Twitter!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Hugh Akston

Re: Twitter!

Post by Hugh Akston »

Is there such a thing as a channel on Twitter? What are they, how do they work, and how does one see it if one has not yet signed on to the greatest social networking thing in history OMG?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

I have no idea. I don't know how hashbrowns, er, hashtags work or why, I don't understand following and being followed or how you link to somewhere else or have somewhere else link to you.

It's all a mystery. I just tap out my random musings and let fly.

Highway

Post by Highway »

No, there's no 'channels'. If you want to index your tweets with keywords, you do that through hashtags, which are basically #whateverkeywordsyouwant. If you want your friends, or other people who are interested in that indexed subject to see your witty reply to theirs, you can join in a hashtag conversation at any time.

Look upthread (I think) for information about searching twitter without having an account (where I was wrong).

When you follow someone, you see all the public tweets they make. When someone follows you, they see all the public tweets you make (except for straight retweets of what you said, I think). When you @someone that someone (and all your followers, just ask Anthony Weiner) will see it, regardless if they are following you or not. And there's a way to send Direct Messages that everyone else won't see.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Update: "Channels" was a term being used esoterically by a tweet aggregator (twaggregator) to describe @s that they had set up.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

@BretEastonEllis

Whitney Houston: Yes, somewhere tonight Patrick Bateman is weeping, shocked but not surprised, and ordering three hookers instead of two...
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

@DrSamuelJohnson

Belov'd Readers: I find myself in Miami, a lawless Swamp, save for pastel Peelers Messrs CROCKETT & TUBBS #DrJMiami
@DrSamuelJohnson

Impress'd by Mister Jas. HARGREAVES' Spinning Jenny, I venture forth to inspect Miss Gloria ESTEFAN'S Sound Machine #DrJMiami
@capsworth

@DrSamuelJohnson Lo! Colonial statesman TH. JEFFERSON hath crafted a Flying CONTRAPTION & proposes to Construct a City from ROCKS that ROLL.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

@sarahlyall

British press can't quite cope with fact that US assistant of protocol is "a man named Randy Bumgardner," as the Telegraph describes him.

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

dbcooper wrote:
@sarahlyall

British press can't quite cope with fact that US assistant of protocol is "a man named Randy Bumgardner," as the Telegraph describes him.
Hilarious!

Mo

Post by Mo »

@felix salmon wrote:Not surprising: the National Organization for Marriage is the kind of place where memos are written in all-caps. http://t.co/imJh1UXv
Tee-hee
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

@altonbrown

@FoodNetwerk Okay so you can cuss. Unfortunately you're not funny. So, I'm sending this on to Food Network legal. Have a nice day.
What a cunt. All tv cooks must die.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

dbcooper wrote:
@altonbrown

@FoodNetwerk Okay so you can cuss. Unfortunately you're not funny. So, I'm sending this on to Food Network legal. Have a nice day.
I tried to see what inspired that comment, but it wasn't visible and clicking on the guy's name just brought up a message saying the account was suspended.

I really need to do something about Twitter. Even Jeff has a Twitter account now.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Foodnetwerk was a surly and curseword-laden parody account that he took exception to. What a spoil-sport that man is.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Jennifer wrote:
dbcooper wrote:
@altonbrown

I tried to see what inspired that comment, but it wasn't visible and clicking on the guy's name just brought up a message saying the account was suspended.

I really need to do something about Twitter. Even Jeff has a Twitter account now.
Tweetdeck is a nice front-end for it.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

THAT'S what Alton Brown reported? What a douche.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

I disagree. As far as I can tell from those images, that account was using Food Network's actual, trademarked logo. You can't do that in parody, and refusing to go after trademark violations can risk the trademark.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

dhex

Post by dhex »

yeah a bit more effort and it coulda lived on fer ever.

alton's cool though.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Eric the .5b wrote:I disagree. As far as I can tell from those images, that account was using Food Network's actual, trademarked logo. You can't do that in parody, and refusing to go after trademark violations can risk the trademark.
But Alton Brown didn't report him for that, but for being unfunny and using cuss words.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

I've gotta give him credit for re-tweeting a crack. I still hate TV cooking shows and all TV cooks though.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

And for that matter, Twitter doesn't suspend for parody, otherwise Fake AP Stylebook would be long gone.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Jennifer wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:I disagree. As far as I can tell from those images, that account was using Food Network's actual, trademarked logo. You can't do that in parody, and refusing to go after trademark violations can risk the trademark.
But Alton Brown didn't report him for that, but for being unfunny and using cuss words.
Nah, I think that he specifically mentioned the trademark too.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Jennifer wrote:
He didn't say that. He was snide about their cuss words and deemed them unfunny. Neither are things Food Network's legal department or Twitter care about.

Warren

Post by Warren »

I have long known that Alton Brown is a false profit. I was once an apostle. But I came to know the truth, that buried within the sage wisdom were malicious lies and false idols. Not the least of which: Kosher Salt.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Warren wrote:I have long known that Alton Brown is a false profit.
There's no accounting for your madness.

Highway

Post by Highway »

It's certainly not definitive, but when db posted that image yesterday, I thought "Why the hell is Food Network swearing and insulting people?" It took quite a few seconds to realize it was *not* Food Network's official twitter account, since the logo used was as close to real as it could be (It might be the real logo just dithered, it might be that he changed it to say 'Netwerk' like his name, but neither is legible nor clear). So I think this is a pretty clear-cut case of being unclear enough to be in trouble.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."