a snake as a pet on the bus but nobody is going for it. When I asked Baby Supply, her face contorted in horror and then she said with infinite tact, "I think the snake would prefer to live in the forest."

Hugh Akston wrote: 10 Oct 2020, 10:34 Offscreen: Watch out for snakes!
*high five*
A snake terrarium would take up precious cm3s. A tarantula needs less than half that.
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

I hear 400 blood curdling screams a day because they've seen a box elder bug on the exterior of the foyer window. A giant crawly spider is gonna be a harder sell than a snake.
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD
Warren

Post by Warren »

Fine. Get a gecko.

ETA
If my kid screamed every time they saw a bug outside the window, I'd make them eat it. Probably for the best I never had any. Kids not bugs that is.
JD

Post by JD »

My cats usually get along pretty well - there is occasional squabbling, as there always is with cats, but overall they're pretty peaceful. They will even happily eat from the same dish together. If there is any fuss, it's usually Fury who causes it, because she thinks it's fun to swat Max while he's sitting on the couch or something. But at night, for whatever reason, we're sometimes woken up by pitiful squeaking, and it's because Max is biting Fury (with the two of them on our bed, sometimes literally on top of me) and won't let go until we prod him. I have no idea what causes this, because it only seems to happen when we're asleep.

But last night, I woke up and looked over, and there were the two of them, lying nose-to-nose, as peaceably as could be, and there was no biting at all the whole night. Maybe they finally worked out whatever the issue was.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Highway

Post by Highway »

JD wrote: 13 Oct 2020, 09:52 My cats usually get along pretty well - there is occasional squabbling, as there always is with cats, but overall they're pretty peaceful. They will even happily eat from the same dish together. If there is any fuss, it's usually Fury who causes it, because she thinks it's fun to swat Max while he's sitting on the couch or something. But at night, for whatever reason, we're sometimes woken up by pitiful squeaking, and it's because Max is biting Fury (with the two of them on our bed, sometimes literally on top of me) and won't let go until we prod him. I have no idea what causes this, because it only seems to happen when we're asleep.

But last night, I woke up and looked over, and there were the two of them, lying nose-to-nose, as peaceably as could be, and there was no biting at all the whole night. Maybe they finally worked out whatever the issue was.
Probably just for that night. Cats are always "renegotiating" their agreements, and there's no such thing as a long-term stable detente. Our cats have gone from Pippin monopolizing time with my wife on the couch and chasing Merry off for the whole night (this was the pattern for 2 years) to now the Merry is completely unchallenged with her the whole time, and Pippin only makes a couple of visits in there a night. It's all down to what they want, how much they want it, and how willing they are to fight the other one for it.