Twitter!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Jennifer

Re: Twitter!

Post by Jennifer »

[Sigh]

Point the first: when I, personally, "seek out art" -- whether that means "buying something decorative for my home" or "deciding what movie or show to watch" or "which book to read" or anything else, my goal is not to "promote diversity" (that's something I do in other contexts); it's to find something I actually like. When I buy a decoration it's because I think it will make my home (or my own person) look nicer. If I watch or read something, it's because I think it will give me entertainment, or information, or whatever it is I'm looking for. I am almost certainly going to watch Sam Esmail's Battlestar Galactica reboot when it comes out, but I will do this because I like science fiction and (mostly) like what I've seen of Esmail's prior work, not because my native whitebread self wants to show support for Egyptian-Americans.

Point the second: although I don't have the time or the inclination to search for them, I know there have been many posts on this forum where people showed, like, tweets or Facebook posts or whatever railing against cultural appropriation a la "White people can't wear non-white-people clothing, or put non-white-people art in their homes, or whatever."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Jennifer wrote:
14 Jan 2020, 18:51
[Sigh]

Point the first: when I, personally, "seek out art" -- whether that means "buying something decorative for my home" or "deciding what movie or show to watch" or "which book to read" or anything else, my goal is not to "promote diversity" (that's something I do in other contexts); it's to find something I actually like. When I buy a decoration it's because I think it will make my home (or my own person) look nicer. If I watch or read something, it's because I think it will give me entertainment, or information, or whatever it is I'm looking for. I am almost certainly going to watch Sam Esmail's Battlestar Galactica reboot when it comes out, but I will do this because I like science fiction and (mostly) like what I've seen of Esmail's prior work, not because my native whitebread self wants to show support for Egyptian-Americans.

Point the second: although I don't have the time or the inclination to search for them, I know there have been many posts on this forum where people showed, like, tweets or Facebook posts or whatever railing against cultural appropriation a la "White people can't wear non-white-people clothing, or put non-white-people art in their homes, or whatever."
WELCOME TO THE CIS-HETERO NORMATIVE WHITE PATRIARCHY!
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

This guy has just invented Christianity.

"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

I've been enjoying twitter's response to the Parnas criminal conspiracy notes, many of which are chronicled in this thread.

My faves:

and

"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

nicole wrote:
14 Jan 2020, 11:37
P sure I just read a right-winger’s conspiracy-ish thread that included the assumption being a member of Skull and Bones was lefty and I have officially crossed over to the other side of the looking glass, please send help in the form of magic mushrooms.
You can't throw out a summary like that and not share.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

thoreau wrote:
14 Jan 2020, 19:35

Only if that tweet comes back tomorrow.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

thoreau wrote:
14 Jan 2020, 19:35

And now that account's suspended. What'd he do?
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

He tweeted something about men needing to hear messages about how they should seek redemption, rather than hearing positive messages about how they can be great with just a little effort.

I don't know what he did to get suspended. I would have guessed that he'd taken his account private to avoid the deluge of, well, people like me gawking at him.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

nicole

Post by nicole »

You have to click through to see the first tweet in the thread but I think you basically get the idea

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

nicole wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 12:06
You have to click through to see the first tweet in the thread but I think you basically get the idea
Spoons and ditch digging for all!

JD

Post by JD »

Andrew wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 12:45
nicole wrote:
Yeah, when the guy said "Watch as two engineers put hundreds of thousands of people out of work worldwide!" my thought was, "So are you against mechanical elevators too? I mean, you could employ a whole lot of people to operate elevators, to say nothing of turning a big crank to move them up and down..."
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

--Mo

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

JD wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 14:13
Andrew wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 12:45
nicole wrote:
Yeah, when the guy said "Watch as two engineers put hundreds of thousands of people out of work worldwide!" my thought was, "So are you against mechanical elevators too? I mean, you could employ a whole lot of people to operate elevators, to say nothing of turning a big crank to move them up and down..."
Take out the motors and pay people to run on wheels to power the things.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Fact check: True

--Mo

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

thoreau wrote:
19 Jan 2020, 13:50
Fact check: True

Note, this does not hold true for Tindr/love.

THIS NEVER HAPPENS
GamestersOfTriskelionWhatIsLove.jpg
GamestersOfTriskelionWhatIsLove.jpg (146.95 KiB) Viewed 488 times
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

People have been referencing this issue of Time in japes about the NYT today, so I noticed the *reason* Time gave then. We now know the "Information Age" is actually controlled by a handful of monopolies and a clique of venture-capital perverts.

Not saying that’s relevant…
You're the one that stopped blogging, my man.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole »

This has been going around for a few days and every time I see it I'm just like....they were poor and had babies.

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

My ancestors evolved opposable thumbs and learned how to use tools.
--Mo

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Got the fuck out of Germany before the 20th century.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

On one side of the tree, one branch is the German protestant settlers invited by the British into Atlantic Canada in the mid 18th century to ethnically cleanse another branch composed of the French Catholic settlers that were already there. These two branches would eventually meet back in the US circa 1940.

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

One cool thing my ancestors did was survive the ice age.
--Mo

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Mine learned how to sexually reproduce.

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Mine appropriated the labor of aerobic bacteria so that they wouldn't have to oxidize their own glucose.
--Mo

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

dead_elvis wrote:
23 Jan 2020, 12:53
They were hipsters?

JD

Post by JD »

dead_elvis wrote:
23 Jan 2020, 12:53
One of my ancestors deserted from the Czar's army, escaped across Russia by hopping trains and traveling in the dead of night, and got the fuck out of Russia and out of Europe entirely.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston